News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Started by bmathison1972, October 12, 2020, 02:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Species: Oryctes gigas Laporte de Castelnau, 1840

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Sega
Series: Mushi King - standard series, small
Year of Production: unknown
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 4.5 cm for a scale of 1:1.6 (see below)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures representing 65-75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The dates of release are currently unknown to me (c. 2008). The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the sets, please see the overview by forum member Beetle guy here. The only other figure of this species I am aware of is by DeAgostini for their World Insect Data Book collection.

I had difficulty finding a size range for this species; the scale above is based on 7.5 cm which, from what I can tell, is about the maximum length for a major male.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Equatorial Africa, Madagascar
Habitat: Rainforest
Diet: Larvae feed on humus, compost, and in sawdust piles; adults feed on the crown region of palms or possibly do not feed (see below)
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: From what I can tell there are two subspecies of O. gigas. The nominate subspecies O. g. gigas which occurs in equatorial mainland Africa and O. g. insulicola which occurs on Madagascar. I had difficulty researching biological information on this species and information above on the adult diet is based on other species in the genus. For example, the Asian species O. rhinoceros is a pest of oil palms in Southeast Asia and Pacific Islands, while the European O. nasicornis typically does not feed as an adult.

bmathison1972

Species: Alouatta pigra Lawrence, 1933
Common name(s): Yucatán black howler; Guatemalan black howler; Central American black howler

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Wild Safari Wildlife
Year of Production: 2017
Size/Scale: Body length (exclusive of tail) approximately 5.7 for a scale of 1:9.1-1:11.2
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure is only marketed as a howler monkey. For a while I had it databased in my collection as the black howler (A. caraya) but in evaluating the toy for this review, I have changed my identification. Males of both species are solid black, but A. pigra has pale grey to white genitalia (which this figure has) while A. caraya has reddish genitalia.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Yucatán Peninsula of Central America (Belize, Guatemala, southeastern Mexico)
Habitat: Tropical lowland, deciduous, semi-deciduous, and evergreen forests; arboreal in the middle to upper canopy
Diet: Primarily leaves; also fruits, buds, flowers, mosses, bark
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Alouatta pigra, like other howler monkeys, is known for its loud calls; howler monkeys are often regarded as the loudest animals. Both sexes can 'howl' but the males are much louder. The monkeys are able to howl due to an enlarged hyoid bone. There is an inverse relationship between the size of the hyoid bone and the size of a male's testes; the larger the hyoid bone (and louder the monkey), the smaller the testes, so despite having small testes, the louder male is still more likely to mate and establish territory.

bmathison1972

Species: Illeis koebelei Timberlake, 1943
Common name(s): yellow lady beetle

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Bandai
Series: Diversity of Life on Earth - Advanced Ladybugs
Year of Production: 2023
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 6.0 cm for a scale of 17.1:1-11.8:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Some assembly may be required (mine came assembled) and there are multiple points of articulation in the legs. There is also an option to display it with its elytra open, flying wings exposed, and on a base, but I chose not to display mine that way for space considerations.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East and Southeast Asia, Japan
Habitat: Woodlands, clearings, tree orchards, suburban and urban parks, gardens, and yards
Diet: Adults and larvae feed on powdery mildews (Sphaerotheca, Phyllactinia, Microsphaera, Golovinomyces, and possibly others)
Miscellaneous Notes: Members of the genus Illeis are biologically interesting compared to many other ladybugs. While most ladybugs are predaceous on other insects (a notable exception includes members of the subfamily Epilachninae which are phytophagous), members of the genus Illeis are mycophagous, specializing on powdery mildews which can be harmful to their host plants.

bmathison1972

Species: Mellisuga helenae (Lembeye, 1850)
Common name(s): bee hummingbird; zunzuncito; Helena hummingbird

