News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal figures to get

Started by Sim, September 20, 2023, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I have CollectA's although it is probably the largest of the 'standard' figures (but not uncomfortably so). Papo's is also very nice and a tad smaller than CollectA's. I would suggest one of those two, favoring CollectA's if scale isn't a strict issue.

Saarlooswolfhound

Ok, 2 apologies: one for the delay, and one for the poor quality/rushed photos.

Here is the Schleich and 2 Safari harpy eagles (one toob and one standard).

my 3 barns owls

close up to see patterning/colors

I have very few standard tiger sharks

And a couple of great whites

EpicRaptorMan

If the paint on the eye was better I would greatly prefer Schleich's harpy over SafariLtd.

I think SafariLtd's TOOB version is also better than the standard size too.

Sim

Thanks for the photos!  After seeing them I've ordered the CollectA barn owl.

Sim

Eagle-owl
The only two ones I'm considering are the Safari and Schleich 2015.  I'm not sure which I prefer and I'd only like to have one.

Great horned owl
For this species, I'm considering either the Safari or the Mojo.  They are in similar poses, is one better than the other?

bmathison1972

For both, I recommend Safari.

Saarlooswolfhound

I second that. But if you'd like to see them yourself I have both sets. And I will make better photos this time... ;)

SerAndrew

I would favour the Mojo great horned

EpicRaptorMan

I like the Mojo Great Horned Owl better as well. The only benefit SafariLtd's version has is it's more accurate zygodactyl feet. Other than that I find its stripes to be much too distinctive.

Sim

Thanks for the opinions everyone!  @Saarlooswolfhound if you're able to show them in a photo I'd appreciate it!

Saarlooswolfhound

I change my vote. I like the Schleich eagle owl better.  ;)

EpicRaptorMan

Woah I didn't know the SafariLtd Eagle Owl also lacked zygodactyls. I thought that was it's strong point over Schleich's.

But yeah, Schleich > SafariLtd Eagle Owl.
Mojo > SafariLtd Great Horned Owl — so much so that I'm tempted to buy the Mojo one and cut off the legs of SafariLtd's and glue them on xD

Gwangi

When it comes to the great horned owl I don't really like either of them.  :-\

Someone needs to make a GHO in a threat display.  8)

Shane

Just a heads up regarding the lack of zygodactyls on the eagle owl.

While perching, eagle owls (Genus Bubo in general, so including great horned owls) do not always perch with their toes in zygodactyl arrangement.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7317/11260056355_711223b598_b.jpg
https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:eco%2Cw_700/MTc0NjM5MDYwMDEzNDkyMTY5/birds-of-prey-the-eurasian-eagle-owl.webp
https://cdn.download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/145951811/1800

Technically, they don't always arrange them zygodactyl formation in flight either, so none of the examples from any of the brands shown are technically inaccurate.
https://www.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/photos/511026124/display_1500/stock-photo-flying-grey-horned-owl-511026124.jpg

Sim

Thanks very much @Saarlooswolfhound and @Shane!  I've decided to get the Safari eagle owl and Mojo great horned owl.

King cobra
My understanding is that some figures called "King cobra" are actually Indian cobras.  Out of what's left, the CollectA versions look hideous and inaccurate to me.  The Eikoh version appears to be the only good version?

Indian cobra
The Safari toob version looks excellent to me, even being labelled Indian cobra.  There are two colour versions of this figure, the one from the toob with simplified paintjobs actually seems to be very accurate to the real animal.  Is one version of this toob figure better than the other?  The Mojo version also looks very good to me.

bmathison1972

Yes, unfortunately many of the 'king cobras' are hybrids. I have the Mojo version, which from the front looks like a king, but an Indian on the back of the hood.

I have the Safari TOOB Indian for my 'official' Indian.

bmathison1972

Wow the back of the Mojo GHO looks really nice! From the front I always thought the paint was too plain, as typical for Mojo in recent years. But overall I still prefer Safari.

Saarlooswolfhound

I have most of these cobras if you want a comparison. The Safari toob one on the wiki, the blue background photos are mine. If that helps...

Sim

@Saarlooswolfhound, the photos by you on the wiki were helpful!  They gave me a good idea of what the current version of the toob figure is like and allowed me to compare it to the previous version.  If you have the Mojo cobra I'd appreciate a comparison photo of it with the Safari Sarcosuchus!

Saarlooswolfhound

I can oblige first thing tomorrow. :)