Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Papilio bianor Cramer, 1777 (Chinese peacock; common peacock)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Insects of Japan Vol. 3
Year of Production: 2007
Size/Scale: If spread flat, wingspan would come to approximately 9.5 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the sixth species of Papilio we've seen in the Museum; the first genus to reach that milestone. Assembly is required. Yujin would go on to use this same sculpt for their red Helen (P. helenus) in the fourth volume of the Insects of Japan series.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan
Habitat: Forests, woodlands, parks, gardens
Diet: Larvae feed on a variety of plants, including Citrus, Zanthoxylum (prickly ash), Phellodendron (cork-tree), Ruta (rue), Skimmia, Tetradium, Clausena, Rhus (sumac); adults feed on pollen and nectar
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: Papilio bianor can be incredibly variable in size. Adults that emerge earlier in the season, in the spring, are typically smaller with 4-8 cm wingspans. Adults that emerge in the summer are larger, with wingspans typically 9-10 cm but occasionally reaching 12 cm.

bmathison1972

Species: Crotaphytus collaris (Say, 1823) (common collared lizard)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Wing Mau
Series: Lizards
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Total body length (including tail) 17.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.2-1:2.2
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was also sold by Club Earth in their Lizards to Go collection. There are a couple variations on the color scheme.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central and Southwestern North America
Habitat: Deserts, rocky outcroppings, boulder-strewn hillsides, grasslands; generally in arid and rocky areas
Diet: Arthropods, small lizards and snakes
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: When escaping predators, C. collaris can run in a bipedal motion at speeds upwards to 24 kph.

bmathison1972

Species: †Anomalocaris canadensis Whiteaves, 1892

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Favorite Co. Ltd.
Series: Prehistoric Life - Soft Model
Year of Production: 2014
Size/Scale: Body length (exclusive of appendages) 14.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.7
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: The model is removable from its base. In 2021, it was re-released with a new paint job (green). Favorite made at least two other sizes of this species, a 'mini' model in their Cambrian Creatures collection (2016) and a larger vinyl model (2014). This figure is structurally accurate for the time it was made, hence it lacks head sclerites. The the oral cone is generic and indistinguishable from other anomalocaridids. A related species from China, A. saron has been described with a pair of long caudal filaments, but it is currently unknown if A. canadensis possessed these structures as well.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early to mid-Cambrian of present-day Canada
Habitat: Marine, demersal
Diet: Presumably marine invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Anomalocaris canadensis was first described in 1892 based on its anterior appendage, which was perceived to be the body of a phyllopod crustacean! Various other partial anomalocaridid structures have been described as jellyfish, sea cucumbers, and polychaete worms. It wasn't until 1979 that the original structure the animal was described from was recognized as the feeding appendage of a larger arthropod.

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 20, 2022, 12:15:40 PM
Species: †Anomalocaris canadensis Whiteaves, 1892

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Favorite Co. Ltd.
Series: Prehistoric Life - Soft Model
Year of Production: 2014
Size/Scale: Body length (exclusive of appendages) 14.0 cm for a scale of 1:2.7
Miscellaneous Notes: The model is removable from its base. In 2021, it was re-released with a new paint job (green). Favorite made at least two other sizes of this species, a 'mini' model in their Cambrian Creatures collection (2016) and a larger vinyl model (2014). This figure is structurally accurate for the time it was made, hence it lacks head sclerites. The the oral cone is generic and indistinguishable from other anomalocaridids. A related species from China, A. saron has been described with a pair of long caudal filaments, but it is currently unknown if A. canadensis possessed these structures as well.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Early to mid-Cambrian of present-day Canada
Habitat: Marine, demersal
Diet: Presumably marine invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A [prehistoric]
Miscellaneous Notes: Anomalocaris canadensis was first described in 1892 based on its anterior appendage, which was perceived to be the body of a phyllopod crustacean! Various other partial anomalocaridid structures have been described as jellyfish, sea cucumbers, and polychaete worms. It wasn't until 1979 that the original structure the animal was described from was recognized as the feeding appendage of a larger arthropod.

