News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Slithering Serpents: Snakes

Started by Varanus, January 20, 2013, 01:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varanus

This is a review of the AAA "snake", which is more specifically a Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus), despite its smooth appearance.  It is 1:1 scale (cast from an actual specimen) and is 113 cm in length.  There appears to be a another version out there as well, with a slightly raised head.  There may also be a mini version with an open mouth.

brontodocus

Very nice :)! I had previously ignored many snake figures, mostly because they are often unrecognisable, so it's always good to see AAA made at least some identifiable casts. This one is definitely worth getting! :)

AnimalToyForum

Nice figure, good job identifying it! You still need to invest in a new ruler though, Varanus  ;D :P

Jetoar

Cool figure friend, I like it  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Varanus

brontodocus

Walk-around of the CollectA Wild Life 88688 Green Anaconda, Eunectes murinus (Linnaeus, 1758). It's strange that despite being such a popular and iconic snake it hardly ever made it into figure form (PV is the only exception I know so far). Much that's written about how long Green Anacondas can get is an exaggeration but it is the largest extant snake by body mass for sure. Giving measurements for this figure required some time and is definitely not free of error, total length is approx. 498 mm (give or take a centimeter), so the scale may be anywhere between 1:5 and 1:10 for a mature individual (there were surprisingly few individuals measured at more than 5 m length) and possibly up to 1:17 for an exceptionally large and old female. The human figure (European Father from Miniland "Los AMigos del Mundo" is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale (so that would already be a gigantic anaconda 6.5 to 7 m long) and the Safari Ltd NAW Peccary (sorry, but where have I put my Safari Ltd Capybara? ::) Anyway, anacondas also prey on peccarys, occasionally) similarly is about 1:12 - 1:14 scale. Despite being such an iconic and huge snake, much research has still to be done and the Green Anaconda hasn't been evaluated by IUCN, yet. By the way, I think the figure could be a little thicker at midlength.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Really beatiful figure  ^-^, Collecta have done a good work again  ^-^.

Yutyrannus

Am I the only one that thinks the head is WAY too big? Anyway, when it comes to snake figures from this year, I'm going to wait for Papo's king cobra.
"We predators have long ruled the wild Earth while abiding the rules of nature. Under our rule, landscapes remain fertile. Under YOUR rule, nothing lasts long."
-Mauricio Anton

sbell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 08, 2014, 12:06:23 AM
Am I the only one that thinks the head is WAY too big? Anyway, when it comes to snake figures from this year, I'm going to wait for Papo's king cobra.

They eat caimans so I'm guessing that their is quite a bit of stretch to their heads.

stargatedalek

there is, and the pose of the body also makes the head appear larger
a lovely piece to say the least, I'll have to keep an eye open for it ;)

widukind

A very interesting snake figurine  :) Congratulations

brontodocus

Thanks, altogether! :) Considering the head - I've measured 22 mm head length (dorsally). Compared to nearly 0.5 m total length it doesn't appear that much. What makes the head appear so large is possibly the fact that the body is so slender. If it were twice as fat the head would look a lot smaller in proportion. Since the body is coiled up so much, measuring along the curve surprisingly revealed a longer total length than I had expected.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brontodocus on July 09, 2014, 09:07:02 AM
Thanks, altogether! :) Considering the head - I've measured 22 mm head length (dorsally). Compared to nearly 0.5 m total length it doesn't appear that much. What makes the head appear so large is possibly the fact that the body is so slender. If it were twice as fat the head would look a lot smaller in proportion. Since the body is coiled up so much, measuring along the curve surprisingly revealed a longer total length than I had expected.
Yes, but remember that anacondas have surprisingly small heads. Like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivian_anaconda#mediaviewer/File:Eunectes_beniensis,_Rio_Beni,_Puerto_Salinas,_El_Beni,_Bolovia.jpg
"We predators have long ruled the wild Earth while abiding the rules of nature. Under our rule, landscapes remain fertile. Under YOUR rule, nothing lasts long."
-Mauricio Anton

stargatedalek

that one has probably fed more recently ;)

Yutyrannus

Well, then here is a picture of just the head showing that this sculpt is incorrect:
http://usspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Anaconda-Boliviana1.jpg
-Mauricio Anton

stargatedalek

When the jaws are expanded it looks very different
I would get a pic but I'm on mobile, sorry

Yutyrannus

When the jaws are expanded the head doesn't get any longer. The head on the model is at least twice as long as it should be.
-Mauricio Anton

AcroSauroTaurus

I was really surprised there hasn't been a snake thread yet... so let me start one!
My snakes (as you can tell, I like Cobras... ::) )

Figures:
Chap Mei cobras (reddish-brown and blue, both retired)
Safari Venomous Creatures Toob Indian Cobra, Yellow-bellied Sea Snake
Safari Cobra
China "Zebra" Cobra
China Bendable Cobra
Schleich Boa Constrictor (retired)
China Banded Sea Krait

Another China Cobra (one of those coiled china snakes)

And two more of them, a Emerald Tree Boa and a generic Viper.

And a China Gaboon Viper.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

I really would like that Collecta realise a King Cobra with a bettern pattern of colors  ^-^.

brontodocus

Green Anaconda by CollectA photos are working again. :)