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: SO-TA
Series: 1/1 Bee Hummingbirds
Year of Production: 2022
Size/Scale: Body length of both sexes approximately 7.0 cm for a scale of 1.2:1 for the female and 1.3:1 for the male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique (as a set)
Miscellaneous Notes: The resting figure is sculpted as a female while the flying figure is sculpted as a male. The set included four figures, each sex resting and each flying, but I only bought the resting female and flying male. All figures come with the option of a clear acrylic base (only seen here with the male), and the resting birds also come with a clear acrylic ring to be worn on the finger. Assembly is minimal (the flying figures require the wings to be attached). Both sexes are slightly larger than their advertised scale of 1:1.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Cuba
Habitat: Coastal and interior forests, mountain valleys, swamps, parks and gardens
Diet: Nectar; occasionally small insects and spiders
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Near Threatened
Miscellaneous Notes: With female birds measuring approximately 6.0 cm in length and weighing 2.6 grams, and males measuring approximately 5.5 cm and weighing about 1.95 grams, M. helenae is regarded as the world's smallest bird!

bmathison1972

Species: Metagoniochernes tomiyamai Sato, 1991

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Kaiyodo
Series: Capsule Q Museum - Tokyo
Year of Production: 2013
Size/Scale: Body length of both sexes approximately 3.8 cm for a scale of 7.9:1-6.8:1. Legspan of male approximately 8.5 cm.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique (as a pair)
Miscellaneous Notes: The figure with the longer pedipalps is the male; the figure with the shorter pedipalps is the female. Some assembly is required for both sexes. Other than vintage rubbery 'jiggler' toys (and similar that were probably influenced by the Creepy Crawly Thing Maker kit), these are the only figures of pseudoscorpions I am aware of, certainly the only by modern, well-known companies.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Japan; endemic to the Ogasawara (Bonin) Islands
Habitat: Distylium-Schima dry forests; usually on the trunks and leaf sheaths of the endemic screwpine, Pandanus boninensis.
Diet: Unknown; presumably small insects and mites
Miscellaneous Notes: Metagoniochernes tomiyamai was originally known to inhabit the Ogasawara Islands of Ototojima, Hahajima, Chichijima, and Anijima, but now is found mostly on Anijima. Pseudoscorpions are overall rather small arachnids. There are over 3,300 described species and at 4.8-5.6 mm in length, M. tomiyamai is one of the largest known pseudoscorpions in the world!

bmathison1972

Species: Rhaetulus didieri De Lisle, 1970

About the Figure:
Series: Mushi King - standard series, small
Size/Scale: Body length (including mandibles) approximately 5.5 cm for a scale of 1:1.5 for a major male
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen R. didieri in the Museum. The Sega 'small standard series' were 10 sets of 10 figures each, for a total of 100 figures representing 65-75 species of Lucanidae and dynastine Scarabaeidae. The dates of release are currently unknown to me (c. 2008). The figures were produced in conjunction with Bandai and came with Pokemon-style playing cards. At the time of this writing, I think I have all but two of the species. For a review of the sets, please see the overview by forum member Beetle guy here.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Malaysia
Habitat: Tropical broadleaf forests
Diet: Larvae feed in rotting wood; adults presumably feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: I had difficulty researching biological information about this species. Adults apparently are found among recently felled or uprooted trees (presumably where oviposition takes place) in dense montane forests above 750 meters.

bmathison1972

Species: Atrax robustus Cambridge, 1877
Common name(s): Sydney funnelweb spider

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: K&M International
Series: Australia's Deadliest Nature Tube
Year of Production: 2018
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 3.2 cm, within scale 1:1 for a female
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the third time we've seen A. robustus in the Museum. This is probably one of the weaker versions of this species. It has the inherent features of a mygalomorph spider but has only two eyes. Better versions in and around the 1:1 scale range include those by Science and Nature (2005) and Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2010).

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Australia (Sydney Region in New South Wales)
Habitat: Gullies, forests, gardens, compost heaps; usually in moist microhabitats, such as in soil and under rocks and logs
Diet: Invertebrates; occasionally small vertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Atrax robustus is considered the most venomous spider in the world. The toxin present in its venom is delta atrocotoxin, also known as δ-ACTX-Ar1, robustoxin, or robustotoxin. It is a neurotoxin and acts by slowing the inactivation of sodium ion channels in autonomic and motor neurons.

bmathison1972

Species: Aglais urticae (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): small tortoiseshell