How big was anomalocaris? Still looking for a figure of it to add to my collection

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Species: Mesotopus tarandus (Swederus, 1787)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - Beetle Magnet
Size/Scale: Body length (including mandibles) 3.5 cm for a scale of 1:2 for a major male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our fifth look at M. tarandus in the Museum (and the third by Sega). As the name of the set suggests, the figure has a small magnet on its ventral side. I don't know how many figures are in this set; the 10 I have I received over time from forum member Beetle guy.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Equatorial West Africa (Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Ghana)
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae breed in rotting logs colonized by very specific fungi; adult feeding habits not well-documented but probably attracted to sap flows.
Miscellaneous Notes: Commonly called the 'African Demon', M. tarandus is one of the largest stag beetles in Africa. That is probably why it is the only African species routinely made by Japanese companies. It is also cultivated in terraria, but can be difficult to rear because it requires a substrate supplemented with specific fungi.

bmathison1972

Species: Dorcus rectus (Motschulsky, 1857) (little stag beetle)

About the Figure:
Series: Mush King - Flying Beetles
Year of Production: 2005
Size/Scale: Wingspan 10.0 cm. Body length (including mandibles) 5.7 cm. Body length (excluding mandibles) 4.2 cm for a scale of 1.3:1 for a major male
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third species of Dorcus we've seen in the Museum (and honestly, I am surprised we've only seen three by now, as I have over 60 specimens representing 11 species). The beetle is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia (Taiwan, Korea, Japan)
Habitat: Hardwood forests
Diet: Larvae feed in dead hardwood infected with white rot fungus; adults are attracted to sap
Miscellaneous Notes: Dorcus rectus is one of the few lucanid species with documented mandible trimorphism, meaning there are three different mandible types in the males. Males can have long mandibles with two pairs of teeth, long mandibles with one pair of teeth, and intermediate mandibles with no teeth. These three mandible types appear to be proportional to the body size of the beetle, from largest to smallest, respectively.

bmathison1972

Species: Prosopocoilus inclinatus (Motschulsky, 1857)

About the Figure:
Series: 'Beetles on Wood'
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: Base 2.0 cm long. Total body length (including mandibles) 3.2 cm for a scale of roughly 1:2
Miscellaneous Notes: Three lucanids by Sega in a row! That's the thing about randomness; it can happen! Today is our sixth look at this commonly-made species in the Museum. 'Beetles on Wood' is my designation for a set of very small Sega figures that depict the usual scarabaeoid beetles on logs. I don't know much about this set, including the official name of the set, when they came out, or how many figures are in it (I have 15 out of 16 known figures; the one I didn't retain is an anime version of Allomyrina dichotoma, which I believe serves as Sega's Mushi King mascot).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan, Taiwan, Korean Peninsula
Habitat: Oak forests
Diet: Larvae breed in rotting logs of Quercus (oak); adults are attracted to sap flows.
Miscellaneous Notes: There are roughly seven subspecies of P. inclinatus: the nominate P. i. inclinatus occurs in Japan, Taiwan, and the Korean Peninsula; P. i. kuchinoerabuensis occurs on Kuchinoerabujima Island, Japan; P. i. koreanus occurs in North Korea; P. i. kuroshimaensis occurs on Kuroshima Island, Japan; P. i. mikuraensis occurs on Mikura Island, Japan; P. i. yakushimaensis occurs on Yakushima Island, Japan; P. i. mishimaiouensis occurs on Mishima Island, Japan.

Gwangi

I'm amazed by how many stag beetles you have, and how many exist. My kid has one that is stamped with a date from the 70's, I should see if you can identify it for me.

bmathison1972

sure; @Gwangi - post in on the ID thread or email it to me :)

I wonder if it the one I am thinking of? Rubbery body, but hard elytra that snap on snuggly?

With regards to the stag beetle diversity, we can thank Sega for that!!! Many more still to come!  :o

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 23, 2022, 02:36:22 PM
sure; @Gwangi - post in on the ID thread or email it to me :)

I wonder if it the one I am thinking of? Rubbery body, but hard elytra that snap on snuggly?

With regards to the stag beetle diversity, we can thank Sega for that!!! Many more still to come!  :o

Yes, it does have a rubber body and hard elytra. I think you already know what it is but I'll get a photo posted eventually.

bmathison1972

Species: Aix sponsa (Linnaeus, 1758) (wood duck)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Maia & Borges
Series: Water and Lake Birds
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Figure 5.2 cm tall. Scale difficult to calculate, but measured along spine body length approximately 8.5 cm for a scale of 1:5.5-1:6.4
Miscellaneous Notes: Other figures of A. sponsa in this relative scale were also made by AAA (small) and New Ray, the latter featured in wildlife and hunting sets. Today's figure is one of my absolute favorite bird figures!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North America, especially in the East and along the Pacific Flyway; feral populations and vagrants present in Europe
Habitat: Sheltered ponds, lakes, rivers, swamps; in areas where trees are present for nesting
Diet: Nuts, fruits, aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Aix sponsa is a diurnal duck, and with the exception of females with young, they sleep on the water. Nests occur in tree cavities, and therefore bodies of water need to be within about 1.5 km of suitable trees, especially in the breeding season (February-April).

