News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Interesting Blaine... now that you mention it, lots of the recent toobs have an insect of some kind. Correct me if I am wrong, but the only other toob missing one the recent Asia toob.

That being said, a reptile or amphibian would have been welcome too. My only "complaint" (not really one at all as I love this new offering) is I would have liked to see some sort of canid... but oh well, its a great selection of figures. Maybe someday they can do a fox species toob or other similar canid selection.

I wonder if they will do more regional sets. In North America alone there are several regions that could be updated.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 23, 2023, 06:27:11 PM@bmathison1972 I'm interested in just the stork if you'd be willing to part with it.

@BlueKrono - I'll probably keep the entire TOOB for the time being, as I may work Safari TOOBs into my general collection anyway. I'll lyk if I change my mind.

Isidro

I may end accepting the capercaillie, as my wished Bullyland one probably is impossible to get at an affordable price.

Gwangi

Hey @Shane, do you know which Safari figures are being retired this year?

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on May 23, 2023, 03:48:26 PMwonder if the European eel works as a conger
Just track down the yujin one. It's not very expensive as long as you can get it out of Japan

sbell

Quote from: Isidro on May 23, 2023, 06:26:24 AMI'm curious that a TOOB called "Australian continent" includes four New Zealanders. They should call the TOOB "Oceania continent" so they could include also some New Guinean or New Caledonian or even Polynesian/Fijian/Samoan species. New Zealand is not Australia.

If we're being really pedantic and geology minded, New Zealand is on the eastern edge of the Australian continental plate, so the toob name is technically correct... from a certain point of view.

JimoAi

hoping for an aquatic reveal soon!

Gwangi

That's exciting. We need more good mountain lions. I don't have one so I'll probably get this one.

Saarlooswolfhound

Oooh, that will be a superb female to pair with their older male sculpt. Love it!

bmathison1972

That's an amazing new mountain lion!  I am pretty happy with the older Safari one, so I won't be getting this. But I think this new Safari one trumps anything from Papo  ;D  8)  O:-)

I'll try to upload the first post this weekend with this mountain lion and the Estemmenosuchus.

Isidro

Quite the very same style than the older Safari cougar. The face looks like a clone. But the pose is infinitely better. Really an improvement over the old wonky weird Safari cougar with bend legs. But still at eons of the absolutely unbeatable Papo cougar, there is nothing can compare remotely to this level of perfection :)

EpicRaptorMan

I have the older Mountain Lion and it's pretty good but I think I like this one better based on the official photo.

The old ones, for some reason, never had straight pupils. Mine is severely cross eyed LOL

Saarlooswolfhound

Having custom repainted and in limited cases resculpted some pieces, it can be really hard to judge placement for symmetry. Whether that be the eyes themselves or painting pupils, I have had to redo many of them in my works until I got it right...

I still love the older model. I grew up with mountain lions being local, and have seen some large and muscled tom cougars in person. I liked the original Mojo as its more slender body type was more typical of a female. But I think this model may be a better representative of that, or even a young tom.

Not much hope, but my fingers will always be crossed for some sort of canine offering!

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on June 02, 2023, 05:21:41 PMhoping for an aquatic reveal soon!

Just saw live butterfly rays for the first time. Now I really want a figure of one

Isidro

Butterfly rays are some of my favourite rays since ever, and in 2017 I saw my first and, at the moment, only alive one. I always wanted to make a figure of it for my collection, but I stopped making figures many months ago for lack of time and space. That McDonald's ray (just marketed as "Ray" so will be difficult to track) clearly represents a butterfly ray: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/McDonald%27s_Ray

SerAndrew

I see butterfly rays quite often when diving and they are pretty cool.

Here a video of some recent sightening of one in the process of burying itself (you have to swip right, there are other stories first):

Sable Antelope

Nice mountain lion, although I think the old is decent too. I have a smaller collection so I don't mind having more than one figure of a species

sbell

Quote from: Isidro on June 03, 2023, 06:59:18 AMButterfly rays are some of my favourite rays since ever, and in 2017 I saw my first and, at the moment, only alive one. I always wanted to make a figure of it for my collection, but I stopped making figures many months ago for lack of time and space. That McDonald's ray (just marketed as "Ray" so will be difficult to track) clearly represents a butterfly ray: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/McDonald%27s_Ray

That figure is a low key grail for me. Although if neither Safari nor CollectA come through, I'm guessing 3d printing will help

JimoAi

would love to see indie artists make figures via 3d printing especially for smaller species. would be costly but better than nothing