News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Vaquita comeback - AI written propaganda?

Started by Shane, July 21, 2023, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

So bear with me here...I came across this article on the Microsoft homepage, that seems to be a positive leaning article about the Vaquita making a comeback:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/scientists-are-encouraged-by-the-surprising-discovery-of-one-of-the-world-s-most-endangered-species/

But the more I read it, the more A) it doesn't really say anything positive, just that in May a little more than a dozen Vaquitas were observed...not exactly promising, and scientists knew they still existed in these numbers, and B) the article seems to have a weirdly AI written feel to it.

The opening sentence starts "Vaquita, the 5-foot-long porpoise," which is a strange way to start a sentence.

The article also states "most people expected them to be extinct" and later "observers...feared these marine mammals were endangered." Both of which are just wrong - nobody thought they were extinct, just in very real danger of extinction, and they absolutely ARE endangered.

When I search for New articles about the Vaquita in Google, something interesting pops up. This article shows up at the top, followed by a number of recent articles about how the US government is warning Mexico that they are not doing enough to protect the Vaquita (though still not opting for sanctions)...

Very interesting that you have a bunch of articles about Mexico's failed response, and then an article peppered in there about how Vaquitas are doing just fine.

So I'm wondering...am I just paranoid? Does anyone else get the same feeling as me?

stargatedalek

It's just feel good clickbait. Even if it is AI generated (which I doubt), it would have still been human prompted. Either way it's lazy clickbait.