bmathison1972

Species: Carassius auratus (Linnaeus, 1758) (goldfish)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Goldfish Pictorial Book Series 1
Year of Production: 2006
Size/Scale: Total figure height 6.5 cm. Body length 7.5 cm, within scale 1:1 for a young specimen; about 1:4.7 for a mature specimen
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was released twice by Yujin, and may have been re-released or copied by other companies such as Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., Wing Mau, or Beam. My figure is from the original 2006 release. The figure is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Native to East Asia; now cosmopolitan
Habitat: Lakes, ponds, slow-moving rivers and streams
Diet: Aquatic plants, aquatic invertebrates, zooplankton, detritus
Miscellaneous Notes: Carassius auratus was first domesticated in China, possibly as early as during the Jin Dynasty (266-420 A.D.). The origins of C. auratus are not clear. Historically, it was generally believed that the domestic goldfish was descended from the Crucian carp (C. carassius), but recent molecular data suggest that some populations of C. auratus in southern China represent natural wild populations. Popular in aquaria, some populations introduced into the wild are regarded as invasive pests. Today's figure was modeled after the Sarasa Comet variety; the Sarasa variant originated in China, although the comet breed originated in the United States.

bmathison1972

Species: Melibe viridis (Kelaart, 1858) (hooded nudibranch; green melibe)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Agatsuma Entertainment
Series: Amazing Creatures
Size/Scale: Base 8.0 cm wide. Body length approximately 6.0 cm for a scale of 1:2-1:6.7
Miscellaneous Notes: This species was also made by Kaiyodo for the Choco Q Animatales line. Both figures were marketed as M. japonica, which is now generally regarded as a synonym of M. viridis. The figure is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-West Pacific, Mediterranean
Habitat: Benthic, at depths of 3-9 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates, especially crustaceans
Miscellaneous Notes: Unlike most sea slugs that feed on sessile animals such as sponges and bryozoans, M. viridis is an active predator that swims close to the ocean floor, trapping swimming prey in its extendable oral veil. The oral veil functions similarly to the trap on a Venus fly trap plant: there are sensitive papillae on the inner edge of the oral veil; when they come in contact with potential prey, the veil closes rapidly, trapping the prey.

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 26, 2022, 01:49:54 PM
Species: Melibe viridis (Kelaart, 1858) (hooded nudibranch; green melibe)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Agatsuma Entertainment
Series: Amazing Creatures
Size/Scale: Base 8.0 cm wide. Body length approximately 6.0 cm for a scale of 1:2
Miscellaneous Notes: This species was also made by Kaiyodo for the Choco Q Animatales line. Both figures were marketed as M. japonica, which is now generally regarded as a synonym of M. viridis. The figure is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-West Pacific, Mediterranean
Habitat: Benthic, at depths of 3-9 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates, especially crustaceans
Miscellaneous Notes: Unlike most sea slugs that feed on sessile animals such as sponges and bryozoans, M. viridis is an active predator that swims close to the ocean floor, trapping swimming prey in its extendable oral veil. The oral veil functions similarly to the trap on a Venus fly trap plant: there are sensitive papillae on the inner edge of the oral veil; when they come in contact with potential prey, the veil closes rapidly, trapping the prey.

M.japonica could get up to 50cm while M. Viridis got up to 12cm. Any explanation how they're both regarded as the same species?

bmathison1972

No I haven't found a detailed explanation; but several references I found had japonica listed as a synonym of viridis. WoRMS, which is what I usually for nomenclatural updates has it as an 'uncertain synonym'.

Maybe the original description of viridis was based on an immature specimen?

