News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal figures to get

Started by Sim, September 20, 2023, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I have the Safari American flamingo (it has a base). I don't have a greater flamingo yet as none of them readily available appeal to me.

EpicRaptorMan

I have the older Schleich flamingo. I like it. According to AnimalToyWiki it is labeled as a Chilean Flamingo which I did not know.

I think I'm good on flamingos but I might get a lesser flamingo one day If one becomes available. Or I'll just repaint a smaller one from a different species/brand.

Sim

Well, I bought a set of Playmobil flamingos.  I never thought I would get something from Playmobil, but I love flamingos and hate permanent bases...  And importantly, the Playmobil flamingos son't look too unrealistic, they're really well done.  I think I can represent three different flamingo species with them, one for each colour scheme the Playmbil flamingos come in which is very nice!

Black swan
I would like a figure of this species very much, but it looks like the Safari, Papo and Schleich versions are all repainted mute swans which still have the boss/crest of the mute swan even though the black swan lacks it?  I did find one where the figure might have feathers on the head instead of the boss, but I wonder if it's a knock-off of the Papo black swan?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Figurine-Ecological-Figures-Toddlers-Project/dp/B0B674Z3D5

bmathison1972

Ah yes, the black swan issue.

I originally went with Science and Nature since it's an Australian figure of an Australian species: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Science_and_Nature_75341_Black_Swan

However it lacks the characterstic white ring around the beak.

I finally bought in the newer Schleich version (eBay, as it wasn't released in the US):
https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Schleich_72194_Black_Swan

It IS a repaint of a mute swan, BUT the bill knob is not as pronounced, so it is one of the few times I think repainting a mute swan works.

Papo's and Safari's don't work for both the prominent bill knob and the lack of a white ring.

Sim

Thanks for your thoughts @bmathison1972.  I notice that some black swan figures, like the Papo, lack the white wing feathers of this species.  I still wanted to get the Papo version but I can't find it anywhere!  Maybe it's for the best and another company will make a more accurate figure of this species.  CollectA or Mojo, perhaps?

Great white shark
The ones I've seen that appeal to me most are the 2016 Wild Safari, 2013 Schleich and 2018 Schleich.  However they all appear to be missing the upper jaw teeth?  Is there a better alternative to these?

EpicRaptorMan

I have the Papo great white. And it took me a very long time for me to make a decision on which one to get because I'm very size conscious and wanted one with a good head shape.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2023, 10:21:58 PMThanks for your thoughts @bmathison1972.  I notice that some black swan figures, like the Papo, lack the white wing feathers of this species.  I still wanted to get the Papo version but I can't find it anywhere!  Maybe it's for the best and another company will make a more accurate figure of this species.  CollectA or Mojo, perhaps?

Great white shark
The ones I've seen that appeal to me most are the 2016 Wild Safari, 2013 Schleich and 2018 Schleich.  However they all appear to be missing the upper jaw teeth?  Is there a better alternative to these?

those three are probably the best readily available. I have the 2016 Safari personally, but ya can't go wrong with any of them.

Gwangi

The two Schleich ones are the best in my opinion. The blog has reviews for both of them. I have the 2013 version and am content with it but if I didn't have it I would get the 2018, since the former is now retired. As for teeth, the 2013 version has a mostly closed mouth and when the jaw is closed the upper teeth are difficult to see anyway. Refer to the pictures below.

My biggest criticism of both Schleich figures is that they're small. The 2013 figures comes out at about 1/20 in scale for an 11' great white. For that reason I also have the Safari Monterey Bay Aquarium great white, which is an old figure but still excellent. It comes out at 1/18-1/25 in scale. In that scale range I cannot think of a better white shark. It also has teeth in the upper jaw.

JimoAi

Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2023, 10:21:58 PMThanks for your thoughts @bmathison1972.  I notice that some black swan figures, like the Papo, lack the white wing feathers of this species.  I still wanted to get the Papo version but I can't find it anywhere!  Maybe it's for the best and another company will make a more accurate figure of this species.  CollectA or Mojo, perhaps?

Great white shark

The Schleich 2018 is as good as it gets and the definitive white shark

JimoAi

Quote from: Gwangi on September 30, 2023, 12:34:33 AMThe two Schleich ones are the best in my opinion. The blog has reviews for both of them. I have the 2013 version and am content with it but if I didn't have it I would get the 2018, since the former is now retired. As for teeth, the 2013 version has a mostly closed mouth and when the jaw is closed the upper teeth are difficult to see anyway. Refer to the pictures below.

