News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Bird Collection

Started by Birdsage, December 28, 2020, 12:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advicot

Very nice array of figures, however I dislike the AUS Yowies little penguin. The snow petrel is very interesting, thank you for showing.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Birdsage

I myself also think that that penguin looks a little silly.

Birdsage

Luckily, I have emailed Safari Ltd with ideas for bird-centered TOOBs.
One of them happens to be a New Zealand Birds set featuring a Kea, Kakapo, Kiwi, Takahe, Weka, Tui, and most importantly, a Little Penguin.
I also sent them ideas for Asian, African, European, and Australian birds, owls, eagles, vultures, lake and river birds, gamebirds, seabirds, and other sets. They said that they would consider my ideas and they may be made into official products.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Birdsage on January 17, 2021, 03:26:02 PM
Luckily, I have emailed Safari Ltd with ideas for bird-centered TOOBs.
One of them happens to be a New Zealand Birds set featuring a Kea, Kakapo, Kiwi, Takahe, Weka, Tui, and most importantly, a Little Penguin.
I also sent them ideas for Asian, African, European, and Australian birds, owls, eagles, vultures, lake and river birds, gamebirds, seabirds, and other sets. They said that they would consider my ideas and they may be made into official products.

Safari is being polite. They will never make a New Zealand birds TOOB; that is too obscure for Safari. Also a TOOB that is geographically restricted AND only birds is unlikely.

However, I can see them making broad taxonomic TOOBS (owls; birds of prey; water birds) that cover multiple geographic areas.

Birdsage

I did email them about Owls, Eagles, and Vultures of the World sets, and also North American bird sets (Western Backyard birds, warblers, sparrows, shorebirds, gamebirds, and waterbirds), which are more realistic than foreign location-specific sets (Africa, Asia, Madagascar, Australia, New Zealand) in my opinion. Of course, a hypothetical African Birds TOOB would at least feature the most well known ones (ostrich, marabou, shoebill, crowned crane) and everything else (quelea, Kori Bustard, roller, turaco, etc.) is unlikely, meaning that making a full set with just birds is unlikely in itself. Same with Asia (Red-crowned Crane, Mandarin Duck, peacock vs Himalayan Monal, Demoiselle Crane, Bar-headed Goose, etc.) and Australia (Emu, Cassowary, Cockatoo, Kookaburra vs ibis, Tawny Frogmouth, lyrebird, Pied Cormorant, etc.) European Garden Birds seems more likely to me than the others (goldfinch, chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, robin, etc.). A Madagascar Birds set would never fly (way too obscure: Cuckoo Roller, mesites, fody, vangas, couas, etc.). So what you're saying is that Cranes of the World would be a better idea than different cranes in African and Asian bird sets, and same with parrots, ducks, etc.

Advicot

Any European passerines are welcome in the trade, and thankfully we are getting a European robin from Papo this year  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Birdsage

Sorry for the long absence. I was buying, selling, and trading at eBay and STS-Forum.
But here are the Gruiformes figures I have currently.
  9E1E8F3F-AECE-4735-A9AF-974EAF75F93C.png 

Rallidae: rails, coots, crakes, and gallinules

1: South Island Takahe (Porphyrio hochstetteri) Yowie Australia Series 2 (The figure's information booklet has the scientific name Notornis hochstetteri, which is no longer accepted by any major organizations.)
2. Australasian Swamphen (Porphyrio melanotus) Yowie Australia Series 3 (The figure is named Purple Swamphen and its information booklet says that its scientific name is Porphyrio porphyrio. The taxonomy of the Purple Swamphen group is a controversial point between the ABA/AOS/NACC and the Cornell/Clements/Audubon checklists. The former says that a variety of this group of rails found as a feral bird in North America is a subspecies (Porphyrio porphyrio poliocephalus) of the Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) This would mean that the old system used in the scientific name for the Yowie figure would be considered correct by the AOS if it also governed non-North American species. The Clements checklist (which does govern the taxonomy of all birds in the world) on the other hand, says that the name Porphyrio porphyrio only applies to the Western Swamphen of the Mediterranean, and says that all other populations of swamphen are separate species from it. According to this checklist, the Australasian Swamphen is its own species, Porphyrio melanotus. Since the latter checklist is in global use, and since it is the checklist used on eBird and such global tools, I have opted to use the newer name.)
3 Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) Yowie Australia Series 3

bmathison1972

very nice Gruiformes! These particular 3 Yowies look pretty good; not soo stylized as many other Yowies!

Birdsage

If you like the figure of the coot, I can sell or trade a duplicate to you.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Birdsage on March 23, 2021, 12:35:01 PM

If you want to trade I probably have some things you'd like. I have several Wing Mau, Club Earth, and Play Visions, I also have extras of four of the M&B waterfowl collection.

Birdsage

Isidro

Not bad figurines of these distinctive rallid species. Probably the worst issue are the legs, especially in the Fulica atra. Porphyrio mantelli is a species that is in my list to "to do", I hope to get better result than the Yowies P. mantelli. The figure of Porphyrio porphyrio is probably the best of the three.

Birdsage

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 23, 2021, 12:47:02 PM

If you want to trade I probably have some things you'd like. I have several Wing Mau, Club Earth, and Play Visions, I also have extras of four of the M&B waterfowl collection.

So, can we trade?
Did you happen to have any extra Replica Toy Fish figures or something? I know that you bought some through eBay when a few were still sold by Simeon Chambers.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Birdsage on March 23, 2021, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 23, 2021, 12:47:02 PM

So, can we trade?
Did you happen to have any extra Replica Toy Fish figures or something? I know that you bought some through eBay when a few were still sold by Simeon Chambers.

I'll have to get back to you. I am still at work. I am pretty sure I can give you the M&B red-throated loon and Kaiyodo tufted duck for the Yowie coot.

Birdsage

Birdsage

I'm back, once more!
This time I am showing you Galliformes and some birds from previous groups acquired after the fact.

3C7209ED-52A7-4152-B897-0DBE17F3BD48.jpg

Galliformes (landfowl, upland game birds):

Phasianidae (pheasants, chickens, Old-World quails, grouses, turkeys, and peafowl):
Attwater's Prairie Chicken
(Tympanuchus cupido attwateri) Yowie (Subspecies of the greater prairie chicken)

Green Pheasant (Phasianus versicolor or Phasianus colchicus versicolor) Eikoh Miniatureplanet (This may either be considered as a subspecies of or a separate species from the ring-necked/common pheasant)

Numididae (guineafowls):
Helmeted Guineafowl (Numida meleagris) Lineol

Cracidae (Neotropical landfowl, e.g. chachalacas, currasows):
Horned Guan (Oreophasis derbianus) Yowie US

Megapodidae (megapodes):
Australian Brushturkey (Alectura lathami) Yowie Australia

Other birds:
Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) Club Earth

Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri) Unbranded

Kagu (Rhynochaetos jubatus) Unbranded, vintage

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) Kaiyodo ChocoQ

Blue-winged Goose (Cyanochen cyanoptera) Yowie US

Isidro

I'm very sure that "kagu" intend to represent an egret...

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on May 23, 2021, 07:19:22 PM
I'm very sure that "kagu" intend to represent an egret...

indeed

Birdsage

I actually knew that. I refrained from mentioning it in the post, as the legs are too short.