News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerAndrew

Hope the grey thing is a WoW figure!
I have no more space for sharks :(
But of course will get a beautiful new species

JimoAi

the shark cannot be a frilled, six or seven gilled shark not can it be a basking, whale, great white, any of the 2 makos, porbeagles or salmon

JVM

Just submitted my order for both of the new toobs, hoping there's more to come, love the new New Zealand animals and the European ones!

bmathison1972

the feathered grey thing could be a dinosaur, but let's hope it's an African grey parrot!

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 24, 2023, 11:10:54 AMthe feathered grey thing could be a dinosaur, but let's hope it's an African grey parrot!
Or another fantasy. The blue one likely for sure is one.

sbell

It would be cool if the snake was some kind of viper. But probably a rattler.

The shark looks familiar, I can't quite place it.

Saarlooswolfhound

The coloration could possibly be a puff adder, but I welcome any member of the viper family. Same for me on the shark, the gill pattern strikes me as familiar but I can't place it either.

sbell

I think Safari on Facebook just gave away the new shark.

I'd share a photo but I can't get it to work from Google photos or OneDrive. Which is generally why I don't post photos on the forum anymore.

The 4th and 5th gill slits have the same shape if you can find their shark week post.

Alopias superciliosus

Great eye @sbell ! I know those L-shaped gills were familiar; they did the same thing with their toob silky shark (even though it's not terribly accurrate...) which is the figure in that image. So guessing it's going to be a mainline larger size silky shark, which makes sense as it's the only shark from that toob not to have a larger size model!

sbell

Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on July 25, 2023, 02:48:09 AMGreat eye @sbell ! I know those L-shaped gills were familiar; they did the same thing with their toob silky shark (even though it's not terribly accurrate...) which is the figure in that image. So guessing it's going to be a mainline larger size silky shark, which makes sense as it's the only shark from that toob not to have a larger size model!
[quote authteor=Alopias superciliosus link=msg=37610 date=1690249689]
Great eye @sbell ! I know those L-shaped gills were familiar; they did the same thing with their toob silky shark (even though it's not terribly accurrate...) which is the figure in that image. So guessing it's going to be a mainline larger size silky shark, which makes sense as it's the only shark from that toob not to have a larger size model!
[/quote]

Thanks for the ID. I knew the gills were distinct.

Forgot about the silky shark. I was guessing sharpnose.

BlueKrono

A silky shark would be an insta-buy for me, or any other new shark species. I love Safari sharks. I'd buy any viper, but you're right, it's more likely a rattlesnake. Would probably sell better to an American audience.
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: sbell on July 25, 2023, 03:01:58 AM
Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on July 25, 2023, 02:48:09 AMGreat eye @sbell ! I know those L-shaped gills were familiar; they did the same thing with their toob silky shark (even though it's not terribly accurrate...) which is the figure in that image. So guessing it's going to be a mainline larger size silky shark, which makes sense as it's the only shark from that toob not to have a larger size model!
[quote authteor=Alopias superciliosus link=msg=37610 date=1690249689]

Thanks for the ID. I knew the gills were distinct.

Forgot about the silky shark. I was guessing sharpnose.
[/quote]

I just realized that the silky comes from the Pelagic Fishes toob. I forgot about that! Makes sense for sure now!

EpicRaptorMan

Any new shark species would be fun but I'm honestly getting tired of getting so many sharks. I know they sell, but that's a large majority of my aquatic collection.

Would like a Japanese Bullhead, cookiecutter or an Epaulette...but guess not this year.

Saarlooswolfhound

I too have a lot of sharkz
s. For me, some brands are well known for their big cats, cattle, horses, sculpts etc. but I appreciate that Safari has singlehandedly chosen to represent the shark family. Its great PR for this group, educating the upcoming generation, and with the modern culture of Discovery's Shark Week, NatGeoWild's Shark Fest, and other piggybacking tv programs it helps the brand's bottom line. I'm happy with that. :)

And IC cookie cutter would be superb.

JimoAi

if it's a silky shark I'll pass for the time being as I already have a shark in the carcharhinus genus

BlueKrono

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 25, 2023, 05:10:26 AMI too have a lot of sharkz
s. For me, some brands are well known for their big cats, cattle, horses, sculpts etc. but I appreciate that Safari has singlehandedly chosen to represent the shark family. Its great PR for this group, educating the upcoming generation, and with the modern culture of Discovery's Shark Week, NatGeoWild's Shark Fest, and other piggybacking tv programs it helps the brand's bottom line. I'm happy with that. :)

And IC cookie cutter would be superb.

A lemon shark was my most wanted shark species for most of my life, until Safari came through bigtime in 2018. Now it's the cookiecutter.
I like turtles.

Gwangi

I began collecting sharks long before I started collecting extant animals in general, and that was due to the unique assortment of species that Safari has been providing. Safari could release a shark or two every year and I would never get tired of it. Safari seems to be fond of snakes too lately and I think that's also great. Pretty sure that tease is of a western diamondback. Good snake figures are lacking I think. Hopefully Safari branches off into more interesting and obscure species eventually.

bmathison1972

it makes sense if that TOOB figure was a 'teaser' of a larger version to come. Well, I don't have a silky shark, so it's an immediate 'yes' for me if that's the case! Sean also suggested a sharpnose shark, which would also be an instant yes

Alopias superciliosus

Sharpnose would make a lot of sense too (the toob silky shark looks a lot like a sharpnose) but I'm guessing it's just going to be the upsized silky. Holding up the toob figure to the gills image from the teaser, it's essentially the same mold, the fin even jutting out at the same place. Maybe it will be another requiem shark they've molded in the same style as the silky, but I'm guessing it'll just be the silky.

As a shark synoptic collector, little annoyed since I bought the Pelagic toob just so I could add a silky to my collection; should've just waited for the larger size so it fits in more with my collection! All good though, excited for a "new" species to be given the proper, larger scale treatement  :'(  ;D

And @EpicRaptorMan, totally agree with the Epaulette Shark- it's my favorite shark and has such a unique look, so surprised no company has made a model of it yet (besides the old rubber Wild Republic one which left off the "epaulettes"  ::) ) Safari could honestly just recolor their bamboo shark to make one easily (although the pectoral fins wouldn't be the exact shape...)

JimoAi

I assume the figures would be revealed on Thursday and Friday like last week