News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Figures Made from Casts of Real Specimens

Started by Nyrorosaurus, January 12, 2024, 04:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyrorosaurus

As someone who is far less familiar with extant animal figures than I am with prehistoric ones, I was fascinated to learn a few months ago about the many AAA figures that were made from casts of real reptiles/invertebrates, and will probably be looking to acquire one or two in the near future. I learned even more recently (over at the Dinosaur Toy Blog) that many of Safari's older Incredible Creatures figures were also made with specimen casts. Is anyone familiar with any other toy companies that have made animal toys in this way?

AnimalToyForum

I can't think of any others.

It's not quite what you're looking for but there are some kits made by SD Toyz (Skullduggery)/Eyewitness that include fossils casts made from real specimens. I have a vague recollections of there being a similar set in the line moulded from small extant animals, e.g. frog, but I can't seem to find them so I'm probably misremembering. All the current animal sets I can find are just life size models, or scale models: https://www.sdtoyz.com/eyewitness-kits

bmathison1972

Some sets of insects out of Japan, notably the DeAgostini World Insect Data Book set and, I am pretty sure, the Insects of Japan series by Yujin were cast from actual specimens.