News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

A whale collector I know is guessing a fin whale or bryde's whale (or close relative). Personally I agree. The shape of the fluke shown here to me looks wider set laterally and not as deep (the thickest part isn't as thick or flared as you see in other species). I am hopeful for a new cousin to accompany their recent sei and minke whales. But of course, it could very well be a calf for an existing model.

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: JimoAi on July 18, 2023, 09:15:52 AM
Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 18, 2023, 09:01:00 AMArctic fox, emerald tree boa, dragon, unsure on the cetacean fluke? At first I thought it was the Commerson's Dolphin or Southern Right Whale dolphin but the coloration or pattering isn't accurate.

Probably just another Orca or Humpback

unlikely humpback.
I don't really think it's a humpback, but it can always go both ways, especially if the toys are scientifically inaccurate to begin with.

EpicRaptorMan

I mean even if it is a northern or southern right whale dolphin.... The pattern on the bottom side of the fluke would be inaccurate in the first place. Below is a photo of a beached northern species. As well as a photo comparing the northern (top) and southern (bottom).

So I don't have any. Hope that it is either one of these and probably just another dupe

SerAndrew

I've just checked and I've been without any new Safari sin 2019 (when I got 5!).

I didn't had much expectations in this cetacean since I immediately assumed it will be a baby orca (boring).
But let's see if they surprise us! Right whale dolphin would be cool, as well as fin/bryde whale at the scale of the sei

Shane

SerAndrew

Cooool!Thanks @Shane

I still think there are a lot of interesting animals children will enjoy playing (and learning) with that can also be appreciated by collectors. It's a win-win.

Shane

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 19, 2023, 01:44:35 PMCooool!Thanks @Shane

I still think there are a lot of interesting animals children will enjoy playing (and learning) with that can also be appreciated by collectors. It's a win-win.

I can't go too far in confirming or denying anything, but just wanted to point out that it's not a baby orca.

These four will be fully revealed tomorrow and Friday.

I'm pretty excited about the cetacean personally; hopefully others will feel the same.

I will say that nobody so far has guessed it *exactly* right that I've seen.

JimoAi

oh well I'm saying it's either an adult Orca, northern right whale dolphin or spectacled porpoise.

Anyways, will there be a shark this year from safari? would be hyped to see it

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on July 19, 2023, 02:46:47 PMoh well I'm saying it's either an adult Orca, northern right whale dolphin or spectacled porpoise.

Anyways, will there be a shark this year from safari? would be hyped to see it

Not able to comment specifically on that, but as sharks tend to do fairly well it's usually a safe bet that you'll see some sharks in the future.

sphyrna18

Quote from: Shane on July 19, 2023, 02:32:22 PMI can't go too far in confirming or denying anything, but just wanted to point out that it's not a baby orca.

I will say that nobody so far has guessed it *exactly* right that I've seen.

Ok... not a baby orca.  A female orca.

Saarlooswolfhound

The fluke looks rather wide laterally and not as deep (at least to my eye). It also lacks the drastic curvature of an orca for example (they have rather deep and "squarer" tail flukes).

The other two are, to me, clearly an arctic fox to replace their dated one and an emerald tree boa. Of course the fantasy figure is anyone's guess.

BlueKrono

The coolest possibility I could imagine would be hybrid between a dusky and a right whale dolphin.
https://www.deviantart.com/namu-the-orca/art/Southern-right-whale-dolphin-339633668
I like turtles.

EpicRaptorMan

The Southern Right Whale Dolphin would've been the coolest, but we pretty much got confirmation that it's not that.

Gwangi

Oh wow, that's pretty neat. I had always hoped companies might make different orca types but never thought any of them actually would. I'll be getting this one when it is available.

JimoAi

what's the scale of this one? at least it has a blowhole this time but the size may be off putting for me at the moment unless it's one of the smaller ecotypes

SerAndrew

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on July 20, 2023, 03:28:17 PMwhat's the scale of this one? at least it has a blowhole this time but the size may be off putting for me at the moment unless it's one of the smaller ecotypes

It measures 6 inches in length, like the previous Safari Orca figure (btw, a blowhole paint app has been added to that figure), which I believe on a 32 foot animal would be 1:64 scale? I don't believe enough is known about Type D to determine average size; I'm going by the general Orca size of 32 feet.

Shane

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 03:38:21 PMWhat a joke

Listen, I always try to engage in good faith in as diplomatic and constructive ways as possible on these forums, but...what are you really hoping to accomplish with this type of comment?

SerAndrew

Quote from: Shane on July 20, 2023, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 03:38:21 PMWhat a joke

Listen, I always try to engage in good faith in as diplomatic and constructive ways as possible on these forums, but...what are you really hoping to accomplish with this type of comment?

I'll not start a new owl-gate with this one.
Sorry if you have been offended by my reaction.

I think a lot of expectation was generated with this cetacean release to be a new species, which would have been a brave move from Safari.
But, hey, I'm an animal freak and would like to add this rarity to my collection.