News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, November 09, 2022, 02:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Gwangi

It's fun to look at the reaction to Papo toys on here vs. the DTF. Over there Papo is treated as a defunct pariah but looking at their ENTIRE lineup, and not just the prehistorics, Papo is still a top dog. A lot of figures here that I'm excited about. The Andean condor, hawkmoth, common lizard, cow and bull, muscovy duck, and eagle ray are all very high on my want list.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on January 11, 2023, 10:59:13 PMIt's fun to look at the reaction to Papo toys on here vs. the DTF. Over there Papo is treated as a defunct pariah but looking at their ENTIRE lineup, and not just the prehistorics, Papo is still a top dog. A lot of figures here that I'm excited about. The Andean condor, hawkmoth, common lizard, cow and bull, muscovy duck, and eagle ray are all very high on my want list.
Even out of the 4 prehistorics only 2 are objectively bad

Isidro

QuoteEven out of the 4 prehistorics only 2 are objectively bad

Why?!?  ???  ???  ???

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Isidro on January 12, 2023, 10:13:00 PM

Why?!?  ???  ???  ???
Conca & Einio

SerAndrew

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 13, 2023, 05:23:07 PM

Why?!?  ???  ???  ???
Conca & Einio

That's a "which" not a "why"

Gwangi

Why?!?  ???  ???  ???
Conca & Einio

I don't think the Einiosaurus is that bad. It's not as good as Safari's but it's acceptable. If I didn't have Safari's and the PNSO mini I would probably get it. Now the Conca, yeah...that one is bad.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2023, 11:53:16 PM

Why?!?  ???  ???  ???
Conca & Einio

I don't think the Einiosaurus is that bad. It's not as good as Safari's but it's acceptable. If I didn't have Safari's and the PNSO mini I would probably get it. Now the Conca, yeah...that one is bad.

I also agree the Einosaurus isn't that bad. I actually like it (which says a lot as I generally don't like Papo's dinosaurs), but with a Watson-sculpted Safari figure in-hand, no way I'll replace it :)

Isidro

And I don't see also a reason for think that the Concavenator is bad at all. Could you do a so detailed skin texture if you try a homemade one? Maybe is just that you don't like the elongated scales/feathers on head and tail, but how do you know if the species had these ornaments or not?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Isidro on January 14, 2023, 06:30:55 AMAnd I don't see also a reason for think that the Concavenator is bad at all. Could you do a so detailed skin texture if you try a homemade one? Maybe is just that you don't like the elongated scales/feathers on head and tail, but how do you know if the species had these ornaments or not?
It doesnt even matter if the colours and integument are like... somehow 100% accurate in some sort of 0.0000000001% chance universal anomaly

The proportions, looks, pose, and musculature are all wrong

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Isidro on January 14, 2023, 06:30:55 AMCould you do a so detailed skin texture if you try a homemade one?
"If you can't direct, write, produce and market a movie all by yourself you cannot critque a movie" energy

EpicRaptorMan

This is one of the reasons why I do not collect paleontological figures. One is because of the ever ending discoveries and hypotheses occurring every couple years (see Spinosaurus aegyptiacus) and two is frankly some of the use of artistic license. I'm all for revolutionary discoveries but seeing farfetched paleoart or sculpts will most likely age worse than a more conservative approach.

I'd much rather purchase a Triceratops horridus figure that was brownish green with an orange tinted grill than a rainbow colored one covered in plumage and has a giant piece of steak in its beak. Lol

JimoAi

Ok Papo has the dimensions of the spotted eagle ray on their site: 10.5cm L, 11cm W, 2.8cm h.

Also looking closer, I've noticed it has 2 venomous barbs and the figure has sculpted claspers, making it a male

bmathison1972

@HappyHen just got in a bunch of Papo 2023, including the flying squirrel, giant squid, Vietnamese potbelly pig, Andean condor, common seahorse, and Blond d'Aquatain cow, as well as some re-releases:

https://www.happyhentoys.com/papo-new-2023-items.html

EpicRaptorMan

I know I literally just saw. Too bad the Pigeon or Muscovy duck weren't included otherwise I would've placed an order.

HappyHen

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on March 19, 2023, 12:10:55 AMI know I literally just saw. Too bad the Pigeon or Muscovy duck weren't included otherwise I would've placed an order.
EricRaptorMan

The Pigeon is scheduled for Q2 the Muscovy Duck is scheduled for Q3

Other Q2 Animals
Tapir
Panda w/ Bamboo
Mufflon
European Rose Chafer
Bumblebee
Longhorn Bull
Spotted Eagle Ray
Young Octopus
Nautilus

Other Q3 Animals
Kiwi
Common Spider
Moth
Common Lizard
Salers Bull
Saler Calf

The only Q1 Animal we are still waiting for is the Racoon
I have emailed Papo USA to see what the hold up is on the racoon and will update when I hear back.

Hope this helps

bmathison1972

Thank you @HappyHen - I got my condor and cow from a German eBay dealer since they usually get theirs first. But you got your Q1 fast so for Q2 and Q3 I will be patient and wait for you to get them LOL  ;D

JimoAi

I've just pre-ordered the spotted eagle ray! paid way more for it but i couldn't contain myself  :P

EpicRaptorMan

@HappyHen thanks for the clarification. I've ordered from you guys many times before, but I think I'll wait until Q2 and Q3 to get them all in one order shipment.

HappyHen

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on March 21, 2023, 08:47:56 PM@HappyHen thanks for the clarification. I've ordered from you guys many times before, but I think I'll wait until Q2 and Q3 to get them all in one order shipment.
ERM,

Just to close the loop, the Raccoon will arrive to Papo USA the first week of April 2023, allow a couple
of weeks for them to unload the shipment and get it to us.  Likely the end of April for the raccoon to
be available on our website.

No worries on waiting, we will be here when you are ready.