News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 03:53:00 PMI'll not start a new owl-gate with this one.
Sorry if you have been offended by my reaction.

I think a lot of expectation was generated with this cetacean release to be a new species, which would have been a brave move from Safari.
But, hey, I'm an animal freak and would like to add this rarity to my collection.

I am totally willing to engage with legitimate criticism of figures, that's what these discussions are for, but "what a joke" seems reductive and hyperbolic. Explaining why you feel that way would go further toward actually facilitating discussions and communicating your views beyond just being negative for the sake of it.

If you're disappointed it's an Orca, that's fine and acceptable and I'm sorry you feel that way. Thank you for clarifying your comments.

The expectation of a new species, that's understandable, but there's not much that can be done about runaway speculation. Many did deduce it was an Orca, just not what kind.

I'm not asking anyone to lavish unearned praise on any figure; I just would prefer it personally if people explain their feelings, negative or positive, and don't resort to insulting comments without qualifying them.

I do appreciate your disappointment. I can accept that not everyone will be pleased, but that's not an invalidation of your feelings and opinions.

While perhaps it is just "another" Orca, it's worth noting that just about every figure of an Orca is a "default" Orca, when there are actually many different Orca types with unique physical characteristics, the Type D being one of the more extreme examples. I would hope that there are those who would be excited (as I am) to begin highlighting the diversity among Orca types in figure form.

JimoAi

I do love that this figure is an improvement over the 2019 one with the added blowhole. My main gripe is more if a personal thing and I do wish it was larger like may of safari sea life figures but doesn't detract away from the figure. to be honest the figure is in a dynamic pose so the 6 inch length given may not 100% be accurate as if the figure was in a neutral pose, it may be a tad longer. Im likely skipping this one as I am content with my Schleich orca and I would like to save my money for other figures that are on my buylist or any of the future releases that Safari is revealing

Can't wait to see what's next tomorrow and the coming weeks!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on July 20, 2023, 03:58:26 PMThe expectation of a new species, that's understandable, but there's not much that can be done about runaway speculation...

perfect response; you beat me to the punch Shane :)

Nice sculpt and paint job! I think it's neat to make an attempt to cover different populations of killer whale. I have the previous Safari killer whale (2019), so I probably won't get this, but ya never know.

I'll try to update the first post tonight or over the weekend.

Saarlooswolfhound

Hurray! I love this new model. Its a dynamic pose, a specific type, it looks different than any other orca in characteristics. Would I have been more excited for something even more unique? Sure. But this is a valiant effort by Safari to present something new. I applaud them for it. Thank you for sharing Shane!

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on July 20, 2023, 04:07:51 PMI do love that this figure is an improvement over the 2019 one with the added blowhole. My main gripe is more if a personal thing and I do wish it was larger like may of safari sea life figures but doesn't detract away from the figure. to be honest the figure is in a dynamic pose so the 6 inch length given may not 100% be accurate as if the figure was in a neutral pose, it may be a tad longer. Im likely skipping this one as I am content with my Schleich orca and I would like to save my money for other figures that are on my buylist or any of the future releases that Safari is revealing

Can't wait to see what's next tomorrow and the coming weeks!

That's true, its body has a curvature. The 6" measurement is to the tip of the extended fluke. I did a bit of a curved measurement, and it is still jussssst about 6 inches from tip of snout to the notch in the fluke.

SerAndrew

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 03:53:00 PMI'll not start a new owl-gate with this one.
Sorry if you have been offended by my reaction.

I think a lot of expectation was generated with this cetacean release to be a new species, which would have been a brave move from Safari.
But, hey, I'm an animal freak and would like to add this rarity to my collection.
Quote from: Shane on July 20, 2023, 03:53:00 PMI am totally willing to engage with legitimate criticism of figures, that's what these discussions are for, but "what a joke" seems reductive and hyperbolic. Explaining why you feel that way would go further toward actually facilitating discussions and communicating your views beyond just being negative for the sake of it.

If you're disappointed it's an Orca, that's fine and acceptable and I'm sorry you feel that way. Thank you for clarifying your comments.

The expectation of a new species, that's understandable, but there's not much that can be done about runaway speculation. Many did deduce it was an Orca, just not what kind.

I'm not asking anyone to lavish unearned praise on any figure; I just would prefer it personally if people explain their feelings, negative or positive, and don't resort to insulting comments without qualifying them.

I do appreciate your disappointment. I can accept that not everyone will be pleased, but that's not an invalidation of your feelings and opinions.

While perhaps it is just "another" Orca, it's worth noting that just about every figure of an Orca is a "default" Orca, when there are actually many different Orca types with unique physical characteristics, the Type D being one of the more extreme examples. I would hope that there are those who would be excited (as I am) to begin highlighting the diversity among Orca types in figure form.