I recalculated the scale base on the larger size range

bmathison1972

Species: Ancyluris formosissima (Hewitson, 1870) (Italian flag butterfly)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Toy Major
Series: Butterflies
Year of Production: 1996
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.5 cm for a scale of 1.7:1-1.4:1 (on average, 1.5:1)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: The Toy Major butterflies are somewhat of an enigma. There are 12 sculpts, labeled A-L on the underside as well as the copyright year of 1996. Each sculpt has been painted multiple times, resulting in anywhere from 24-36 figures (maybe more?). Also, the different repaints may have been released over multiple years while retaining the 1996 mark. They were sold in sets of various numbers. They are not marketed at the species level, but most are painted to look like recognizable species (the identifications are all mine, or by other forum members). Several species produced by Toy Major have been produced by other companies of the same era (Club Earth, early Safari Ltd., etc.), as these companies tend to copy one another, and it is sometimes difficult to determine who came first. Today's figure (which appears to adapted from one of the papilionid figures) seems be painted after the Peruvian subspecies, A. f. venerabilis.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: South America (Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru)
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: unknown
Miscellaneous Notes: I had a difficult time researching information on the biology of this species, including larval host plants and adult diet. Larvae of other species of Ancyluris feed on Miconia and Hyeronima. Adults of other species of Ancyluris feed on organic fluids other than those from flowers, including rotting fish.

P.S. - tomorrow will be post 500 so I'll follow it up with some statistics :)

bmathison1972

Species: Cybister chinensis Motschulsky, 1854 (giant Asian diving beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Kyoto Aquarium
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Bottlecap base about 3.5 cm in diameter. Body length 3.3 cm, within scale 1:1 for a smaller specimen.
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our third look at C. chinensis in the Museum, and the second by Kaiyodo (so far they are all 1:1 in scale). This species is usually marketed as C. japonicus, which is now considered a synonym of C. chinensis. The beetle is removable from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan
Habitat: Freshwater, including lakes, ponds, ditches, canals, rice paddies
Diet: Predaceous on freshwater insects, microcrustaceans, tadpoles, small fish
Miscellaneous Notes: The males of many large dytiscids, including C. chinensis, have specialized front tarsi; the tarsal segments are modified into large suction cups that are used to hold the female during underwater mating. This feature can be seen on today's figure.

bmathison1972

With today's post being the 500th, I it is time for a fun stats update.

First, let's look at percentages of major groups and how well they have performed.

percentage of my collection/percentage to date in this thread:
Arthropods: 56.9%/55.4%
Mammals: 13%/12.8%
Fish: 8.3%/10.6%
Birds*: 7.2%/6.6%
non-Arthropod Invertebrates: 4.3%/5.2%
Reptiles: 4.3%/4.2%
Amphibians*: 2.8%/2.6%
Dinosaurs*: 2.4%/2.2%
Protozoans/Plankton: 0.8%/0.4%

*Taxonomic Notes. Birds include all theropods within Euavialae, extinct or extant. The Dinosaur category is for 'traditional' prehistoric dinosaur clades (except anything in Euavialae); pterosaurs; mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs and other prehistoric aquatic reptiles; prehistoric crocodylomorphs; prehistoric non-mammal synapsids; and prehistoric reptiles with no close modern relatives. Amphibians include some prehistoric stem tetrapods.

Notes: As more reviews are done, things smooth out nicely. One factor that probably affects things, is that the main database is fluid as I am frequently adding things to the collection. However, the data continue to smooth out nicely. Most things are roughly only 1% off of where they should be. The big over-performer, as usual, is Fish. Birds are still under-performing, but it seems every stats update they get a little closer to where they should be. Protozoa and Plankton (which are only represented by 27 figures in my collection) continue to slip; 0.4% difference is actually quite a bit considering how few of them I have. I have nearly the same number of Reptiles as non-Arthropod Invertebrates in my collection (as of this writing, the latter has a one figure advantage!), but the invertebrates have been coming up a whole percentage point higher!

Now, within Arthropods:
Insects: 71.2%/75.1%
Crustaceans: 13.5%/11.9%
Arachnids: 10.2%/9.4%
Misc. Arthropods: 4.3%/3.6%

Notes: Looks like insects are still over-performing at the expense of everyone else, more so than the last updates at post 400. I should note, January was a particularly insect-rich month, with 17/31 posts being insects (23/31 posts were arthropods last month!).

There is one caveat that will affect percentages, ever so slightly (and mostly with regards to the arthropods), and that involves posts that remove two or more figures from the database (e.g., male and female figures released together). For the database, with the exception of life cycle sets, one line represents one figure. So, in these cases it is when the random number generator lands on one of the two (or more), but both (or more) are reviewed and removed. I have done a rough estimate on the number of posts that will remove more than one line from the database in one post:
Two figures: 158
Three figures: 14
Four figures: 3
Five figures: 1
Six figures: 1
*we have seen two figures covered 43 times, three figures four times, four figures once, and five figures once.

