Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

I know you consider a more than debatable (to say it in a polite way) taxonomic point of view for endless taxa, but this one goes beyonds that. Why Dicotyles?!?!?!?! Dicotyles labiatus is the old name that I learned first as the scientific name of the white-lipped peccary when it was considered a different genus than the collared peccary (Tayassu tajacu). Both names suffered a bit of changes (for example for some years the correct name for white-lipped seemed to be Tayassu pecari, instead the current T. albirostris), but they stabilished long years ago. If you want to unstabilish them and spilt the genus in two (what would be as wrong as vast majority of the spilting that are fashioned nowadays), then you should use Dicotyles for the white-lipped, not for the collared, and if you consider both as the same genus, then both would be Tayassu. I would like to read any explanation of the reason of your using Dicotyles for the collared peccary...

Gwangi

It has happened a couple times now where your featured figures in this thread almost lined up with blog reviews of the same figure. Weird how that happens. I know yours are picked at random.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on December 08, 2021, 09:00:43 PM
It has happened a couple times now where your featured figures in this thread almost lined up with blog reviews of the same figure. Weird how that happens. I know yours are picked at random.

I was thinking the same thing @Gwangi - I am not stalking you! hahahahaha  ;D

EpicRaptorMan

I got the same peccary whenever I saw the blog post of it.

bmathison1972

Species: Mogera imaizumii Koruda, 1936 (small Japanese mole)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Chocoegg Animatales Series 4
Year of Production: 2000
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding tail) 5.3 cm for a scale of 1:1-1:2
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: Being an original Chocoegg figure, some assembly is required.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan
Habitat: Alluvial fans and plains, mountains with appropriate soil, agricultural fields
Diet: Subterranean invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Mogera imaizumii makes permanent burrows, usually in hard soil at depths of 0-20 cm. In most locations, M. imaizumii is parapatrically separated from the related large Japanese mole (M. wogura). They do overlap in some places, such as in the Tedori Alluvial Fan, but tend to be separated based on soil preferences. Mogera imaizumii prefers harder soils while M. wogura prefers softer soils, although they are both usually found at the same depths.

bmathison1972

Species: Anatis halonis Lewis, 1896

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kitan Club
Series: Nature Techni Colour - Ladybird Collection
Year of Production: 2011
Size/Scale: Body length 1.7 cm for a scale of 2:1-1.7:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: There are 16 figures in this collection, eight of which are sold as magnets and eight as straps (I only got the magnets). A set of eight includes six species (with three color morphs of one of the species). All figures use the same sculpt and merely have different paint jobs.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan
Habitat: Montane forests
Diet: Soft-bodied insects
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: I had trouble researching much information on this species. It appears to be limited to higher elevations on mountains in Japan.

bmathison1972

Species: Megasoma elephas (Fabricius, 1775) (elephant beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King 'Shooters'
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding cephalic horn) 4.0 cm for an average scale of 1:2
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is our second look at M. elephas in the Museum. The term 'shooters' is my designation for figures from this peculiar set in the Mushi King line. The figures apparently came with a device to propel or shoot the figures (I bought mine from forum member Beetle guy without the device). The figures have a small, soft peg on the underside that I presume is used for attachment to the devices. These figures are actually very nice, and some are as nice or nicer than their 'small series, standard' counterparts! I don't know how many figures are in the original set, but I have seven.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Central America and northern South America
Habitat: Rainforests, plantations
Diet: Larvae feed on detritus in rotting logs and tree stumps, under bark, and in tree holes; adults feed on sap and overripe fruit
Miscellaneous Notes: Depending on the metrics used, M. elephas is one of the largest or bulkiest insects in the world. Males can reach nearly 13 centimeters (including the horn) and weigh 50-70 grams.

bmathison1972

Species: Hippotion scrofa (Boisduval, 1832) (scrofa moth; Coprosma hawk moth)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Cadbury
Series: Yowies Series 4
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Figure width 6.0 cm. Wingspan would calculate to 8.0 cm for a scale slightly larger than 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Like all of the original Cadbury Yowies, assembly is required. The wings are a painted and coated yet durable paper-like product.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu; occasional migrant to New Zealand
Habitat: Extremely variable, including deserts, rainforests, mountains, parks, and gardens
Diet: Larvae feed on a wide variety of plants; among the native host plants include members of the genera Epilobium (willowherbs), Persicaria (creeping knotweed), Asperula (woodruff), Coprosma, Galium (bedstraw), Hedyotis, Cayratia, and Cissus. Adults take nectar from a variety of flowers.
Miscellaneous Notes: Hippotion scrofa can have multiple generations a year, but it varies regionally and year to year based on local weather conditions. Eggs are typically laid in small clusters on the leaves or flower heads of the host plant. After about six days the eggs hatch and the larvae begin to feed. The length of time for larval development varies, but can be as short as 17 days in the summer. Pupation can last as short as 13 days in the summer or as long as 4-6 weeks in the fall; pupation can also last over winter. Adults fly from August to May except in higher mountain areas where it is strictly a summer species.