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: CollectA
Series: Little Wonders
Year of Production: 2010
Size/Scale: Wingspan approximately 7.0 cm for a scale of 1.5:1-1.1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the second time we've seen A. urticae in the Museum. The smaller figure in the image is the miniature counterpart of the larger figure; it was released in 2020 as part of the Mini Insects and Spiders collection. All of the figures in the mini collection are simply smaller versions of the standard-sized CollectA figures. The small figure has a wingspan of approximately 4.1 cm for a scale of 1:1.1-1:1.5. Interesting that the large figure is slightly over 1:1 for a large specimen and the smaller figure is slightly under 1:1 for a small specimen, so either might work for collectors of 1:1 models. And if anyone is curious, both figures have six functional ('walking') legs, inaccurate for members of the family Nymphalidae.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Widespread in Eurasia; rare vagrants to northeastern North America
Habitat: Fields, meadows, roadsides, parks and gardens
Diet: Larvae feed on plants in the genera Urtica (nettles) and Humulus (hops); adults feed on nectar from flowers
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern (Europe and Mediterranean, only)
Miscellaneous Notes: Aglais urticae hibernates as an adult butterfly. The butterfly can tolerate temperatures down to −29 °C in natural shelters above the snow cover; however, they can tolerate temperatures below −30 °C when wintering in shelters under the snow and away from the cold air.

bmathison1972

Species: Leiurus quinquestriatus (Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1829)
Common name(s): deathstalker; Palestine yellow scorpion; Omdurman scorpion; Naqab desert scorpion

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.
Series: Scorpions
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 6.0 cm for a scale of 1:1.3-1:1.8
Miscellaneous Notes: Figures in this collection come with an amber acrylic base (see inset) with the Latin and Japanese names and the degree of toxicity on a 1-5 scale using skulls-and-crossbones.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North Africa, Arabian Peninsula, Middle East, and Asia Minor to Central Asia (Kazakhstan and western India)
Habitat: Deserts, scrubland
Diet: Small insects, arachnids, and other terrestrial invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: Leiurus quinquestriatus is one of the most venomous scorpions to humans, especially for the very young, elderly, immunocompromised, and those with heart conditions. Interestingly, however, one of the components of L. quinquestriatus venom, the peptide chlorotoxin, has shown some potential as an agent to help treat brain tumors.

bmathison1972

Species: Aythya fuligula (Linnaeus, 1758)
Common name(s): tufted duck; tufted pochard

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Maia & Borges
Series: Water and Lake Birds
Year of Production: 2012
Size/Scale: Scale difficult to calculate, but measured along midline, body length approximately 9.3 cm for a scale of 1:4.4-1:4.9 for a male (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Kaiyodo also produced this species for their Choco Q Animatales line. Aythya fuligula is sexually dimorphic and this figure was modeled after a male specimen.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Widespread in Eurasia, wintering in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and Southeast Asia; rare vagrant to North America
Habitat: During the breeding season, mostly in shallow lakes with thick vegetation; during the winter, mostly in larger open bodies of water such as marshes, lakes, estuaries, man-made ponds
Diet: Primarily freshwater mollusks; also other freshwater invertebrates and plant material
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern [Global]; Near Threatened [Europe]
Miscellaneous Notes: The tufted duck often flocks with other Aythya species, including the lesser scaup (A. affinis), greater scaup (A. marila), ferruginous duck (A. nyroca), and common pochard (A. ferina).

Gwangi

I've seen one of these in New York.  ;D

bmathison1972

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 24, 2023, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 24, 2023, 02:02:53 PMI've seen one of these in New York.  ;D

Oh wow, that's a great record!!!

Indeed! It wasn't even along the coast, it was at one of the Finger Lakes where I used to live, far inland but not too far from the Great Lakes. Got pictures of it too.

bmathison1972

Species: Argonauta hians Lightfoot, 1786
Common name(s): winged argonaut; brown paper nautilus

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Agatsuma Entertainment
Series: Amazing Creatures
Size/Scale: Shell length approximately 4.3 cm for a scale of 1:1.9-1:2.8 for a large female specimen (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: Figures in this set came with a base (see inset). Unfortunately, the plastic rod snapped flush in the body of my figure, so I can't display it on its base anymore. Argonauta hians is sexually dimorphic and this figure was modeled after a female. Kaiyodo also made this species for their Kurosio Komekko Series.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Worldwide in tropical, subtropical, and boreal seas and oceans
Habitat: Pelagic, at depths of 0-1,280 meters
Diet: Primarily pelagic mollusks, but also other pelagic invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: Argonauta hians has been known to attach itself to pelagic jellyfish. The reasons for this behavior are not entirely understood, but its been suggested the nautilus uses the jellyfish for cover and defense against would-be predators or possibly as a hunting platform for getting closer to its own prey.

