Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Ankole Watusi, Camargue, Carabao, Ongole cattle!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Glad to be of help! It is a nice model, for anyone who appreciates domesticated animals.

Saarlooswolfhound

Herefords!

This breed was developed in England during the 1700s to produce meat during the industrial revolution. They are known for their unique color, affable disposition, and downward curving horns (all cattle shown here are of the polled [hornless] variety). They were imported to the US in 1840; Kentucky had the first breeding herd. Today there are over 5 million pedigree animals in over 50 countries. One thing they are widely lauded for is the longevity of the animals; cows can produce calves beyond 15 years or older and bulls can be profitable at stud beyond 12 (many cattle breeds females begin to depreciate in reproduction success after 6 years, and bulls between 4 and 7 years old).

I love this breed (and holsteins) because my grandfather had them while I was growing up. He started out as a dairy farmer and then had to switch to beef cattle for reasons I won't bore you with here. I remember 2 individuals all us grand kids loved to visit; "crooked-neck" was a holstein who had gotten stepped on while a baby and her neck had a severe kink in it. My grandfather just couldn't get rid of her, she just had something extra special about her. He kept her in the barn and paddock areas instead of the field, I loved to go visit her and feed her all sorts of snacks. Then later there was Sampson, an old hereford bull that almost went to sale for meat before my grandfather intervened. He continued to be a great stud for many more years to come and he too was a true gentle giant. He would even come when called like a big red and white dog! I have many fond memories with those animals and thus cattle have a special spot in my collection.

Gwangi

I have a soft spot for Herefords also. I worked on a beef cattle farm for 11 years and along with angus cattle we had Herefords. I always liked their appearance and disposition. I've lived and worked around cattle for roughly half my life. I grew up on a dairy farm that raised Holsteins, although we had the occasional Jersey cow too, and my aunt used to raise Highland cattle in the Adirondacks. Only recently has my life been free of cattle and I miss them, so they have a special place in my collection too.   

Saarlooswolfhound

That's really great Gwangi, I would have loved growing up on a farm. I am a bit jealous of your experience.

Spanish fighting bulls (cattle)!

These animals have been bred in the Iberian peninsula for centuries for the sole purpose of bull fighting. They are handled by humans as little as possible in an effort to keep them as wild as possible. Many believe them to be direct descendants of the auroch (also called urus) that were worshipped by ancient cultures. Bull fighting has been an activity practiced by man for thousands of years. One of the earliest and most famous depictions of this is the Minoan fresco from Knossos, Crete "toreador fresco". A beautiful art piece, it shows 3 men engaged in a battle with an enormous bull.

Gwangi

I've contemplated getting the Mojo model of this breed. What are the three on the bottom left? They look like the same figure but with different paintjobs. They're lovely!

Saarlooswolfhound

Thanks Gwangi, I think the Mojo would be a good choice.

The bulls you ask about are from a small company in Spain, DeQube. They have several bulls in 2 poses; walking and with their heads down for a charge. They are phenomenal but difficult to come by. There is another brand too, Toros Bravos, they even have a cow figure but they are difficult to obtain also.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 21, 2024, 05:21:07 PMThanks Gwangi, I think the Mojo would be a good choice.

The bulls you ask about are from a small company in Spain, DeQube. They have several bulls in 2 poses; walking and with their heads down for a charge. They are phenomenal but difficult to come by. There is another brand too, Toros Bravos, they even have a cow figure but they are difficult to obtain also.

Thanks! I suppose I will get that Mojo one after all. lol

bmathison1972

I am on the fence about getting this particular breed but it is an aesthetically pleasing one. I am leaning towards one of the newer Papo models.

Saarlooswolfhound

It is a very nice looking cattle breed. That's why I appreciate them from the breeding standpoint because these are essentially "feral" cows in most cases and they behave like wild cattle species do. If I may pitch one to you Blaine, the tricolor papo bull is my favorite.

EpicRaptorMan

I don't go for domestic animals, but I do have a Texas Longhorn in the collection.

This is one that I've considered getting but unsure.

snailtime

I'm not often interested in cattle, but I have to admit your posts have taught me to appreciate them a lot more! Thanks for sharing. I love the variety in the Spanish fighting bulls.