bmathison1972

Species: Macrocheira kaempferi (Temminck, 1836) (giant Japanese spider crab)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Epoch
Series: Earth Life Journey Crabs and Shrimp
Size/Scale: Carapace 2.3 cm wide for a scale of 1:17
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third time we've seen M. kaempferi in the Museum. Some assembly is required. There have been multiple releases (at least three, possibly four) of Epoch's Earth Life Journey Crabs and Shrimp collections, each with a slightly different species composition and often consisting of re-releases with different paint jobs. A set typically has 6 or 7 figures in it. In all there are 10 species (9 crustaceans and 1 xiphosuran). I have collected mine individually over the years so I am not entirely sure which of mine came from which release.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Northwest Pacific around Japan and Taiwan
Habitat: Benthic, usually at depths of 50-400 meters
Diet: Marine invertebrates and algae; also a scavenger
Miscellaneous Notes: Macrocheira kaempferi is the largest extant arthropod. It has a carapace of up to 40 cm in width, a legspan of up to 3.7 meters, and can weigh up to 19 kilograms.

bmathison1972

Species: Ficedula narcissina (Temminck, 1836) (narcissus flycatcher)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Chocoegg Animatales Series 1
Year of Production: 1999
Size/Scale: Figure height 4.3 cm. Body length approximately 5.5 cm for a scale of 1:2.5
Miscellaneous Notes: Being an original Chocoegg Animatales figure, some assembly is required. The original Chocoegg line features predominately Japanese animals, and this figure could easily represent one of two Japanese Ficedula species (see below).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan; occasional vagrants to Australia, Alaska
Habitat: Deciduous forests
Diet: Flying insects
Miscellaneous Notes: In 2016 it was proposed to separate the green-backed flycatcher (F. elisae) and the Ryukyu flycatcher (F. owstoni) from F. narcissina based on morphological criteria, analysis of mitochondrial DNA, and their vocalizations. Today's figure could represent either F. narcissina or F. owstoni, as both are endemic to Japan. However since the nominate population occurs throughout Japan, I see no need to change the original designation of the figure.

bmathison1972

Species: Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata (Motschulsky, 1866) (large brown cicada)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Figure Pictorial Book of Gakken Insect
Year of Production: 2003
Size/Scale: Figure height 6.0 cm. Body length of cicada 2.2 cm for a scale of about 1:1.4-1:2
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen G. nigrofuscata in the Museum. No assembly is required and from what I can tell, the insect is not removable from its base (I haven't tried for fear of damage).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of East Asia, including China, the Korean Peninsula, and Japan
Habitat: Variable, including forests, parks, gardens; requires trees and soil conditions to support nymphal development
Diet: Juices from subterranean tree roots
Miscellaneous Notes: Cicadas are known for their long subterranean development; Graptopsaltria nigrofuscata remains underground for six years before molting into an adult.

bmathison1972

Species: Cheirotonus jambar Kurosawa, 1984 (Yanbaru long-armed scarab)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Colorata
Series: Yanbaru Creatures
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Base 6.7 cm long. Body length (excluding appendages) 3.8 cm for a scale of 1:1.3-1:1.6
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The beetle is removable from its habitat-style base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan (Yanbaru Forest, Okinawa)
Habitat: Subtropical rainforest
Diet: Larvae breed in branches of living Quercus (oak) and Castanopsis (Itajii chinkapin); adults feed on sap flows
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Cheirotonus jambar was the first euchirine to have its life history described and illustrated. Larvae have a long developmental cycle, and spend 3-4 in host trees before pupating and becoming adults.

bmathison1972

Species: Bombina orientalis Boulenger, 1890 (Oriental fire-bellied toad)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Primary Colour Frogs Pictorial Book
Year of Production: 2002
Size/Scale: Body length 4.0 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare (possibly unique as a sculpt, see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Yujin released more than one collection of anurans. Several of the figures from the Primary Colour Frogs Pictorial Book, including today's, were produced by Play Visions and bear the PV logo, although they are stamped with the year 2002 (the original PV figures came out in 1996). I cannot tell from pics online if Play Visions just reused their 1996 sculpt for this figure or if they altered it slightly; the posture seems to be slightly different.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, including northeast China, Korean Peninsula, southern Japan (Tsushima, Kiushiu Islands), eastern Russia (Khabarovsk, Primorye regions)
Habitat: Wet and riparian areas in pine, spruce, and mixed forests, meadows, swampy brushland; water sources include lakes, ponds, swamps, streams, springs, puddles, ditches
Diet: Tadpoles feed on algae, fungi, detritus, plants, and protozoans; adults eat terrestrial invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: When confronted by a would-be predator, B. orientalis has a couple defense mechanisms. First, is to exhibit unkenreflex, whereby the toad flips on its back exposing the agressor to its bright red underside indicating that it is toxic to eat. In addition, the toad can exude a toxic milky-like substance through its skin.

