News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal figures based on characters in mainstream media

Started by JimoAi, December 13, 2020, 07:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

What species of crocodile do you think that fits better with the pet crocodile of the rock star Jagged Stone in Miraculous/Ladybug?

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on December 18, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
What species of crocodile do you think that fits better with the pet crocodile of the rock star Jagged Stone in Miraculous/Ladybug?
.probably a generic crocodile

JimoAi

callmejoe3

JimoAi

Bruce from Finding Nemo is a Great white shark whom has sworn off from eating fish so what does he eat? My guess are sick or dying cephalopods, turtles and marine mammals. The 2013 schleich great white shark fits him well as it represents a male and most great white figures are females IMG_20201219_114451.jpg

Isidro

The killer whale above is a no-name very secondary character, but it's a gym pal of a more main character, Larry the Lobster, the prototype of "muscle guy", but that is not a rude man, as have also a soft and kind heart.

Larry the Lobster is red, and Spongebob is an USA series. So it's safe to assume that Larry is an American or Maine lobster (Homarus americanus) rather than the bluish European one (H. gammarus). In incoming new year, CollectA releases a magnific example of American lobster, absolutely realistic:

The three bears from We Bare Bears are simply nickamed as their respective species instead having a proper name: they're Panda, Polar and Brown. Panda is the most candid of the three.

These bears live human styles, includig modern electronic devices, go shopping, eat pizza, talk with humans, etc. So logically they also always walk in bipedal posture. So we can choose better a sitting panda that one standing in four legs. Here the Schleich panda:

Talking about pandas, there are not only giant pandas in mainstream media, but red pandas too. The very famous one is the second main character of Kung Fu Panda, the Master Shifu:

There are several figurines of this species available, and it's difficult to choose one. None is more specially shifu-like than others. Here just an example from Safari LTD:

Talking about Kung Fu Panda, my absolute favourite character from this movie is Master Oogway, the most venerated Kung Fu master ever.

Is not simple to assing a turtle species to Oogway. All other animals of this movie and sequels are Chinese or near-Chinese (at least all mainland Asian), but Oogway doesn't like at all an Asian giant turtle (Manouria emys). Some episodes from series derivated from Kund Fu Panda shows non-Asian animals, such as one with gorillas. And in a fandom page says that Oogway come from Galapagos islands. The long neck agrees with the hypotesis of being a Galapagos tortoise, or maybe an Aldabra tortoise. Both can have the frontal plates of carapace raised, as Oogway have. Oogway always have his carapace covered by a cap, but in the rare images that we can find without the cap, the plates are exceedengly numerous for any turtle or tortoise in the world, and the claws are more likely from a pond turtle than from a tortoise.

The easy going option is to assume that he's a Galapagos tortoise. With the realistic expression and long neck, I will choose the CollectA Galapagos tortoise from Pinta Island subspecies (Lonesome George), famous for the last specimen dying not many years ago. The extinction of this subspecies can be also analogue with the "dying" of Oogway when he leaves this world in a cloud of petals.

More from Kung Fu Panda: the Five Furious have no proper names, they are just called as their species: Monkey, Viper, Tigress, Mantis and Crane. The later is a red-crowned crane (Grus japonensis) and probably the only one of this species in mainstream media. It's intentionally put here as "the crane" is also an important position of the Kung Fu art.

This Kaiyodo red-crowned crane is the one with most dynamic pose, and a dynamic pose is what we could expect from a Kung Fu warrior. So I will choose this one.

Another unique species from same movie is the supervillain: Tai Lung. This unstoppable character, with the strength of an hurricane, absolute determination and a heart as cold as ice, have the ability to escape from absolutely impossible situations.

There are various snow leopards in figurine world and probably the Papo one is the better sculpted, even if the paintjob of the real figure is far from perfect and very different to the much better one shown in the promo image below.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on December 19, 2020, 06:19:39 AM
The killer whale above is a no-name very secondary character, but it's a gym pal of a more main character, Larry the Lobster, the prototype of "muscle guy", but that is not a rude man, as have also a soft and kind heart.

The orca character technically isn't a no-name. In the anchor toss competition on the episode where Spongebob had anchor arms, the announcer stated his name to be ''Don the Whale''.

JimoAi

Larry the Lobster is red, and Spongebob is an USA series. So it's safe to assume that Larry is an American or Maine lobster (Homarus americanus) rather than the bluish European one (H. gammarus). In incoming new year, CollectA releases a magnific example of American lobster, absolutely realistic:

The three bears from We Bare Bears are simply nickamed as their respective species instead having a proper name: they're Panda, Polar and Brown. Panda is the most candid of the three.

These bears live human styles, includig modern electronic devices, go shopping, eat pizza, talk with humans, etc. So logically they also always walk in bipedal posture. So we can choose better a sitting panda that one standing in four legs. Here the Schleich panda:

Talking about pandas, there are not only giant pandas in mainstream media, but red pandas too. The very famous one is the second main character of Kung Fu Panda, the Master Shifu:

There are several figurines of this species available, and it's difficult to choose one. None is more specially shifu-like than others. Here just an example from Safari LTD:

Talking about Kung Fu Panda, my absolute favourite character from this movie is Master Oogway, the most venerated Kung Fu master ever.

