Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - new for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, January 06, 2022, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Staring off 2022's release from Takara with this Jaws-themed set

@Gwangi @JimoAi - this is calling out to you guys  8)

JimoAi

bmathison1972

Takara plants

The stinky flower comes with a fly that it attracts. That's not enougo for me to justify buying it, but anyone have an idea of the animal associated with the pitcher plant? A tadpole? I can't tell from the pic.

BlueKrono

It looks like a small rodent of some kind. Almost hamster-like.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 06, 2022, 04:07:34 PM

I had a friend translate and you are right; it's a generic mouse 'prey'

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 06, 2022, 04:34:32 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on January 06, 2022, 04:07:34 PM

I had a friend translate and you are right; it's a generic mouse 'prey'

Given that tree shrews are well known for associating with Nepenthes pitcher plants...it's too bad they left it as generic. A tree shrew would have been worth the whole figure.

It's possible to see the set more up close here: https://toypara.com/catalog.cgi?products/gasya/tta_animal/kyodaibana.html

Gwangi

Cool Jaws toys, and I do like the movie. All time favorite, actually.

EpicRaptorMan

Jaws is going on it's 50th anniversary in the coming years.

NSD Bashe

The pitcher plant figure is about 4 and a half inches long if you include the stem (probably longer if you measure along the bend) and the Rafflesia flower is about 3 and a half inches from petal to petal.  The mouse does not seem to hang from the rim of the plant very well, but they can be made to fit inside it and look as though they're jumping out.  While the corpse flowers themselves only smelled like plastic, for some reason they came with little papers that were strongly scented like almond paste or marzipan.  The leaves are pretty floppy.
Oh and the mouse is just over one inch long

bmathison1972

Some marine anatomy/skeletal models:

NSD Bashe

Okay those are pretty cool... and it looks like they come with their own stamps?

bmathison1972

A couple new sets by Takara:

First, the next in the Encyclopedia of Dangerous Creatures line, with a pair of macaques, emperor scorpion, and (vampire?) bat. I need a vampire bat, but might hold out for one of the solid-piece figures

Next, some gimmicky frogs (some nice species, though):

bmathison1972

Volume 4 of Takara's 'Frends of the Waterside' series.

I may get the fiddler crab if it's a different species from earlier editions:

EDIT: I think the fiddler crab is another color morph of Tubuca arcuata. At first the color was suggestive of T. signata, but the species in these sets are usually specific to Japan, and T. signata is Australian.

bmathison1972

Due August 2022, Primary Colour 1:1 Dragonflies:

01. Anotogaster sieboldii
02. Anax parthenope
03. Orthetrum albistylum speciosum
04. Rhyothemis fuliginosa
05. Sympetrum frequens

bmathison1972

Set of insects. Set says 'Insect Wars' - @Beetle guy - is this a variation on the B.I.G. Insects series?

Looks like a new sculpt of Prosopocoilus giraffa? And @sphyrna18 - looks like the migratory phase of the locust! Spider looks like a different paint too (different species? Brachypelma boehmei?)

sphyrna18

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 25, 2022, 05:46:16 PMSet of insects. Set says 'Insect Wars' - @Beetle guy - is this a variation on the B.I.G. Insects series?

Looks like a new sculpt of Prosopocoilus giraffa? And @sphyrna18 - looks like the migratory phase of the locust! Spider looks like a different paint too (different species? Brachypelma boehmei?)

I just saw that - and requested 2 of them from Brett haha!  I can't wait to get them in my hands (even though they are larger than 1:1, they are fairly close)

bmathison1972

B.I.G. Beetles 2022. Nothing of interest for me at this point

Beetle guy

Quote from: sphyrna18 on May 25, 2022, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 25, 2022, 05:46:16 PMSet of insects. Set says 'Insect Wars' - @Beetle guy - is this a variation on the B.I.G. Insects series?

No, just a marketing idea I suppose, they must have though war sells. Stuppid tittle all together ;-). No variation, just the new series.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Next edition of the Encyclopedia of Dangerous Creatures collection. These look like repaints or re-releases of others in the series: