News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Goliathus orientalis Moser, 1909 (eastern Goliath beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: DeAgostini
Series: World Insect Data Book
Year of Release: Unknown
Size/Scale: Body length 9.0 cm, within scale 1:1 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: This is an archived photo, since my DeAgostini figures are currently packed away. I was not able to measure it, but forum member brontodocus has posted this figure at 9.0 cm. The DeAgostini figures are cast from actual specimens and are therefore all in the 1:1 range, regardless of their size. The figures were sold as premiums with books and come in a plastic display box with their Latin and Japanese names. I am not sure what year the figures were released, and it is possible they were released over multiple years. The figures are secured to the base of the box with a small screw, but can be safely removed if one choses to display them outside of the box.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Democratic Republic of the Congo and Tanzania
Habitat: Savanna
Diet: Larvae live in soil and feed on detritus; adults are attracted to ripe fruit and sap flows on trees
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Like many other scarab beetle, Goliath beetles exhibit sexual dimorphism. Males have a larger body than females, which is not the norm for other sexually-dimorphic scarabs. Also, males have two-pronged cephalic horns.

Isidro

My first tough is how incredibly realistic is this figure, that could pass perfectly for a pinned real specimen. Reading the text, I understood why.

bmathison1972

Species: Hartigia cressonii (Kirby, 1882) (raspberry horntail)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Play Visions
Series: Bees, Wasps, and Hornets
Year of Release: 1996
Size/Scale: Body length 5.5 cm for a scale of 4.5:1-3:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Based on the color, this figure represents a female; H cressonii exhibits sexual dimorphism and males are more jet blue-black.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Western North America
Habitat: Fields, forests, disturbed areas
Diet: Larvae bore into the stems of plants in the genera Rubus (raspberries, blackberries, and loganberries) and Rosa (rose); adults are attracted to flowers.
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is regarded as an economic pest in the raspberry and blackberry industries.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 16, 2020, 11:41:08 PM
Cool to see a beetle in flight! Not the most common presentation for figures.

@Halichoeres - thanks to the Japanese manufacturers, there are quite a few; here are two more  8)

Species: Prosopocoilus giraffa (Olivier, 1789) (giraffe stag beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - Flying Beetles
Years of Release: 2005 and 2006
Size/Scale: Body + mandible length 7.2 cm for a scale of 1:1.7 for a large specimen. Wingspan 10.5 cm.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: Sega released at least two sets of flying beetles; one in 2005 and one in 2006. The species composition is not the same in the two sets, and when species are duplicated, the sculpt is not 100% identical. There are also some differences in the paint application; in this case, the 2005 figure (on the right) has red eyes while the 2006 figure has black eyes. Some assembly is required (and personally, I feel the 2006 figures hold together better). The figures come with a clear acrylic base from which they can be easily removed.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of Southeast Asia, from southern India to Indonesia
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting hardwoods; adults are attracted to sap flows
Miscellaneous Notes: Prosopocoilus giraffa is the largest of the 150+ species in the genus.

Lanthanotus

Nice.... should they not maintain a more vertical position in flight though?

I should really get out my Schleich Minis to review the only insect toys I own.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 20, 2020, 11:57:59 PM
Nice.... should they not maintain a more vertical position in flight though?

Possibly, but the figures wouldn't balance very well  ;)

bmathison1972

Species: Mesotopus tarandus (Swederus, 1787)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King, standard series, small
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: Body + mandible length 6.0 cm, for a scale of 1:1.3 for a large specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: Mesotopus tarandus has become a staple among sets of beetles produced by Japanese manufacturers. The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures. They represented roughly 75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the set, please see here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Equatorial West Africa, including Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Ghana
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae breed in rotting logs colonized by very specific fungi; adult feeding habits not well-documented but probably attracted to sap flows.
Miscellaneous Notes: It was a challenge researching much on the biology of this species. They are popular with beetle breeders, but can be challenging to rear unless their diet is supplemented with specific fungi.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on November 18, 2020, 06:07:58 PM
My first tough is how incredibly realistic is this figure, that could pass perfectly for a pinned real specimen. Reading the text, I understood why.

@Isidro - I have had professional entomologists come into my apartment and be fooled by these figures ;-)

bmathison1972

Species: Paralithodes camtschaticus (Tilesius, 1815) (Alaskan king crab; red king crab)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Sealife
Year of Release: 2019
Size/Scale: Legspan 12.5 cm. Carapace width 3.5 cm for a scale of 1:2-1:8
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: Not including figures in Safari Ltd's 'Incredible Creatures' line, this figure was the first crustacean released in a Western company's 'Sealife' line. It was also CollectA's first crustacean (looks like they'll be following it up next year with an American lobster!). This figure is one of the largest of its species on the toy market, but it is also one of the best, rivaling some of those made by Japanese companies. If its size isn't an issue, it makes a great addition to one's collection (if it is too big, there are very nice, smaller models available by Kaiyodo, Epoch, and Yujin).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northern Pacific, including the Japan, Okhotsk, and Bering Seas and the Gulf of Alaska; introduced to the Barents Sea
Habitat: Benthic, usually at depths of 0-460 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates, algae
Miscellaneous Notes: Unlike most crabs and their relatives that have ten visible legs (they belong to the order Decapoda, which is Greek for 'ten feet'), P. camtschaticus and its relatives have only eight (three pairs of walking legs and one pair of claws). The last pair of legs are reduced in size and hidden inside the gill chamber under the carapace and are used for cleaning the gills.

bmathison1972

Species: Macrocheira kaempferi (Temminck, 1836) (giant Japanese spider crab)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Sendai Aquarium Figure Collection
Year of Release: 2015
Size/Scale: Figure legspan 7.0 cm. Carapace width 1.5 cm for a scale of 1:26.6 for a large specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure comes with a blue plastic rock base (not shown); the acrylic rod snapped off in my base so my figure doesn't securely attach anymore. Thankfully, the figure displays fine without the base. Some assembly is required as well. This species is not commonly made, but is usually available, by Japanese companies.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific in the seas around Japan and Taiwan
Habitat: Benthic, usually at depths of 50-400 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates and algae, also a scavenger
Miscellaneous Notes: Macrocheira kaempferi is the largest crab in the world by legspan, with some specimens reaching 3.7 meters. In fact, it has the largest legspan of any extant arthropod!

bmathison1972

Species: Chelidonichthys spinosus (McClelland, 1844) (spiny red gurnard)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Salt Water Fish
Year of Release: 2015 (2006)
Size/Scale: Body length 4.4 cm for a scale of 1:9 for a large specimen. Base 5.5 cm long.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other figures in the Salt Water Fish collection, the animal attaches to a habitat-style base from which it can be easily removed. The clear acrylic rod that connects the figure to the base can be cut to the desired length of the collector. Colorata released this set more than once; mine came out in 2015 but the first release of this figure was 2006. The only other figure of this species I am aware of is a Kaiyodo Aquatales figure that came out in 2003.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific, from the Sea of Japan to South China Sea
Habitat: Demersal, usually at depths of 25-615 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates, small fish
Miscellaneous Notes: Gurnards (also known as sea robins) have walking rays on the sides of their body that are used for specialized locomotion as well as prey detection via chemoreception. The walking rays are modified fin rays that separate from the rest of the pectoral fins during development.

bmathison1972

Species: †Pachycrocuta brevirostris (Aymard, 1846) (giant short-faced hyena)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Paleo-Creatures
Series: N/A
Year of Release: 2016
Size/Scale: Figure 9.0 cm long. Height at shoulder 5.0 cm for a scale of 1:18-1:20.
Miscellaneous Notes: Paleo-Creatures were designed and produced by forum member Jetoar. The figure stands loosely on the flat habitat-style base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Late Miocene to Middle Pleistocene of Eurasia and East Africa
Habitat: Plains, forest edges, and other open areas
Diet: Kleptoparasitic scavenger, occasionally a predator
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Pachycrocuta brevirostris was the largest hyena species known. It was also the largest mammal capable of cracking bones, which was essential given that its diet probably consisted mainly of carcasses of large animals such as deer, bison, and horses that were killed by other mammals (such as large cats).

bmathison1972

Species: Caridina cantonensis Yü, 1938 (bee shrimp)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: AquaKitz
Series: Aquakitz Crystal Red Shrimp Bee Shrimp Figures Limited Edition
Year of Release: unknown (2012-2016)
Size/Scale: Body length 5.0 cm. Carapace length 3.0 cm for a scale of 5:1-3.75:1 [scale not exact due to somewhat stylized nature of the figures]
Miscellaneous Notes: These are specialty novelty figures rather than typical toys. They can be purchased on the AquaKitz website, a site devoted to bee shrimp and rearing them in aquaria. The black form is called Crystal Black, which is a wild-type form; the red one is called Crystal Red, which is a captive-bred strain. The figures come with a foam base (not shown) for support and protection during display. The figures are limited in number and I notice their selection is much lower than when I purchased mine in 2016. They also make larger, 18 cm figures (for which I have one that will be reviewed at a later date); the larger figures are more realistic than these smaller, stylized figures.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Taiwan, mainland China, Hong Kong, and possibly northern Vietnam
Habitat: Freshwater mountain streams and rivulets, pools, artificial ditches
Diet: Decaying vegetation, algae
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Bee shrimp are extremely popular in aquaria and there are many breeds and varieties of contrasting colors of black, red, white, and blue.

