Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

what's your favourite figure line from any company.

Started by JimoAi, June 04, 2023, 01:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Starting this discussion as alot of collectors tend to mix and match figures across different lines to fit their needs but what if there's a company that you like and you mostly get items from their specific lines?

For me personally, it's the Papo Marine life range. There's a balance of fish, mammals, invertebrates and reptiles that many companies do not have or are scattered across different lines, abiet most are popular species to appeal to a more mainstream audience. While the figures are not 100% to scale, I feel that the size is right enough to feel it's from the same line and I really like the quality of the plastic being used, sans the leopard, blacktip and Scalloped being too big next to the other sharks and the right whale and elephant seal being too small. The line is getting better as the years progressed but there are some hiccups (White shark having wonky fin proportions and the Megalodon being a better and updated great white except for the enlarged second dorsal and anal fin, seams on the older sculpts like the white shark, dolphin and orca, Paint scheme of the narwhal and the tooth being white and some samples have one pectoral flipper being thinner than the other, octopus having 2 siphons though it's largely fixed with the little octopus coming out this year, blue whales and sperm whale having lackluster paint jobs though the sculpts are decent and the giant squid having suckers on almost the whole tentacle and looking too monster like. overall the line has really good sculptural accuracy and paint schemes for the most part and some figures like the whale shark, hammerhead shark, Spotted eagle ray and playing dolphin does look like they were made by and could match Japanese companies like kaiyodo interms of accuracy and quality.

going forward, I would like to see an updated great white, any sort of whip ray, tiger shark, a pilot whale, repaints of the narwhal and blue whales, any form of deep sea fauna especially fish and crustaceans, a moray eel, not marine but an electric eel but it would most likely be in the wild life range like the piranha, a sea snail, sea sponge, a porcupine fish, green turtle and maybe a sleeper shark

brettnj

I virtually exclusively collect only Kaiyodo figures--of all extinct and modern animal types.

To my collector's eye--no company comes close to what it has accomplished in terms of consistent quality/authenticity/complexity of paint and sculpture, and of course variety of species.

And they're small enough to not turn the hobby into a fiasco...

Plus I know a guy who gets me good deals...  ;  )

Brett

RyujinGodOfTheSea

This is a very tough question. I very much love Kaiyodo's AquaTales line, as well as anything Yujin makes. So I guess those two.