P.S...four of the last five posts are animals whose Latin names start with the letter 'A'; gotta love randomness!!

bmathison1972

Species: Pulchriphyllium giganteum (Hausleithner, 1984)
Common name(s): giant Malaysian leaf insect

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Smithsonian Insects
Year of Production: 1997
Size/Scale: Body length (excluding appendages) approximately 14.0 cm for a scale of 1.4:1-1.3:1 for a large female specimen (see below)
Miscellaneous Notes: This was probably the first figure of this species by a major established company; it is one of four in my collection (the others are by DeAgostini, Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., and Furuta). Pulchriphyllium giganteum is sexually dimorphic and this figure was modeled after a female specimen.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia (Peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, Borneo, Java)
Habitat: Tropical rainforest
Diet: Folivorous. I had trouble researching natural host plants. Several online resources mention Rubus (bramble), Quercus (oak), Rosa (rose), Pyrus (Indian wild pear), and Psidium (guava), but I think these are recommendations for feeding live specimens in captivity and not the animal's natural diet in the wild.
Miscellaneous Notes: In 2021, Pulchriphyllium was elevated from subgenus to genus-level rank based on the presence of lobes on both the inner and outer margins of the foretibiae. Phylogenetic analyses show Pulchriphyllium as a distinct clade that, along with Cryptophyllium and Microphyllium, split from Phyllium approximately 48-35 mya.

bmathison1972

Species: Rhyothemis fuliginosa Selys, 1883
Common name(s): butterfly dragonfly; butterfly skimmer

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Insects of Japan Series 2
Year of Production: 2006
Size/Scale: Total figure height approximately 8.7 cm. Wingspan approximately 7.0 cm. Using hind wing length as a metric (n=3.2 cm), within scale 1:1
Miscellaneous Notes: Assembly is required. Figures in the Insects of Japan series are believed to be cast from actual specimens are are therefore all in the 1:1 scale range. To my knowledge, this figure was unique for this species until just last year (2022) when Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. produced one!

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Asia (China, Korean Peninsula, Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan)
Habitat: Freshwater marshes, lakes, artificial ponds, aquaculture ponds
Diet: Nymphs feed on freshwater insects, crustaceans, tadpoles; adults feed on flying insects, especially mosquitoes
Miscellaneous Notes: While R. fuliginosa, like all dragonflies, breeds in aquatic environments, adults will often fly great distances away from water for food, and may be found in grasslands and hilly and mountainous areas. Adults will often venture into forests to rest overnight in the canopy.

bmathison1972

Species: Polistes dominula (Christ, 1791)
Common name(s): European paper wasp

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Blip Toys
Series: Nature's Wonders HD
Year of Production: 2008
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 7.2 cm. Using forewing length as a metric (n=5.0 cm), scale comes to 5.3:1-3.8:1 for a male specimen or 5.9:1-4.2:1 for a female specimen
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was not marketed at the species level and the identification is community-based (I think first proposed by brontodocus) and I concur. The only thing going against the ID is that the antennae of P. dominula should be yellow.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Europe, North Africa, temperate Asia east to China; naturalized in North America, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (Chile, Argentina)
Habitat: Woodlands, chaparral, grasslands, agricultural areas, urban and suburban parks and gardens
Diet: Larvae feed on chewed-up insects provided by adults; P. dominula has a rather broad diet and will hunt insects of multiple orders, unlike many other Polistes species that use only lepidopteran larvae. Adults feed on nectar and other sugary liquids.
Miscellaneous Notes: Polistes dominula has established itself in other parts of the world, including North America, Australia, New Zealand, and Chile and Argentina in South America. There are several biological traits which makes it well-adapted for survival in a new location. One is the aforementioned generalist diet. It is also highly adaptable to new environments and habitats and has a short developmental cycle and can reproduce faster than native species where it's become established.

Today was also the 400th insect! Insects (and arthropods in general) have been statistically underperforming based on their prevalence in my collection. I think August was the first month since January that the majority of posts in a month were arthropods (and statistcally, in a 30-day month, there should be 16-17 arthropods and 10 should be insects). So far they are doing well in September, however. Below are stats for the insects based on order. The number in parenthesis is where the data was at 300!