Now, some interesting numbers and tidbits of information:

Species that have come up more than once: Allomyrina dichotoma ( 8 ), Allotopus rosenbergi (4), Apis mellifera (2), Atrax robustus (2), Bathynomus giganteus (3), Beckius beccarii (2), Brachypelma smithi (3), Chalcosoma chiron (3), Chalcosoma moellenkampi (3), Cheirotonus jambar (2), Coccinella septempunctata (2), Cybister chinensis (3), Danaus plexippus (5), Dorcus hopei (3), Dynastes grantii (3), Dynastes hercules (6), Dynastes neptunus (4), Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata (2), Idea leuconoe (2), Lamprima adolphinae (2), Latrodectus mactans (2), Lucanus cervus (2), Lucanus maculifemoratus (5), Macrocheira kaempferi (3), Mantis religiosa (2), Megasoma actaeon (2), Megasoma elaphas (2), Mesotopus tarandus (5), Odontolabis burmeisteri (2), Ogyris genoveva (2); Onchorhynchus clarkii (2), Papilio machaon (3), Papilio xuthus (2), Prosopocoilus dissimilis (2), Prosopocoilus giraffa (3), Prosopocoilus inclinatus (6), Vespa mandarinia (2).

Genera with more than one species: Allomyrina (2), Ameerega (2), Androctonus (2), Aphonopelma (2), Chalcosoma (3), Cheirotonus (2), Coccinella] (2), Dorcus (3); Dynastes (3), Eupatorus (2), Hexarthrius (3), Lactoria (2), Lamprima (2), Latrodectus (3), Lucanus (2), Megasoma (3), Morpho (4), Myotis (2), Odontolabis (2), Oncorhynchus (3), Ornithoptera (3), Papilio (6), Polistes (2), Prosopocilus (4), Rosalia (2), Spheniscus (2), Vespa (2), Zerene (2).

Here are a list of companies (alphabetical order) and how many have come up in each (some posts can have more than one company). Companies with an asterisk are new since the last stats update:

4D Master  2   
AAA  1   
Agatsuma Entertainment  2*
AMT/Ertl  1   
AquaKitz  1   
Aquameridian Ltd./For Corporation  1*
Arboreum Artwork  2   
Ayano Katyama  1*
Bandai/Bandai Spirits  12   
Beam  1   
Blip Toys  2   
Break Co. Ltd.  1*
Bullyland  6   
Cadbury/Yowie Group  21   
Club Earth/Wing Mau  21   
CollectA  20   
Coca Cola  2   
Colorata  20   
DeAgostini  8   
Discovery Channel  1   
Dreams Come True Ltd.  1   
Eikoh  1   
Epoch/Tarlin  8   
FaunaFigures  1   
Favorite Co. Ltd.  1*
F-toys  9   
Funrise Toys  1   
Hayakawa Toys  3   
Ikimon/Kitan Club  22   
Imperial Toys  1*
Innovative Kids  1*
Insect Lore  5   
Jam  1   
K&M International  12   
Kabaya  7   
Kaiyodo/Furuta  81   
Koro Koro  1   
Land & Sea Collectibles  1   
Maia & Borges  1*
Maruka  1   
Mojo Fun  3   
Natural History  4   
NECA 1*
Noah's Pals  1   
Paleocasts  2   
Paleo-Creatures  3   
Papo  9   
Play Visions  17   
PNSO  3   
Qualia  1   
Rebor  1   
Re-Ment  1*
Safari Ltd.  56   
Schleich  5   
Science & Nature  3   
Sega  31   
ShanTrip  3   
Shine-G  3   
Skillcraft  2   
SO-TA/Toys Spirits  2   
Southlands Replicas  5   
Stasto 3D File  2   
Stewart Sales Services  1   
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S./Subarudo  19   
Toy Fish Factory/Replica Toy Fish  5   
Toy Major  4   
Trilobiti  1   
US Toy  2   
Vivid Toy Group  1   
Wild Kraatz  2   
Yell  3   
Yujin  21   
unknown  8

Anyway, we'll look at stats again after post 600!! Until then, enjoy the posts!

Isidro

Looks like you have a strong bias towards Kaiyodo - but is probably just that they have a very wide taxonomic collection, more than any other brand :)