Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dollar Store animal figures

Started by andrewsaurus, December 03, 2022, 12:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus

over the years I've acquired a few quite decent figures at local dollar stores.  The figures always need a new paint job but the sculpts are often pretty decent.  It's been especially useful for me since I collect all my figures to 1/18 scale, so my selection from mainstream manufacturers is more limited than it is for those who don't collect to a specific scale.  Dollar store figures have given me another decent source of figures. 

Today I picked up a pretty good giraffe figure for $4.  It's nearly 10 inches tall...about the same size as the large Safari figure and I consider the sculpt to be better.  The paint job is lousy but I can hopefully fix that.  I can use it as a female giraffe for my collection.  Anyone else source figures from dollar stores?

NSD Bashe

I picked up a lot of animals at the dollar store in my day; dinosaurs, mammals, large bugs even deep sea fish...  I miss just walking into dollar stores and never knowing what new animals I'd get that day.  Getting all excited when I found a warthog or a tapir or a giant purple stag beetle, or even an anglerfish.  Good old wholesome memories for a dollar

bmathison1972

Me too!! When I specialized on insects and other arthropods, I did a ton of Dollar Store shopping! And I agree with NSDBashe's comment about not knowing what you'd find, and being exciting for a big score!
Most insects at dollar stores are fairly generic and I have since purged most of them from my collection, now that my collection favors better quality models identifiable to at least the genus level. But, I've lots of fun dollar store adventures in the past!