News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: JimoAi on May 22, 2023, 02:42:37 PMidc if it's a repack but the crocodile aged like fine wine. Any idea of species though?

It is a repack, from the Land Down Under TOOB. It would have to be a saltwater crocodile. All the Australian animals are repeats from that TOOB.

Here's my review for it.
https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/australian-continent-toob-safari-ltd/

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on May 22, 2023, 02:42:37 PMidc if it's a repack but the crocodile aged like fine wine. Any idea of species though?

The TOOB is a hybrid of the Land Down Under TOOB, with four new sculpts to represent New Zealand animals.

Croc, Wombat, Frilled Lizard, Platypus and Kangaroo are from the LDU TOOB, Kakapo, Weta, Kiwi and Tuatara are new.

Saarlooswolfhound

NSD Bashe

Two tuatara from Safari so far; that's probably two more than most people expected   ;D

bmathison1972

Neat TOOB; if anyone sells them individually, I'd like the weta, but that's the only thing from the TOOB that satisfies my current collecting habits

EDIT: The kakapo might be an OK size for me, too! I'll have to see how big it is in relation to the SSS figure (https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Science_and_Nature_75343_Kakapo). The Safari has a simpler paint, but might have the better sculpt.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 22, 2023, 08:07:49 PMEDIT: The kakapo might be an OK size for me, too! I'll have to see how big it is in relation to the SSS figure (https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Science_and_Nature_75343_Kakapo). The Safari has a simpler paint, but might have the better sculpt.

The Kakapo is 2.25 inches long and 1.5 inches tall, if that helps at all.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on May 22, 2023, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 22, 2023, 08:07:49 PMEDIT: The kakapo might be an OK size for me, too! I'll have to see how big it is in relation to the SSS figure (https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Science_and_Nature_75343_Kakapo). The Safari has a simpler paint, but might have the better sculpt.

The Kakapo is 2.25 inches long and 1.5 inches tall, if that helps at all.

yes, I'll measure the SSS version when I get home. I think they are similar enough where Safari would win out, but we shall see.

bmathison1972

I just pulled the SSS kakapo off the shelf (it's 3 inches, so slightly larger than Safari)

I think I'll stick with SSS since it has a nice sculpt and more detailed color. I think the beak on the Safari figure is better positioned; on the SSS figure it's not as downcurved. However, one could assume it's reaching for food, etc.

bmathison1972

Isidro

Wooooahhhh!!!! A kakapo! I discarded Science & Nature one because of size, so I was happy to know this is a smaller one. Sadly, I checked and 2,25 inches long is equal to 5,7 cm and that's still too big when put aside my homemade blue-throated macaw. A 4,5 or lenght kakapo would have been ideal, even a 5 cm one would have been in the limits of acceptable. Anyway, toob figures from Safari are impossible to get alone.

I'm curious that a TOOB called "Australian continent" includes four New Zealanders. They should call the TOOB "Oceania continent" so they could include also some New Guinean or New Caledonian or even Polynesian/Fijian/Samoan species. New Zealand is not Australia.

SerAndrew

JimoAi

our of curiosity how long will the streak of new reveals be?

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on May 23, 2023, 03:13:37 PMour of curiosity how long will the streak of new reveals be?

I think this is the last one this week, but they should resume next week.

Gwangi

I reviewed the European TOOB as well. I absolutely love this TOOB. So many great and unique figures.

https://animaltoyforum.com/blog/european-toob-safari-ltd/

JimoAi

wonder if the European eel works as a conger

Saarlooswolfhound

Excellent! Several that I am excited for in this toob.

bmathison1972

I am sold! I will get the whole TOOB, just for the eel, catfish, and sparrowhawk! I TOOB is worth an investment if I can get three new species out of it! Heck, I might even swap out my Schleich European badger for this one (but I'll make that decision when I get them in-hand).

I am always please with TOOB choices, and I am never one to say 'they should have included this' or 'including that was boring'. However, and I am not just saying this because of my entomological roots, I am surprised they didn't include a large, iconic European insect. I think the European stag beetle makes a lot of sense. It's one of Europe's largest and most iconic insects, and it receives a lot attention due to its population decline in recent decades. Oh well, no biggie (not that I even need another version of that species anyway lol)

BlueKrono

@bmathison1972 I'm interested in just the stork if you'd be willing to part with it.
I like turtles.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 23, 2023, 05:24:16 PMI am sold! I will get the whole TOOB, just for the eel, catfish, and sparrowhawk! I TOOB is worth an investment if I can get three new species out of it! Heck, I might even swap out my Schleich European badger for this one (but I'll make that decision when I get them in-hand).

I am always please with TOOB choices, and I am never one to say 'they should have included this' or 'including that was boring'. However, and I am not just saying this because of my entomological roots, I am surprised they didn't include a large, iconic European insect. I think the European stag beetle makes a lot of sense. It's one of Europe's largest and most iconic insects, and it receives a lot attention due to its population decline in recent decades. Oh well, no biggie (not that I even need another version of that species anyway lol)

I would have liked to have seen some reptiles or amphibians in the TOOB. Fire salamander and European pond turtle are two that spring to mind. But as is I feel like this TOOB has an excellent selection and it's my favorite TOOB since the Great Lakes one. No disappointing figures in it except perhaps the red deer but it's an animal that definitely should be included.