Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Aeshna nigroflava Martin, 1908 (mosaic darner)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Insects of Japan Vol. 2
Year of Production: 2006
Size/Scale: Wingspan 11.0 cm. Body length 8.0 cm; within scale 1:1 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: I could not find published information on the size of this species, but since the Insects of Japan figures are cast from actual specimens (or at least their bodies are), it can be assumed this figure is 1:1 in scale. Some assembly is required and the figure comes with a tall acrylic base (not shown) to elevate it as if flying. Kaiyodo made a much smaller version of this species for their Birdtales line.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan
Habitat: Freshwater ponds and lakes
Diet: Nymphs feed on aquatic invertebrates, tadpoles, larval salamanders, small fish; adults feed on flying insects
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: I had a surprisingly challenging time researching information on this species; there is more literature on parasitoids that infect A. nigroflava or defense mechanisms by larval amphibians against the dragonfly, than there is on the dragonfly itself. From what I can tell, it appears to be a Japanese endemic.

bmathison1972

Species: Chrysis sp. (emerald cuckoo wasp)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Cadbury
Series: Yowies Series 1; UK Yowies Series 1
Year of Production: 1997
Size/Scale: Body length (of either figure) 4.0 cm for a scale of 6.7:1-3.3:1 (scale species-dependent)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare (unique as a pair)
Miscellaneous Notes: These figures were only marketed as an emerald cuckoo wasp (genus Chrysis), for which there are nearly 1,000 described species worldwide. They most certainly represents an Australian species, but that doesn't help narrow it down much. On earlier posts on the forums, I had this identified as C. coerulans; that ID was based on another collector's website. In hindsight, it cannot be that species, as it is endemic to North America. Given the stylized nature of Australian and UK Yowies, a species-level ID here is probably futile. The figure on the lower right is the original Australian version; it requires assembly. The figure on the upper left is the UK version; it is a solid piece of PVC and is permanently affixed to its leaf base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Worldwide
Habitat: Highly variable; dependent on host bee or wasp species (see below)
Diet: Larvae are kleptoparasites on the eggs, larvae, and provisions of bees and wasps; adults feed on pollen
Miscellaneous Notes: Chrysis spp. are considered kleptoparasites. Adults lay their eggs in the nest of a host bee or wasp. After the eggs hatch, the chrysidid larvae consume neighboring eggs and larvae of the host species and then feed on the food provisioned by the host.

bmathison1972

Species: Basiliscus plumifrons Cope, 1875 (double-crested basilisk; plumed basilisk)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Primary Colour Lizards Book
Year of Production: 2002
Size/Scale: Figure length 9.0 cm. Snout-to-vent length approximately 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:5
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This sculpt was originally used by Play Visions in 1996 for their Exotic Lizards collection. Most of the figures in Yujin's 2002 Primary Colour Lizards Book collection are adapted from earlier figures by Club Earth and Play Visions.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and South America, from southern Mexico to Colombia
Habitat: Rainforests, usually in riparian areas
Diet: General omnivore, including terrestrial invertebrates, fruits, seeds, flowers, leaves; on occasion, also small reptiles, amphibians, rodents, and birds
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Basiliscus plumifrons is known for its ability to run on water on its hind legs. It does this by using alternative fluid dynamics; the lizard creates an air-filled cavity with its hind leg and then retracts its leg before the cavity closes. This reduces contact with the water and also reduces the drag while allowing the lizard's body to be propelled across the water. This phenomenon of running on water has earned B. plumifrons another nickname, the Jesus Christ lizard.

bmathison1972

Species: Mactra chinensis Philippi, 1846 (sunray surf clam)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: AAA
Series: AAA Mollusks
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Width 6.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique to rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was a challenge to put a name on. Toy Animal Wiki currently has this identified as Chamelea gallina (striped Venus clam); however, assuming it was cast from an actual specimen (as many AAA mollusks are), it would be too big for C. gallina. The identification of M. chinensis is my own, based on a suggestion from forum member Isidro (Pardofelis), as it the the best example I can find that fits this size and shape and that would be common in Asian seafood markets or other sources of specimens available to be cast. AAA also made a larger clam, but I am unsure if it was intended to be the same species as this small one.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific
Habitat: Benthic; in sandy areas at 0-20 meters
Diet: Phytoplankton, bacteria, detritus
Miscellaneous Notes: Mactra chinensis is a very important commercial species, and is one of the most economically important clams in Korea.