Gwangi

Might be rare as a toy, but common in the pet trade. I have two of them.  :))

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on December 17, 2021, 04:21:42 PM
Might be rare as a toy, but common in the pet trade. I have two of them.  :))

I had them as a kid, @Gwangi - at any given time I had a terrarium with green anoles, green tree frogs, and Oriental fire bellies. Growing up in Arizona, green anoles were popular in terraria where they are not 'backyard' lizards LOL.

EpicRaptorMan

I used to catch anoles and keep them as pets. Kinda cruel looking back on it but as a kid I put in some effort maintaining them and they lived for a while.

bmathison1972

Species: Sasakia charonda (Hewitson, 1863) (great purple emperor; Japanese emperor)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Bugs Museum
Year of Production: 2000
Size/Scale: Base of box 4.5 cm x 4.0 cm. Wingspan 3.3 cm for a scale of 1:1.5-1:2.7 [see below]
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon to rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The Bugs Museum collection is a set of 6 insects that are displayed in little boxes, as if they were museum specimens (see inset). The insects, the base, and cover are all separate and removeable, so the insects can be displayed on or off the bases, with or without the plastic covers. Each has a small sticker with the Japanese name, sex, and (for the beetles) size. The stickers do not hold well and are best reinforced with glue. I had difficulty calculating a scale for this figure since online resources have quite a variable range in wingspan for this species. The scale above is based on extremes for the species. Sasakia charonda is sexually dimorphic and today's figure is painted as a male. Males are smaller than females, so this figure would probably scale on the lower end of the range (maybe 1:1.5-1:2).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia, Japan
Habitat: Broadleaf forests, usually in the upper canopies
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genus Celtis (hackberry); adults are attracted to overripe fruit and sap flows, especially of Quercus (oak)
Miscellaneous Notes: Males of S. charonda are highly territorial and will not only chase rival butterflies of the same species away, but also other butterflies and even small birds, such as sparrows!

bmathison1972

Species: Phronima sedentaria (Forsskål, 1775) (deep sea pram bug; parasitic hyperiid amphipod)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Ikimon
Series: Nature Techni Colour - Deep Sea Creatures 1
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Salp 4.0 cm tall. Body length about 4.0 cm for a scale of 1:1 for a female (which this figure appears to be)
Miscellaneous Notes: The amphipod sits loosely in its tunicate host and is safely removable (see inset).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Worldwide in temperate, tropical, and subtropical oceans
Habitat: Pelagic, at depths of 0-1100 meters
Diet: Zooplankton, krill, arrowworms, chaetognaths, and host tunicates and cnidarians
Miscellaneous Notes: Phronima sedentaria forms an interesting parasitic relationship with pelagic tunicates, such as Pyrosoma, Doliolum, and Salpa, and cnidarians such as Beroe. A female amphipod first colonizes the salp of a host tunicate or the body of a comb jelly. Once inside, she consumes the flesh of the host, leaving only the barrel-shaped tunic. The amphiopod uses the tunic for several purposes, including protection from predators when swimming around in open water, protection from ultraviolet light, and as a nursery for developing young. Juveniles spend their early development within a specialized pouch (marsupium) on the female amphipod. As the larvae get older, the mother moves them into the host tunic where they form a ring around the inside of the barrel. The developing amphipods feed on both the host tunic but also food delivered by the mother.

bmathison1972

Species: Allotopus rosenbergi (Snellen van Vollenvoven in Parry, 1872)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - Insect Kingdom
Size/Scale: Body length (including mandibles) 5.0 cm, within scale 1:1 (smaller end of the scale for a major male)
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the fourth time we've seen A. rosenbergi in the Museum; the species has become somewhat of a 'standard' among the Japanese companies. Figures in the Insect Kingdom collection come with a flat plastic base that holds a placard with biological information in Japanese and the beetle's Latin name (see inset). The figures sit loosely on the bases and the bases appear to interconnect, having the ability to form one large base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indonesia (Java)
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae breed in decaying wood; adults presumably feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: I had trouble researching information on this species. Allotopus rosenbergi is popular with collectors (and Japanese toy insect manufacturers) but not as common in terraria as larvae require wood infected with particular fungi.

bmathison1972

Species: Latrodectus hasselti Thorell, 1870 (redback spider; Australian black widow)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Science & Nature
Series: Animals of Australia - Small
Year of Production: 2005
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) 3.0 cm for a scale of 3:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: In 2016, Science & Nature would use this same sculpt for their katipo (L. katipo).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia; introduced and established in New Zealand, Southeast Asia, Japan
Habitat: Highly varied, with a preference for tropical and temperate habitats, especially in urban and suburban areas; webs are usually built in dry, sheltered areas such as in logs, rock piles, shrubs, trash piles, garages, sheds, outhouses
Diet: Primarily insects; occasionally other small animals that may get caught in their webs, including small mammals, birds, and reptiles
Miscellaneous Notes: Latrodectus hasselti is extremely well adapted to human habitations and is more common in urban and suburban areas than an its native habitat. As such, it has been introduced and is established throughout the region. Believed to be native to South Australia and parts of Western Australia, it now occurs throughout the country as well as New Zealand. It can be found in Southeast Asia as far west and north as India and has also been documented in Japan.