Coleoptera (beetles): 211 (163)
Lepidoptera (butterflies, moths): 101 (77)
Hymenoptera (bees, ants, wasps): 31 (18)
Orthoptera (grasshoppers, crickets): 16 (11)
Hemiptera (true bugs & kin): 13 (10)
Mantodea (mantids): 6 (6)
Odonata (dragonflies, damselflies): 6 (4)
Blattodea (cockroaches, termites): 3 (3)
Siphonaptera (fleas): 3 (2)
Diptera (flies): 2 (2)
Psocodea (lice): 2 (1)
Neuroptera (lacewings & kin): 2 (1)
Phasmida (leaf, stick insects): 2 (0)
Meganisoptera (griffinflies): 1 (1)
Dermaptera (earwigs): 1 (1)

bmathison1972

Species: Chalcosoma chiron (Olivier, 1789)
Common name(s): Caucasus beetle

About the Figure:
Series: Mushi King- small series, DX
Size/Scale: Body length (including cephalic horn) approximately 6.3 cm for a scale of 1:1.4-1:2 (closer to 1:2 for a large major male)
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is the fifth time we've seen C. chiron in the Museum. Most figures of C. chiron are sold under its synonym, C. caucasus.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia)
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed in decaying wood and detritus; adults feed on tree sap
Miscellaneous Notes: There are at least four subspecies of C. chiron: the nominate C. c. chiron occurs in Java, C. c. belangeri occurs in Thailand, Vietnam, and Langkawi, C. c. kirbyi occurs in West Malaysia, and C. c. janssensi occurs in Sumatra.

bmathison1972

Species: Erinaceus europaeus Linnaeus, 1758
Common name(s): European hedgehog; common hedgehog

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Schleich
Series: Wild Life Europe
Year of Production: 2014
Size/Scale: Head-and-body length approximately 4.0 cm for a scale of 1:3.4-1:6.6
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: The leaves are permanently affixed as part of a base. European hedgehogs by major Western companies that do not have a base include those by Bullyland (1998), CollectA (2006, 2011), Mojö Fun (2011), and a K&M International tube figure (2006), among others of tentative ID. If one didn't want a base, I would recommend the 2011 CollectA version.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Europe; naturalized in New Zealand
Habitat: Woodlands, grasslands, meadows, hedgerows, arable land, orchards, vineyards, parks and gardens
Diet: Primarily terrestrial invertebrates; occasionally eggs, small rodents, reptiles, frogs, carrion
Miscellaneous Notes: As days shorten in the fall, Erinaceus europaeus begins looking for sufficiently insulated hibernation nests (hibernacula). In colder areas, hibernation usually begins in October and lasts until April; in warmer areas, hedgehogs may only hibernate during the coldest of winters. Hedgehogs survive the cold temperatures by storing fat to be used as insulation and as an energy reserve to wake up when necessary. Periodic breaks in hibernation can occur every 1 to 2 weeks and last for 1 to 2 days, during which the hedgehogs forage for food and urinate.

bmathison1972

Species: Parahucho perryi (Brevoort, 1856)
Common name(s): Sakhalin taimen; Japanese huchen; itoyo

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Freshwater Fish Pictorial Book 1
Size/Scale: Body length approximately 8.0 cm for a scale of 1:6.3-1:25
Miscellaneous Notes: Figures in the Freshwater Fish Pictorial Book collection were released more than once. I am not certain, but I think my figures are from the first release (they look different from sbell's walkarounds which represent the second release). Some assembly is required and the fish is removable from its base. This species was also made by Colorata and Kaiyodo.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: East Russia (Kuril Islands, Sakhalin Island, Krai, Khabarovsk), Japan (Hokkaido)
Habitat: Freshwater lakes and large rivers; some populations anadromous
Diet: Young fish feed on aquatic insects and other invertebrates; adults are predators of other fish
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Critically Endangered
Miscellaneous Notes: Parahucho perryi is currently listed as Critically Endangered by the IUCN (last assessed January, 2006). Major threats to its populations are habitat destruction for agriculture, urbanization, and gas and oil development. Illegal poaching is also a problem, especially in Russia. In Japan, the fish is bred for for game-fishing at specific managed sites so as not to further harm native populations.