Isidro

The shape and texture is wrong both for Chamelea gallina and for Tapes philippinarum. If it's a cast of a real specimen, maybe a Mactra sp. could be considered, but there are too many options unknown to me for be sure.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on May 19, 2022, 10:39:50 PMThe shape and texture is wrong both for Chamelea gallina and for Tapes philippinarum. If it's a cast of a real specimen, maybe a Mactra sp. could be considered, but there are too many options unknown to me for be sure.

@Isidro - I didn't like the texture but assumed it was an artifact from casting (it was most certainly cast from an actual specimen). That being said, I really like the thought of Mactra. I think I'll re-edit the post to reflect M. chinensis, since it still meets the critera of location and being a commercially-important species, and it's in the size range of this figure. Thanks.

bmathison1972

Species: Opisthoteuthis albatrossi (Sasaki, 1920) (flapjack octopus)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.
Series: Residents of the Abyss
Year of Production: 2015
Size/Scale: Figure height about 2.7 cm. Scale difficult to calculate but total body length approximately 3.8 cm for a scale of 1:4.3-1:5.7
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique to very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Figures in this collection come with a flat blue base with the animal's Latin and Japanese names, the depths at which it lives, and other notes in Japanese (see inset). It is hard to say if this figure is unique or not, as not all flapjack/dumbo octopus figures are marketed at the species level.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific (Japan to Sea of Okhotsk)
Habitat: Benthic, at depths of 457-3400 meters
Diet: Benthic marine invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Data Deficient
Miscellaneous Notes: Opisthoteuthis albatrossi and other opisthoteuthid octopuses are characterized by a web between their tentacles, earning the the common name 'umbrella octopus'. As a method of defense against a would-be predator, they can balloon themselves up by extending the web between the tentacles as much as possible, making them look larger and more formidable.

bmathison1972

Species: Sasakia charonda (Hewitson, 1863) (great purple emperor; Japanese emperor)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Insects Gather to Sap: Night Feast of Midsummer
Year of Production: 2015
Size/Scale: Figure width 6.0 cm. If spread like an actual specimen, wingspan would come to 6.4 cm for scales of 1:1.3 (male) and 1:1 (female) (see below).
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen S. charonda in the Museum. These two figures represent the same sculpt, with one painted as a male (left) and one as a female (right). In reality, the female should be larger. The figures also have a flat, non-obtrusive magnet on the underside of a small habitat-style base (barely visible from above). The wingspans above are calculated based on averages for each sex.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan
Habitat: Broadleaf forests, usually in the upper canopies
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genus Celtis (hackberry); adults are attracted to overripe fruit and sap flows, especially of Quercus (oak)
Miscellaneous Notes: Sasakia charonda is sexually dimorphic in terms of both color and size. Males are smaller (average wingspan 5.0 cm) and have bright purple-blue in the basal half of their wings. Females are larger (average wingspan 6.5 cm) and have a solid gray-brown basal color. Both sexes have series of white maculae in a similar pattern.

