Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023-2024: Bull terriers!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

That's great Sim! I have one more photo I think of smaller parrots, one of budgies, and then a few more of tropical species. But birds in general have about 3ish more weeks of presentation!

Blaine, your puns always make my day! ;) That one was especially good.

Sim

Is the middle green macaw on the riser a customised figure?

Saarlooswolfhound

Both of the military macaws that are not the big Bullyland figure are repaints of mine.

Sim

bmathison1972

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 22, 2024, 10:10:52 PMBoth of the military macaws that are not the big Bullyland figure are repaints of mine.

Wow, coulda fooled me! I was going to ask about them, too!

Saarlooswolfhound

Oh you both flatter me... Thank you! I am actually in the process of re-repainting the relaxed macaw (and a toucan) because the fixatif had some sort of weird reaction from the recent move and got all sticky. So it will look slightly different once done.

Saarlooswolfhound

Mixed small parrots

Kākāriki are named for the Maori word for "small parrot". One notable thing I read is that the male does not feed chicks directly; he will pass foraged food to his female mate who will then feed their chicks with it.

EpicRaptorMan

I acquired an Amazon Green-cheeked parrot a few months back. It was a great deal because I bought four of them on eBay for only $15 and managed to sell the remaining three for $10/piece.

Saarlooswolfhound

That was fortunate! Its a great model.

Budgies!

These guys historically have gone by a few names; canary parrot, shell parrot, zebra parrot, warbling grass parakeet, and undulated parakeet. Budgies originally were green and yellow. A yellow morph was developed with captive breeding, but the first blue wasn't developed until 1878! Lastly, there are now 2 known types: the Australian (closer to its wild ancestors in physique) and the English (slightly larger bodied and bred specifically for the pet trade).

Saarlooswolfhound

For us in the states it was a holiday weekend, and a very nice break for me. :) Anyway, white storks!

These guys can live to be 50 in captivity, but the oldest recorded wild bird got to be 39! This species features prominently in many mythologies where they are found in the world. And lastly, they appear on roughly 120 stamps for a out 60 different postal organizations!

Saarlooswolfhound

More water birds.

Scarlet ibises are born black and develop their red feathers around 18 months old. Chicks can also swim long before they learn to fly! This bird is featured on the Trinidad's 1$ bill.

bmathison1972

It's about time! What have you been wading for?  :P

EpicRaptorMan

Would love to find that roseate Spoonbill from SafariLtd.

Also. I have the Scarlet Ibis shown, but, SafariLtd made a different posed variant that is more upright

Gwangi

The Safari roseate spoonbill is high on my most wanted list, that is until someone makes another one anyway. The only spoonbill I have is the 2022 Papo Eurasian spoonbill, which you don't appear to have.

Saarlooswolfhound

I really am impressed by your puns Blaine, they always surprise me!  8)

I didn't realize there was a stance variant of the ibis. The papo spoonbill will join my shelves eventually, I just haven't gotten to buying that figure just yet.

Sim

I wonder if the more upright Safari ibis is just how the figure originally is and the more bending down ibises are the same figure where the weight has warped them a bit.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound link=msg=42531  ;D date=1717019025I really am impressed by your puns Blaine, they always surprise me!  8)

I didn't realize there was a stance variant of the ibis. The papo spoonbill will join my shelves eventually, I just haven't gotten to buying that figure just yet.

I figured you would get it eventually.  ^-^

EpicRaptorMan

This is my TOOB Scarlet Ibis and It, and others that I've seen, are more erect.
1000001570.png

Saarlooswolfhound

I'm not sure that its necessarily the stance. My guess is the figure reflects conditions in the toob. I.e. I vividly remember getting this toob for Christmas years ago, and I know the models were jammed inside the plastic tubing and were VERY difficult to get out of the small lid opening. I have learned its easier to open the bottom of the tube instead, since the plastic lid/cap they use has an even more restricted opening. Mine probably got crammed and suffered a dipped posture because of it, where yours might not have.

But who knows, maybe they did adjust the plastic or something at some point.

EpicRaptorMan

Well IDK. I did specifically choose this one over the ones that were more tilted for aesthetic purposes. So who knows.