Is not simple to assing a turtle species to Oogway. All other animals of this movie and sequels are Chinese or near-Chinese (at least all mainland Asian), but Oogway doesn't like at all an Asian giant turtle (Manouria emys). Some episodes from series derivated from Kund Fu Panda shows non-Asian animals, such as one with gorillas. And in a fandom page says that Oogway come from Galapagos islands. The long neck agrees with the hypotesis of being a Galapagos tortoise, or maybe an Aldabra tortoise. Both can have the frontal plates of carapace raised, as Oogway have. Oogway always have his carapace covered by a cap, but in the rare images that we can find without the cap, the plates are exceedengly numerous for any turtle or tortoise in the world, and the claws are more likely from a pond turtle than from a tortoise.

The easy going option is to assume that he's a Galapagos tortoise. With the realistic expression and long neck, I will choose the CollectA Galapagos tortoise from Pinta Island subspecies (Lonesome George), famous for the last specimen dying not many years ago. The extinction of this subspecies can be also analogue with the "dying" of Oogway when he leaves this world in a cloud of petals.

More from Kung Fu Panda: the Five Furious have no proper names, they are just called as their species: Monkey, Viper, Tigress, Mantis and Crane. The later is a red-crowned crane (Grus japonensis) and probably the only one of this species in mainstream media. It's intentionally put here as "the crane" is also an important position of the Kung Fu art.

This Kaiyodo red-crowned crane is the one with most dynamic pose, and a dynamic pose is what we could expect from a Kung Fu warrior. So I will choose this one.

Another unique species from same movie is the supervillain: Tai Lung. This unstoppable character, with the strength of an hurricane, absolute determination and a heart as cold as ice, have the ability to escape from absolutely impossible situations.

There are various snow leopards in figurine world and probably the Papo one is the better sculpted, even if the paintjob of the real figure is far from perfect and very different to the much better one shown in the promo image below.

He punched squidward in ink lemonade for inking on him

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 19, 2020, 07:09:01 AM

The orca character technically isn't a no-name. In the anchor toss competition on the episode where Spongebob had anchor arms, the announcer stated his name to be ''Don the Whale''.
Background characters are fine as long as they are identifiable and yes his name is Don

JimoAi

Isidro

Thanks for the info about the name of the gym orca. Yes extinct animals are included and I already put Manfred the mammooth, while you put a mosasaur.
So talking about extinct characters a good one would be Rudy from Ice Age 3, the personal enemy of Buck the weasel.

Rudy is an extremely oversized Baryonyx and the most similar Baryonyx to Rudy in figure form I think is this superb Papo model, with similar colour scheme and more fierce appareance:

Another cartoon character based in an extinct species is Gogo the Dodo (complete name Gogo Wackston) from the crazy Looney Tunes. He's the last dodo (even if he have a lot of descendents).

The dodos that first come to my mind when thinking in figurines are the Noah's Pals pair. These dodos are a secret figure that you receive for free if you're able to get the whole collection of Noah's Pals. Very ingenious, today's brands didn't make these kind of fun games sadly.

And not extinct, but welcome here too: Hayabusa, the falcon from the terrible Atila in Mulan (Disney). He helps his owner in many of his atrocities.

Safari LTD peregrine falcon:

Not every character has to be from a movie or series. For example, there are mascots from sports, symbols from companies, or for example this mascot from the Spanish food brand Puleva, a brand of milk and milky products for children. His name is Max and he represents and old nice symbol from Puleva for help take concienciation about the fragile situation of Iberian lynx (before serious advances in conservation started):

Mojo Fun iberian lynx, one of the only two figures of this species in the trade (northern lynxes are far more popular):

Another great movie that will give us some diversity of species characters is Rango, about that chamaleon that suddenly by an accident passes from the deluxe life of a pet to the hard life of Wild West. While Rango is the protagonist, there are many other important characters. One of them is Waffles, the horned lizard:

There are various horned lizards to choose, I wull go with this Safari LTD one:

JimoAi

IMG_20201228_194332.jpg
Gurgle is a neurotic Royal Gramma that lives in the fish tank in finding nemo, who is afraid of germs. The best and only option in figure form is the Yujin Royal gramma

Loon

I love Kung Fu Panda, but man, I really don't get Shifu's design. He doesn't look anything like a red panda, especially colorwise.

Since mascots are allowed, this is Swansea City Association Football Club's notoriously aggressive mascot Cyril the Swan (Seen here assaulting rival mascot Zampa the Lion, before he ran from the police and was fined £1000).

"Don't [mess] with the swan!" - Cyril

Cyril seems to be a very generic cartoon swan, so I'm guessing he's based on a Mute Swan. I'll use the Mojö figure for this one.

Advicot

Well swans are territorial birds and he certainly doesn't like the lion on his home patch  :D
Don't I take long uploading photos!

JimoAi

Been a while but I'm back.

Anchor is a hammerhead shark in Finding nemo who is part of the Fish are Friends, Not Food club, along with the Great white shark, Bruce and Mako shark, Chum. He is the only one if the 3 that show no interest in eating fish (Chum ate his fish friend while Bruce temporary became a blood thirsty predator after smelling Dory's blood). The best figure for him will be the 2020 Schleich hammerhead shark due to it having claspers and having the correct nostril placement, which many other companies omit or got it wrong. Other good hammerheads that has the right nostril placement but are not as good as candidates die to lacking claspers are the Papo 2011 and the Monterey Bay aquarium by safari ltd figures, though I'm unsure if the safari ltd has nostrils or not  IMG_20210304_020641.jpg