News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Odontoceti (Toothed whales)!

Started by brontodocus, January 15, 2013, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Maia & Borges Marine Animals (Short-beaked) Common Dolphin, Delphinus delphis Linnaeus, 1758. Total length is 122 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:20. Minimen Andreas Köpke is 1:20 scale. There are much less figures of Delphinus delphis compared to the Bottle-nosed Dolphin, Tursiops truncatus, so it's good to see Maia & Borges decided to make a model of this one. :)

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Cool common dolphin. I think that is very rare to see a figure of this animal. Invicta base are the best  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Yes, the Invicta base comes in very handy. It is nice to see a common dolphin for a change, the common has a much more interesting appearance than the bottle-nosed, in my opinion. I hadn't heard of Maia & Borges before, nor was I aware of their quite extensive range of sea life and...waterfowl, apparently. Lots of ducks!.

postsaurischian

That's a nice one! One of the Maia & Borges marine animals I immediately had to get :).
Their Bull Shark is also pretty good.
I wish their greater whales were bigger.

tyrantqueen

Nice figure :) I always thought it was weird that even though this is named as the common dolphin, the bottlenose is actually better known in pop culture ;)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Thanks, all! :)
Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 16, 2013, 12:03:22 PM
Yes, the Invicta base comes in very handy. It is nice to see a common dolphin for a change, the common has a much more interesting appearance than the bottle-nosed, in my opinion. I hadn't heard of Maia & Borges before, nor was I aware of their quite extensive range of sea life and...waterfowl, apparently. Lots of ducks!.
If only there were more of those Invicta stands available. I have only two... :-\ Maia & Borges was the company that made the large 1/32 Sea Animals for Schleich, like e.g. the recently discontinued big Humpback Whale, those were the figures that were stamped "Made in Portugal".
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 16, 2013, 03:08:55 PM
That's a nice one! One of the Maia & Borges marine animals I immediately had to get :).
You can't go wrong with the Common Dolphin! :) My favourite M&B next to the Right Whale (even though that one has an inaccurate shape of the tail peduncle but I can oly repeat that I think it's the best non-japanese balaenid figure). Yes, they should make bigger ones, maybe they are still testing the market? I hope they will release bigger figures in the future, from their cooperation with Schleich we know they can do it! :) I have the Blue Whale, too, and it's really tiny.
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 16, 2013, 11:39:24 PM
Nice figure :) I always thought it was weird that even though this is named as the common dolphin, the bottlenose is actually better known in pop culture ;)
Well, the Common Dolphin is apparently less popular than Bottle-nose Dolphins because the latter are frequently kept in captivity. But, depending on where you travel by ship, Common Dolphins may be a quite common sight. :)

Jetoar

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 16, 2013, 03:08:55 PM

I have seen the bull shark an he is very cool  8)

Ana

brontodocus

Varanus

This is a review of the large Play Vision Commerson's Dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii).  It is 14 cm long (about 1:15 - 1:10 scale), much larger than its smaller PV counterpart.  This particular individual was purchased at Sea World San Diego, one of the few aquariums that maintain this species.  This figure has some accuracy issues, as its coloration is slightly off, the dorsal fin is much too long, and the pectoral flippers should be more rounded.

Varanus

This is a review of the Pacific White-sided Dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obliquidens), from Safari's Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection.  It is 11 cm in length, about 1:20; it is also currently retired, but is still occasionally found on ebay.

Jetoar

Cool figure friend, thanks for sharing friend  ^-^.

brontodocus

It's an awesome figure! :) It was not easy for me to get mine, once it disappeared from online stores and I couldn't locate one on ebay for quite a long time... Until a friend from Spain helped me out who found some old stock in a store... it was the last figure I needed to complete the series, and actually the hardest to get. Phew! :-\ ;D

brontodocus

Many thanks for posting, Varanus! :) Despite the inaccuracies, it's very nice, interesting figure, and I've never seen it before. I only have the small PV version, but that's my only Commerson's Dolphin. A few years back the Zoo Duisburg, Germany had them (they kept them together with Beluga Whales), really tiny (but very sympathic and agile) whales! :)

Varanus

Quote from: brontodocus on January 20, 2013, 11:43:24 PM
Many thanks for posting, Varanus! :) Despite the inaccuracies, it's very nice, interesting figure, and I've never seen it before. I only have the small PV version, but that's my only Commerson's Dolphin. A few years back the Zoo Duisburg, Germany had them (they kept them together with Beluga Whales), really tiny (but very sympathic and agile) whales! :)

Your welcome! ^-^  How interesting that they kept them with Belugas, though I suppose they'd get along just fine, even though they're from opposite poles. :o  There are at least three others in this line of larger PV figures: a Bottlenose Dolphin, an Orca, and a Beluga.

Jetoar

Cool figure of this small cetacean. I like this dolphiin because is a pocket dolphin  ^-^.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 20, 2013, 11:38:53 PM
It's an awesome figure! :) It was not easy for me to get mine, once it disappeared from online stores and I couldn't locate one on ebay for quite a long time... Until a friend from Spain helped me out who found some old stock in a store... it was the last figure I needed to complete the series, and actually the hardest to get. Phew! :-\ ;D

In Spain? You are a lucky man  ^-^. Safari products, over all MBA are very rare in my country  ^-^.

Ana

Wow, very nice dolphin and I see this figure first time  8) Congratulations! :D

brontodocus

Walk-around of the CollectA Sea Life Narwhal, Monodon monoceros Linnaeus, 1758. Total length including the 80 mm long tusk is 257 mm (measured to the median notch of the fluke) or 177 mm excluding it. The scale would be approx. 1:23 - 1:30. "Freddie the Free Diver" by Safari Ltd. is approx. 1:22.5 to 1:24 scale.
The last photo shows a side-by-side comparison of the similar sized Safari Ltd. MBA Narwhal with the CollectA figure.

brontodocus

For me this one was one of the most anticipated figures to be released this year. Here's the walk-around of the CollectA Sea Life Ganges River Dolphin, Platanista gangetica (Lebeck, 1801). Total length is 135 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:15 - 1:19.