Saarlooswolfhound

@EpicRaptorMan longhorns are coming! That's a great breed to have if you make an exception.

@snailtime that makes me glad! A lot of people don't appreciate the domestics but we really wouldn't be here without them. I am glad I could teach you a little about them.

Avian page is finally live! After lots of work fixing kinks with the page...

The Curious Compendium Home Page

TCC Avian Page

Saarlooswolfhound

Boer, Angora, and dwarf goats!

Boer goats are so named for the dutch word for "farmer". These are the heaviest goats out there with does ranging from 190-230 lbs and bucks 200-340 lbs! They are known for their hardiness in hot climates (hailing from Africa), docile temperament, hardy against parasites, and high fertility rates. They also are useful for sustainable farming practices, and due to their foraging behavior they reduce invasive plants and increase natural biodiversity in pasture and rangeland.

bmathison1972

I haven't really expanded on goats yet, but have been eyeing the Papo Angora.

Saarlooswolfhound

The Papo Angora is indeed a nice one! Both goats and sheep sadly are not as developed in toy form as cattle or horses etc... I hope to keep seeing developements as we have the last the year or two.

Charolais Cattle!
Charolais cattle!

These are one of the oldest breeds known; the first record of them is from 878 A.D.! They hail from the Charolles and Nievre provinces in France and were originally used more in an oxen/draft type role. These animals are classicly known for their white/cream color, but recently have been developed to have red and black varieties also. While the breed itself is usually considered a beef animal, they are crossed both to other beef breeds as well as dairy breeds. Animals were brought to Mexico in the early 1930s and later were brought to the US market. The breed did take a little time to catch further North in the continent due to an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease, but once this was addressed by Mexico, the US, nd Cananada, the flashy white muscled cattle quickly became popular.

Saarlooswolfhound

Texas Longhorns!

Texas Longhorns are a breed that originated from the mixing of Spanish and English cattle. The breed was slowly developed in the 1800s once English cattle reached Texad, then mixing with the already present Spanish cattle. Because of the ranch culture at the time, these animals were allowed to graze on the open range; when rounded up again, sometimes individuals were missed and left out in the wild and became feral. These "maverick" cattle (feral and unbranded) are what began the American cowboy culture while settlers coming home from the Civil War could make a living by funding these animals, branding them, and starting their own ranches.

Longhorns horns can reach longer than 10 feet wide! The longer the horn the lest of an upward twist will be present. These hardy cattle are able to withstand harsh conditions and are known for being a great breed for areas like Texas.

bmathison1972

Longhorns are awesome! I have CollectA's most recent. If I remember correctly, the only breed specifically adapted to an environment endemic to North America (especially southern TX, as you mention, and adjacent Mexico).

Gwangi

I still need a longhorn for my collection. I've seen the black Schleich cow at TSC but didn't like it much, even though I typically like Schleich cattle. If I go with Schleich I'll probably get the brown and white bull but I like CollectA's too.

Saarlooswolfhound

They really are amazing animals and have a rich history in US western culture. Even just the fact of their feral origins is so interesting to me. I mean they had to endure crazy habitat extremes, and at the time of the late 1800s and early 1900s they had to deal with mountain lions, black bears, grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, and even jaguars! And they will have to deal with many of these animals again as jaguars are slowly creeping back into the southern states. TLHs are tough as nails!

I really like Schleich's recent bull, the CollectA is wonderful, and the Mojos are some of my favorites.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 26, 2024, 04:11:58 PMThey really are amazing animals and have a rich history in US western culture. Even just the fact of their feral origins is so interesting to me. I mean they had to endure crazy habitat extremes, and at the time of the late 1800s and early 1900s they had to deal with mountain lions, black bears, grizzlies, wolves, coyotes, and even jaguars! And they will have to deal with many of these animals again as jaguars are slowly creeping back into the southern states. TLHs are tough as nails!

I really like Schleich's recent bull, the CollectA is wonderful, and the Mojos are some of my favorites.

The Mojos caught my eye too but the other two edged them out.