Will just say that I also like to display unique features or characteristics of species in my collection. The different fenotypes of orcas is one of them and that's why I'll be getting this one.

Is there an expected date for it to be available in Europe? Or do we know how long it normally takes to the usual online shops to get these models?

Also, did you said there will be similar reveals in the upcoming weeks? Could you give more information on when and how many?

Thanks

Shane

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 04:55:32 PMWill just say that I also like to display unique features or characteristics of species in my collection. The different fenotypes of orcas is one of them and that's why I'll be getting this one.

Is there an expected date for it to be available in Europe? Or do we know how long it normally takes to the usual online shops to get these models?

Also, did you said there will be similar reveals in the upcoming weeks? Could you give more information on when and how many?

Thanks

Then this figure is for you!

As for future reveals, I believe the ones shown in the tail teaser image will be revealed today and tomorrow.

There should be additional reveals during the next 3 or 4 weeks as well.

Regarding when Europe will get them, unfortunately that's up to the EU distributor. We offer them the new products when they're available, and it's up to them to choose what to order. We encourage them to carry all the new stuff I believe but it's really up to them.

These should probably be expected in the USA warehouse September-ish.

BlueKrono

I can't help but be disappointed, but Shane is right: that is only because of my own expectation. It's still a lovely orca. I can always hold out hope for a Lissodelphis. There's always next year.
I like turtles.

SerAndrew

Artic fox revealed on IG

sphyrna18

That's a pretty awesome Orca figure - I had hoped it would be a different subtype than the usual, "default" orca, and I am really glad that those hopes have been realized.  Safari has always made the best orca figures, IMO, from the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection figure in the early 90's to the new Wild Safari Sea Life figure in 2019 (ok, the original Wild Safari figure featured those weird eye patches, but the sculpt was really good, and the new one is missing a blowhole somehow, but otherwise...).  This new figure will definitely be joining my personal collection, and I look forward to getting it in stock in my store and seeing how people respond. 

Likewise, that is a really good looking Arctic Fox.  Again, it will be joining my personal collection and should get a lot of attention from my customers!  People seem to really love Arctic Foxes.

Saarlooswolfhound

Excited for the fox! A very nice sculpt overall. I would like to see one in a summer coat someday, but I understand why the winter coat is the standard. Thank you SerAndrew and Shane!

bmathison1972

WOW what an amazing Arctic fox! I don't need to replace the one I have, but it's a great figure!!! Love the 'dirty wash'!

Gwangi

I don't have an arctic fox yet, this might be the one for me.

yourbeckquin

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PMSafari's 2023 reveals have begun:

North American Wildlife:

Mountain lion:

Wings of the World:

Great Grey Owl:

Incredible Creatures:

Leopard gecko:

Tuatara:

Wild Safari Prehistoric World:

Majungasaurus:

Estemmenosuchus:

Utahraptor:

TOOBS:

Australian Continent TOOB:

European Animals:

Thanks for sharing the Australian Continent TOOB! The detailed animal figurines look awesome, and it's inspired me to expand my own collection

EpicRaptorMan

The orca and the Arctic fox are pretty disappointing, but I knew for certain I wouldn't be getting the fox. Realistically Safari LTD would have been better off just repainting current Orca models to represent the type A, type B, type c, type d variants if they're looking to increase profit margins. Would be cool if you really loved orcas specifically, but that's not me. Still better than the owl.
However, Shane did say nobody had guessed it *exactly* right but c'mon now — it's still an orca.

Now we'll see about the emerald boa, but I do not have the highest expectations for that one all things considered.

bmathison1972

Updated first post with Arctic Fox and Type D Killer Whale

So far, Safari is having a great 2023

I'm not a collector that expects every release every year by every company to be something I need to buy. It's OK to acknowledge a good figure, even if I don't need or have no interest in buying.

Gwangi

I'm glad the type D orca is not a repaint. I wouldn't want it if it was. But I am somewhat surprised they didn't do that considering they painted a bearded dragon to look like a rock agama. I still consider that a bogus move from Safari.

callmejoe3

Just found out about the Type D killer whale from my Twitter feed today. Honestly, it's the most sensible choice of ecotype if a manufacturer were to commit to portraying the different ecotypes since Type D's are easily the most distinct, even when compared to the Ross Sea/Type C ecotype.

EpicRaptorMan

They've done repaints before. Dinosaur repaints, the one Gwangi mentioned, and the Koi fish repaint.

But I did catch how Shane said there will be more releases in 3-4 months.