bmathison1972

Species: Allomyrina dichotoma (Linnaeus, 1771) (Japanese rhinoceros beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Little Wonders
Year of Production: 2009
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) 6.2 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the tenth time we have seen A. dichotoma in the Museum. And there should be no surprise really that this would be the first species to reach this milestone, as it's the best-represented species in my collection! The smaller figure in the image is the miniature counterpart of the larger figure; it was released in 2020 as part of the Mini Insects and Spiders collection. All of the figures in the mini collection are simply smaller versions of the standard-sized CollectA figures. This smaller figure measures 3.5 cm (including cephalic horn) for a scale of 1:2 for a major male.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia, including China, Korea, Taiwan, and Japan
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical hardwood forests
Diet: Larvae feed on organic detritus in soil; adults are attracted to sap flows
Miscellaneous Notes: Allomyrina dichotoma is used in insect fighting, a form of gambling. In the most popular form of the game, two male beetles are placed on a log. Gamblers then wager on which male will win. The two beetles will try and push one another off of the log; whichever beetle is able to stay on the log is deemed the winner.

bmathison1972

Species: Papilio glaucus Linnaeus, 1758 (eastern tiger swallowtail)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: US Toy
Series: Butterfly Collection
Size/Scale: Wingspan 7.0 cm for a scale of 1:2 for a large specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the seventh species of Papilio we have seen in the Museum. I don't know much about this toy; I bought it years ago at a dollar store in Arizona. However, I have seen them sold online under US Toy. While today's figure does not have a very realistic color pattern for P. glaucus, it seems to have been influenced by the Club Earth figure of the same species that started this trend.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Eastern North America
Habitat: Deciduous woodlands, swamps, fields, roadsides, riparian areas, parks, gardens, urban areas
Diet: Larvae feed on a wide variety of plants; common host plants include Prunus serotina (wild black cherry), Fraxinus (ash), Magnolia virginiana (sweet bay), Persea palustrus (swamp bay), Liriodendron tulipifera (tuliptree). Adults take nectar from flowers.
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated (NatureServe Status is Secure)
Miscellaneous Notes: Papilio glaucus is diurnal and mostly solitary, usually found high among the canopies of trees. Males will patrol a territory for females in habitats that contain appropriate host plants and often in areas with high moisture absorbtion by the sodium ion concentration in the area. During their courtship 'dance', males will release pheromones to entice females into mating.

bmathison1972

Species: Dynastes hercules (Linnaeus, 1758) (Hercules beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Access Toys
Series: Rhinoceros Beetles
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Body length of yellow figure (including pronotal horn) 9.7 cm. Body length of blue figure (including pronotal horn) 9.5 cm. Both figures 1:1.5-1:2 for large major male specimens.
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our eighth time seeing D. hercules in the Museum. Despite these two figures being part of the same set, they are not the same sculpt! The yellow figure was specifically marketed as the nominate subspecies, D. h. hercules while the blue figure was specifically marketed as the subspecies D. h. lichyi. Due to the subtle morphologic nuances of the subspecies of D. hercules (see below), I don't recognize or arrange figures to subspecies in my collection.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and South America, Caribbean
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting wood; adults are attracted to fresh and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Depending on the taxonomy applied, there are roughly ten subspecies of D. hercules. These subspecies and their geographic distributions include: 1) D. h. hercules (Guadeloupe and Dominica), 2) D. h. reidi (Martinique and Saint Lucia), 3) D. h. bleuzeni (Guiana Shield in Venezuela), 4) D. h. trinidadensis (Trinidad and Tobago), 5) D. h. equatorianus (eastern slopes of Ecuadorian, Colombian, and Peruvian Andes), 6) D. h. morishimai (Bolivian Yungas), 7) D. h. paschoali (Brazilian Atlantic Forest), 8 ) D. h. lichyi (Andes Highlands of Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru), 9) D. h. occidentalis (Chocó Cloud Forest on western slopes of Colombian and Ecuadorian Andes), 10) D. h. septrionalis (Central America, from southern Mexico to Panama). In 2017, a paper out of Taiwan elevated these subspecies to the species level; however, I doubt those changes will be widely accepted among scarab workers. In that 2017 paper, the authors relied heavily on horn morphology, distribution, and habitat, but did not perform a critical evaluation of the aedeagus, which for beetles is considered a more reliable structure for defining species.