bmathison1972

Species: Dugesia japonica Ichikawa and Kawakatsu, 1964

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kitan Club
Series: Science Techni Colour - Planaria: Trichladida
Year of Release: 2015
Size/Scale: Body length 5.5 cm for a scale of 11:1-5.5:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare (unique as a set)
Miscellaneous Notes: There were six figures in this set, this one, another normal specimen, and four representing the results of various regeneration experiments. The figures are all 'strap' figures and the cord had to be cut from the head (hence the unsightly rough edges around the front of the head). To my knowledge, this set represents the only figures of flatworms on the toy market!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan
Habitat: Freshwater lakes, ponds, streams
Diet: Freshwater protozoans and invertebrates, also a scavenger
Miscellaneous Notes: Dugesia japonica is commonly used as a laboratory model in regeneration experiments. For example, if you slice the 'head' down the midline, it will grow two heads; or cut the planarian in half mid-body and the 'tail' will grow a head and the 'head' will grow a tail. Dugesia japonica is hermaphroditic and can reproduce sexually or asexually, the latter by parthenogenesis or fission.

bmathison1972

Species: Idea leuconoe Erichson, 1834 (paper kite; large tree nymph)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Insects of Japan Vol. 4
Year of Release: 2007
Size/Scale: Wingspan of adult 11.5 cm, within scale 1:1. Pupa 2.7 cm; display with leaf 7.5 cm tall.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The adult was in the main set; the pupa was the secret/chase figure. Like all of the Yujin Insects of Japan figures, assembly is required. The adult can display without its base, but the pupa is permanently attached to the leaf. It is believed the Insects of Japan figures are cast from actual specimens, so they are all in the 1:1 scale. If you want to create a life cycle display, Kaiyodo produced a nice larva of this species in 2015.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia, from Thailand to Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan, southern Japan, and northern Australia
Habitat: Lowland forests, mangrove swamps
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genera Parsonsia, Tylophora, and Cynanchum; adults take nectar from flowers.
Miscellaneous Notes: Like with other danaine butterflies, the host plants for I. leuconoe are poisonous; the larvae and adult butterflies retain the toxins and are distasteful to birds and other would-be predators.

bmathison1972

Species: †Campephilus principalis (Linnaeus, 1758) (ivory-billed woodpecker)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Wildlife
Year of Release: 2017
Size/Scale: Figure stands 9.7 cm tall. Total body length approximately 9.0 cm for a scale of 1:5.3-1:5.8 (using beak length, scale calculates between 1:4.8 and 1:6.0).
Miscellaneous Notes: This magnificent figure is one (of several) that finally prompted me to start a synoptic non-arthropod collection. The detail is fantastic and I love animals (especially smaller animals such as invertebrates, reptiles, fish, amphibians, and smaller mammals and birds) on habitat-style bases. Campephilus principalis is sexually dimorphic, and the red crest indicates this figure is a male (females have black crests).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Historically much of coastal southeastern United States, extending inland up some waterways where habitat was appropriate; also Cuba.
Habitat: Dense swampland, old growth forests, and upland pine forests
Diet: Larvae of woodboring beetles, fruit, nuts, seeds
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Critically Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Campephilus principalis is the second largest woodpecker in the world; only its Mexican congener, the imperial woodpecker (C. imperialis), is larger. While the IUCN currently lists this species as critically endangered, it is considered extinct or probably extinct by the American Birding Association. Most reported sightings since 1944 have been accepted with hesitation or skepticism.

bmathison1972

Today was post 50 for this Museum thread (man, time flies by). Revisiting these original pie charts and how things have come up:

1. Arthropods: 30
     a. Insects: 21
     b. Crustaceans: 6
     c. Arachnids: 2
     d. Misc. Arthropods: 1
2. Fish: 6
3. Mammals: 5
4. Birds: 2
5. Dinosaurs: 2
6. Reptiles: 2
7. Misc. Invertebrates: 2
8. Amphibians: 1
9. Plankton and Protozoans: 0

Statistically, the numbers fall about where expected. Kinda odd there are more fish than mammals, but the one surprising stat for me is how few birds have come up, and the second one was only posted today!
For the arthropods, I combined 'Pan-Arthropods' and 'Myriapods' and moved the Xiphosurans into the Arachnids, but those moves are relatively minor given their numbers.

Lanthanotus

I got a question about the 1st chart.... the animal figures you post are naturally identified as species, but the chart seems to show genus or another tier rather than species, as in regards of number of species mammals would be greatly outnumbered by fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. It says "major taxa", but what kind of taxon is it related to?

click

bmathison1972

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 29, 2020, 07:11:31 PM
I got a question about the 1st chart.... the animal figures you post are naturally identified as species, but the chart seems to show genus or another tier rather than species, as in regards of number of species mammals would be greatly outnumbered by fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. It says "major taxa", but what kind of taxon is it related to?

click

@Lanthanotus that data is based on the number of figures in my collection, not described species or genera on a world basis.

Lanthanotus

@bmathison1972 Ah, sorry.... I think you mentioned that in your first post, but I seem to have forgotten it. Thanks for the clarification.