My biggest criticism of both Schleich figures is that they're small. The 2013 figures comes out between 1/44 and 1/38 in scale. For that reason I also have the Safari Monterey Bay Aquarium great white, which is an old figure but still excellent. It comes out at 1/18-1/25 in scale. In that scale range I cannot think of a better white shark. It also has teeth in the upper jaw.

The 2013 one is about 1:25 roughly since it's a male specimwn

Gwangi

Quote from: JimoAi on September 30, 2023, 11:52:41 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 30, 2023, 12:34:33 AMThe two Schleich ones are the best in my opinion. The blog has reviews for both of them. I have the 2013 version and am content with it but if I didn't have it I would get the 2018, since the former is now retired. As for teeth, the 2013 version has a mostly closed mouth and when the jaw is closed the upper teeth are difficult to see anyway. Refer to the pictures below.

My biggest criticism of both Schleich figures is that they're small. The 2013 figures comes out between 1/44 and 1/38 in scale. For that reason I also have the Safari Monterey Bay Aquarium great white, which is an old figure but still excellent. It comes out at 1/18-1/25 in scale. In that scale range I cannot think of a better white shark. It also has teeth in the upper jaw.

The 2013 one is about 1:25 roughly since it's a male specimwn

That's correct. For some reason I had 1/44 in my review for it, which after double checking the math is obviously a mistake. I don't know how that happened but I fixed it  in the review too. I wrote that review at the start of the COVID pandemic. I'll blame that for my mistake.  O:-)

Sim

Thanks for the replies guys!  I didn't know that the upper jaw teeth are not as visible when the jaw closes, that's helpful!

Tiger shark
Based on reviews I've read, the Monterey Bay Aquarium version seems the most accurate, but it doesn't appeal to me.  So I'd like to get one out of the Wild Safari and CollectA versions, as I don't think there are any other good options?  Which is better out of the Wild Safari and CollectA?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on September 30, 2023, 05:39:09 PMThanks for the replies guys!  I didn't know that the upper jaw teeth are not as visible when the jaw closes, that's helpful!

Tiger shark
Based on reviews I've read, the Monterey Bay Aquarium version seems the most accurate, but it doesn't appeal to me.  So I'd like to get one out of the Wild Safari and CollectA versions, as I don't think there are any other good options?  Which is better out of the Wild Safari and CollectA?

Monterey Bay is probably more accurate but it scales large next to other sharks. Personally I have the Wild Safari tiger shark, but it is missing a gill slit. Otherwise, it's a good option!

Gwangi

I don't have a tiger shark in my collection yet because I'm just not in love with any of the available options. And between Safari's and CollectA's I'm not sure which I prefer. Looking at Toy Animal Wiki I think the Colorata Sharks of the World tiger shark might be my favorite but that will be trickier to get ahold of I would think. Personally, I think I'll probably wait until some company released one I like better. I imagine that Schleich or Papo will do one eventually.

BlueKrono

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 30, 2023, 06:19:28 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 30, 2023, 05:39:09 PMThanks for the replies guys!  I didn't know that the upper jaw teeth are not as visible when the jaw closes, that's helpful!

Tiger shark

Monterey Bay is probably more accurate but it scales large next to other sharks. Personally I have the Wild Safari tiger shark, but it is missing a gill slit. Otherwise, it's a good option!

I'm attached to the MB tiger shark as it was one of my favorites growing up. Good to know it's still one of the best out there.
I like turtles.

Sim

I've been looking at penguin figures and I came across some I've never seen before.  I don't know if they are knock-offs?  An image of them is below:

Here is where I found them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/toymany-Realistic-Figurines-Antarctic-Different/dp/B0CFPL1FKN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=10QC2WU2EIWKJ&keywords=schleich%2Bpenguin&qid=1696194502&s=kids&sprefix=schleich%2Bpenguin%2Ctoys%2C362&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Does anyone know anything about them?

bmathison1972

Saarlooswolfhound started a thread for Toymany here: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=3250.0

From what I can tell, most of these look like original sculpts. I like the yellow-eyed penguin.

Saarlooswolfhound

Oh boy, penguins. And ones I can be excited about!

Sim

Barn owl
Safari's is attached to a base so it isn't an option for me.  I've been loving Mojo's extant animal figures, but I thought their barn owl seemed inferior to some other options as it doesn't have the speckled pattern.  However researching this species I've discovered that there is at least one subspecies where the males are often entirely spotless.  Then there's CollectA's and Papo's.  Both look excellent to me.  I'm thinking I don't need THREE barn owl figures, but I can't decide which to get!  Any help would be appreciated!

Saarlooswolfhound

I have all of these and can help with one or two other comparisons also. Stand by, I will try to snap a few photos later today.