bmathison1972

Species: Papilio xuthus Linnaeus, 1767 (Asian swallowtail; Chinese yellow swallowtail)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Diversity of Life on Earth - Caterpillars
Year of Production: 2021
Size/Scale: Figure length 11.5 cm for a scale of nearly 3:1 for a large specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third time we've seen P. xuthus in the Museum. There are three figures in this collection, all the same sculpt representing different species of Papilio. Assembly is required and the final product is articulated. These are not toys, and are probably best for serious and patient collectors who specialize in these taxa. All three species have a retractable osmeterium (a defense organ) that can be exposed by first pulling the head and legs forward, popping out the osmeterium, and then resetting the head.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, introduced to Hawaii
Habitat: Forests, gardens, parks, citrus orchards
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the family Rutaceae, including cultivated Citrus; adults are attracted to flowers
Miscellaneous Notes: Papilio xuthus can have up to 4-5 generations a year, with the first generation emerging from mid-April to early May. After eggs hatch, the larval stage lasts approximately 3-5 weeks. The pupal stages lasts approximately two weeks.

bmathison1972

Species: Gallus gallus domesticus (Linnaeus, 1758) (Silkie chicken)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Papo
Series: Farm Life
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Height 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:4-1:7
Frequency of breed in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: As commonly as domestic chickens are made as toys, from what I can tell this is the first (and only) figure of a Silkie. As with cattle, I am particularly fond of poultry breeds, so expect more in the Museum in the future :).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Breed originated in China; today the Silkie is bred throughout Asia, Europe, and North America
Habitat: Farmlands, pastures, urban backyards
Diet: Grains
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Domesticated
Miscellaneous Notes: Today the Silkie is bred most commonly as a novelty pet or show bird; they are good with children, other chickens, and other livestock. However, they are also bred for their meat and eggs. Their meat is black and in Chinese folklore is believed to give medical and magical properties to those who eat it. Their bones are also used in traditional Chinese medicine.

bmathison1972

Species: Epipedobates tricolor (Boulenger, 1899) (phantasmal poison frog)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Club Earth
Series: Poison Frogs Alive!
Size/Scale: Snout-to-vent length approximately 4.0 cm for a scale of 1.8:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was marketed by Club Earth (I bought it in its original packaging), but is stamped with the Wing Mau logo, reinforcing the relationship between these two companies. The same sculpt was used for Club Earth's Frogs to Go collection. Probably originally produced in the 1990s, this sculpt was unique for this species until Yowie Group made one in 2016 for their All American Collection.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Endemic to the Andean slopes of Bolívar Province in Ecuador
Habitat: Chocoan tropical and subtropical rainforest, in leaf litter on the forest floor, usually in riparian areas; also banana plantations and agricultural fields
Diet: Small insects
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Vulnerable
Miscellaneous Notes: Epipedobates tricolor is oviparous. Eggs are laid in damp leaf litter and the male guards them until they hatch. After they hatch, the male carries the tadpoles on his back to suitable water sources.

bmathison1972

Species: †Daspletosaurus torosus Russell, 1970

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Year of Production: 2021
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 25.0 cm for a scale of 1:32-1:36
Miscellaneous Notes: I was excited for the release of this figure. Apex-predator theropods are probably my least favorite group of dinosaurs, but Doug Watson's theropods are my favorite! The only other relatively recent releases of 'standard-sized' figures of this genus I am aware of are those by CollectA (2013), which has an unlikely color scheme and proportional issues (although it is a resting pose, which is rare for dinosaur figures), and Geoworld (release date and availability unknown to me). It looks as though an articulated model by Creative Beast Studio (Beasts of the Mesozoic) is slated to come out in late 2023 (dinosaur specialists can confirm or correct this prediction).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Cretaceous (Campanian) of present-day western North America (Laramidia)
Habitat: Coastal plains, lowland forests, swamps
Diet: Other animals, particularly ornithischian dinosaurs
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Daspletosaurus torosus coexisted with Gorgosaurus, one of the few examples of more than one tyrannosaur genus coexisting. There have been several theories as to how two apex tyrannosaur predators would coexist. One theory suggests that the two genera favored different prey, with Gorgosaurus specializing on hadrosaurs and Daspletosaurus specializing on ceratopsians; however, examination of gut contents of at least one Daspletosaurus fossil shows they also fed on hadrosaurs. Another theory is that the genera were generally separated geographically, with Daspletosaurus more abundant in the southern part of Laramidia and Gorgosaurus more abundant in the norther part.

