News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mudpup Waterdog's Customs and Repaints

Started by MudpupWaterdog, July 22, 2024, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudpupWaterdog

I've been doing some painting lately.

First up, a Safari Ltd. generic frog turned into a Green Frog. Here's the before and after:

And here's some other angles:

And another Safari figure, a Toob cockroach turned into an American cockroach (get the sandal!)

And finally, I got a dragonfly life cycle set from a Chinese brand because I wanted a dragonfly nymph figure. The collection had two nymphs, and this one was pretty ugly in lime green so I brushed a few browns over it to make it a little more realistic. It's not based on any real species, and doesn't even look much like a dragonfly nymph, but now at least it fits into the background of that stream diorama I made a few years ago.

sphyrna18

EpicRaptorMan

bmathison1972

Very nice; I have no talent for such things LOL

MudpupWaterdog

MudpupWaterdog

A dollar-store unpainted water buffalo for my Southeast Asia shelf.

Primed:

Painted:

It barely stands on its own and the mold lines are pretty obvious, but I want a domestic water buffalo and spending two dollars on this was easier and cheaper than tracking down the Safari Carabao.

EpicRaptorMan

Nice. Painting my giraffe weevil as we speak

bmathison1972

MudpupWaterdog

Some new repaints for another diorama project I'm putting together:

First up, made the AAA abalone a little more vibrant. I don't have the techniques or the paints to get the iridescence just right, but I think this looks better than AAA's dull green shading.

And a batch of Safari Toob sally lightfoot crabs repainted as striped shore crabs (Pachygrapsus crassipes)

All three are slightly different - I used different references for each one to add some variety.

bmathison1972

Love what you did with the crabs! It always kinda bothered me that it was so simply painted (esp. when earlier Safari promo pics showed more ornately painted).

MudpupWaterdog

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 16, 2024, 05:05:51 PMLove what you did with the crabs! It always kinda bothered me that it was so simply painted (esp. when earlier Safari promo pics showed more ornately painted).

Thanks! I love the IC Sally Lightfoot, I agree it's a shame the Toob version was just plain red. THe PV Galapagos series Sally Lightfoot is about the same size but so beautifully painted. And the Habitat Earth/PV striped shore crab is the right colors but just isn't shaped right.