Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari ltd African Wild Dog PUP figure erased from history?

Started by andrewsaurus, June 06, 2023, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus

this figure seems to have vanished from history.  I can find no mention of it anywhere...not on ebay, google searches or Safari's website.  It's like it never existed but at one time was available all over the place.  What gives?

Note i am referring to the figure of the pup, not the adult dog figure.

Shane

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Safari_239829_African_Wild_Dog_Pup

Once a figure is no longer being produced for sale, it usually won't be found on Safari Ltd's website.

Especially considering figure was discontinued a dozen years ago.

When you Google search, you're likely to find active listings for similar items (like the African Wild Dog adult) because there are lots of stores and marketplaces with the active item that are doing everything they can to drive traffic to websites via SEO, so they want to be higher in the results.

I did find an archived ebay listing for the Pup figure, but no date on when it might have been active: https://picclick.co.uk/RARE-RETIRED-Safari-Ltd-Wild-Safari-African-Wild-303940730875.html

When it comes to discontinued Safari Ltd figures on eBay, there needs to be enough demand for the figure to come up in large numbers, otherwise you'll probably only see auctions pop up sporadically. As it's a smaller figure, it's unlikely a seller would get too much for it unless it's part of a lot. This is the way with a lot of retired figurines.

andrewsaurus

thanks for the explanation.  Usually I can find lots of references to long retired figures with little effort.   I found this one to be an exception to my usual experience when looking for OOP figures.   Freaked me out a bit.  :)

EpicRaptorMan

I've heard about this pup, but had never actually seen a picture of it.

Shane

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on June 07, 2023, 07:23:04 AMI've heard about this pup, but had never actually seen a picture of it.

I linked to two up there if you want to get a look!

Saarlooswolfhound

There have been several pop up on ebay recently. Just have to keep your eye out for them.

Shane

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 07, 2023, 02:39:30 PMThere have been several pop up on ebay recently. Just have to keep your eye out for them.

Like most retired Safari Ltd figures, I find the best way to be aware when they pop up is to set alerts or search for lots periodically.

bmathison1972

Erased from history? Seems a bit dramatic. it's not like every figure out there mysteriously disappeared...

If you want a retired Safari figure, I suggest doing frequent (daily?) eBay searches. That's how I finally got the opossum and a couple others whose names escape me at the moment.

Saarlooswolfhound

bmathison1972

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 29, 2023, 07:40:46 PMThere is a Safari wild dog pup in this lot!
Safari Pup lot

InGen must have cloned it after it was erased from history...