News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Amphibinas

Started by Beetle guy, January 09, 2022, 07:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

I havent been much on the forum last years. But working on these at the moment. An amphibian collection of European species. My late father in law, Ben Francissen, was taxidermist at an University. He mounted frogs and salamander amogst many other animals. Because amphibians are hard to mount he made plaster casts of the mounted frogs, toads and salamanders.

I have cleaned up the plaster casts and made new molds. casting in polyurethane means I could loose the big bulky bases that the plaster casts had. The unpainted cast models in the pictures have to be worked to loose the exces of resin. Or in the case of the fire Salamander get an extra finger on one hind foot.

First Salamander painted.
271206036_3749524945273025_5158669294001861410_n.jpg  271235003_3749524978606355_3802714538267681535_n.jpg

Here are the first results. I am going to paint them with the aim for hyper realistic. All scale 1;1 naturally  ;)
Clockwise:Triturus cristatus (female) Hyla arborea, Rana dalmatina, Pelophylax kl. esculentus, Pelobates fuscus, Epidalea calamita,  Pelophylax ridibundus, Salamandra salamandra terrestris, Bufu bufo, Rana arvalis. Middle Alytes obstetricans. Missing in the collection picture: Two other fire salamanders and Rana temporaria.

whole collection.jpg
Alytes obstetricans.jpg
Salamandra salamandra terrestris.jpg
Epidaleacalamita.jpg
  Pelophylax kl. esculentus.jpg
To beetle or not to beetle.

stargatedalek

Those frogs in particular have such incredible detail! If only production models still used casts like this, such amazing work here.

Gwangi

I'm blown away, those are absolutely fantastic.

Beetle guy

Quote from: Gwangi on January 09, 2022, 10:11:50 PM

Thank you @Gwangi and @stargatedalek ! I will post some photo's of the figurines when they are painted.

BlueKrono

These look great. I've often thought about getting into 1:1 scale taxidermy models, but that's a dangerous hole to fall down. 💸
I like turtles.

Gwangi

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 09, 2022, 10:18:05 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 09, 2022, 10:11:50 PM

Thank you @Gwangi and @stargatedalek ! I will post some photo's of the figurines when they are painted.

Looking forward to it!  ^-^

bmathison1972

Keep up the great work and people here are going to commission you to make some  8) ;)

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 10, 2022, 02:46:25 PM
Keep up the great work and people here are going to commission you to make some  8) ;)
Thank you Blaine!

Beetle guy

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 10, 2022, 01:00:13 AM
These look great. I've often thought about getting into 1:1 scale taxidermy models, but that's a dangerous hole to fall down. 💸

hahaha! That is the truth ;-)