bmathison1972

Species: Allomyrina dichotoma (Linnaeus, 1771) (Japanese rhinoceros beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Tropical Rain Forest Rhinoceros Beetles
Year of Production: 2005
Size/Scale: Log base 5.5 cm. Body length (including cephalic horn) 5.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the 11th time we have seen A. dichotoma in the Museum (and those 11 posts represent 10 companies!). The beetle is removable from its log base, to which it attached with a small acrylic rod. Minimal assembly required (legs need to be attached).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia, including China, Korea, Taiwan, and Japan
Habitat: Tropical and subtropical hardwood forests
Diet: Larvae feed on organic detritus in soil; adults are attracted to sap and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Allomyrina dichotoma is sometimes placed in the genus Trypoxylus; however, many scarab workers consider Trypoxylus a synonym of Allomyrina.

bmathison1972

Species: Phalacrognathus muelleri MacLeay, 1885 (rainbow stag beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Tropical Rain Forest Stag Beetles
Year of Production: 2005
Size/Scale: Length of base 6.5 cm. Body length 5.0 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The beetle is removable from its log base, to which it attached with a small acrylic rod. Minimal assembly required (legs need to be attached).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia (northeastern Queensland), New Guinea
Habitat: Rainforests, sclerophyll forests
Diet: Larvae feed in decaying wood; adults eat decaying wood, sap, nectar, and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Larvae of P. muelleri breed in decaying wood infected with white rot fungi (including Ganoderma, Nigrofomes, Phellinus, and Pycnoporus). Larvae can take up to three years to develop in the host substrate. After pupating, adults live through the spring and summer; in captivity, adults are hardy and can live 12-18 months.

bmathison1972

Species: Cygnus atratus (Latham, 1790) (black swan)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Science and Nature
Series: Animals of Australia - Small
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Figure height (including base) 5.8 cm. Scale difficult to calculate, but body length measured along spine approximately 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:13.75-1:17.5
Miscellaneous Notes: The only other figure specifically attributable to this species I am aware of is a Cadbury Yowie. Safari Ltd. (2000) and Papo (2010) also both produced black swans, but their figures were merely repaints of mute swans. As such, those figure possess the large knob on the beak of mute swans that black swans should not have.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia; adventive in New Zealand, Japan, China, Europe, and scattered areas of North America
Habitat: Lakes, rivers, swamps, marshes, flooded fields; in fresh, brackish, and salt water
Diet: Aquatic and sub-aquatic vegetation
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: For the most part, C. atratus is monogamous and mates for life; however, pairings between two males and threesomes with two males and a female also occur. It has been estimated that nearly 1/3 of all broods may exhibit extra-pair paternity. A pair raises one brood per season. Batches of 4-10 eggs are laid in untidy nests made up of reeds and grasses. The nest is usually on a small island or floats on the water's surface. Eggs are incubated for about 35-40 days. Young (cygnets) are capable of swimming as soon as they hatch.

Isidro

In the 17th century, European zoologists that belief in some fantastic creatures of bestiaries such as unicorns and mermaids, didn't belief in the existence of black swans, because an animal as pure as a swan "could not be black" :D

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on May 31, 2022, 12:49:57 PMIn the 17th century, European zoologists that belief in some fantastic creatures of bestiaries such as unicorns and mermaids, didn't belief in the existence of black swans, because an animal as pure as a swan "could not be black" :D

Just like the platypus, they didn't think anything from Australia was real  8)