Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Play Visions, Wing Mau (=XX), and Club Earth

Started by dinocat62, January 14, 2013, 04:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Quote from: LorenzoItaly on October 06, 2013, 07:50:15 PM
Hi, i'm new in this forum. Can someone tell me where I can find Play Visions figures ? I'd like to have tropical fish, parrots and cockatoos !
Hi Lorenzo and welcome to the Animal Toy Forum! :)
It depends on where you are located (I assume Italy?). As far as I know they are all out of production. :-\ I know one or two sellers in the U.S. who still have some PV figures but at least one of them (veghead) doesn't ship internationally. It was quite difficult for me, too, to acquire the few sets I have (I live in Germany). Ten years back, long before I started my collection, they were available in many stores but today ebay might be your best chance.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on October 07, 2013, 06:22:30 PM
Hi, i'm new in this forum. Can someone tell me where I can find Play Visions figures ? I'd like to have tropical fish, parrots and cockatoos !
It depends on where you are located (I assume Italy?). As far as I know they are all out of production. :-\ I know one or two sellers in the U.S. who still have some PV figures but at least one of them (veghead) doesn't ship internationally. It was quite difficult for me, too, to acquire the few sets I have (I live in Germany). Ten years back, long before I started my collection, they were available in many stores but today ebay might be your best chance.

That's pretty much it--sometimes they show up in random auction lots as well. But the prime time for PV figures was about 1993-2000. After that they gave up because of bootlegging and a more-crowded market.

LorenzoItaly

Thank you, do the stores that you know sell on the Internet ?

treyoracle

Quote from: dinocat62 on January 30, 2013, 02:48:40 AM
PV insects

Golden Northern Bumble Bee
Sandhill Hornet
Thorn Bug
Madagascar Cockroach (KM)
Regent Green Metallic Bee
Velvet Ant
Tarantula Hawk
Assassin Bug
Bush Cricket
Grasshopper
Praying Mantis
Centipede (Safari)

I have been looking for the velvet ant forever!

sbell

Quote from: LorenzoItaly on October 09, 2013, 09:19:58 PM
Thank you, do the stores that you know sell on the Internet ?

That probably won't help you now--all but a few of the less interesting PV sets (dogs, cats, their terrible dino set) are not available anymore, and it's usually only by chance that we ever find even a few anywhere, be it in an auction or a lot of toys in a store.

PteraspisEMMA

Hi, I never really log into the forum much anymore, but I recommend VegHead.com. They have the tropical fish and birds that you want. I have both those sets. The animals on that site are never used which is also nice. I have assumed you are from Italy. If you desperately want to get some PV from VegHead, I recommend finding an American friend whom you can ship them to, and they can then ship them to you. Tapir and Friends animal store also sells a few, and they sell internationally, though they have little left. I got a bulk of my Play Visions from friends on STS Forum, a Deutsch forum. They have a lot a Play Visons on that forum and I was able to get a clown triggerfish, Galapagos parrot fish, and a clown fish from PV at their trades and sales threads. If this forum has something like that, then check it out. Another recommendation, which doesn't always work out, is to post a "search list". I also lastly recommend you look closely at eBay lots, a lot of unknowing sellers post their PV under a lot. I hope I helped.
More about the eBay lots, I got 3 of my first PV fish from a cheap lot. I found about 25% of my K&M fish from eBay lots. If you can, ask for your wanted figures to get separately so you don't have to buy the whole chunk.
Something as a fish collector I realized is, more than 50% of the animals I will buy won't be fresh and new. So keep and mind, that PV is a older brand. Older than I. So not all the figures will come in the absolute best condition. A lot of the lots on eBay I find are from parents selling their kids's old toys. So expect chewed up or scratched figures. I was lucky to get nice Play Visions. Keep in mind you can restore any badly damaged figures too. Another tip is to visit a flea market.

Quagga

Got a play vision crassy pre Dino?
Neh!! Neh!! Neh!!

widukind

Quagga

Neh!! Neh!! Neh!!

froggie

Quote from: dinocat62 on January 30, 2013, 01:35:05 AM
PV primates

Japanese Macaques ((KM)
Langur
Celebes Macaque
Howler Monkey
Colobus
Squirrel Monkey (Safari)
White-throated Capuchin (KM)
White-faced Saki
Proboscis Monkey
Lion-tailed Macaque
Bald Uakari
Gibbon (KM)
Verreaux's Sifaka
Wooly Monkey (Safari)
White-girdled Ruffed Lemur
Diana Monkey
Aye Aye
Sifaka (KM)
Ruffed Lemur (KM)
Potto

Hello, I'm new to this forum (at least as a member, have sneaked in as guest for some time). I especially love this wonderful thread - congrats dinocat to this breathtaking collection! Now I've just realized one point I always missed yet: on the monkey picture there is a colobus top right and if I understand the text right it is a PV monkey? Is this really so? I never have seen it classed with any of the known series like monkeys or regional park sets. Now I am wondering if it is from the same - unknown to me - series that might contain forest buffalo, aardvark and pangoline?
Could you confirm it is a Play Visions animal (if yes, from which year? 1999?)

brontodocus

Quote from: froggie on December 14, 2014, 10:14:27 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum (at least as a member, have sneaked in as guest for some time). I especially love this wonderful thread - congrats dinocat to this breathtaking collection! Now I've just realized one point I always missed yet: on the monkey picture there is a colobus top right and if I understand the text right it is a PV monkey? Is this really so? I never have seen it classed with any of the known series like monkeys or regional park sets. Now I am wondering if it is from the same - unknown to me - series that might contain forest buffalo, aardvark and pangoline?
Could you confirm it is a Play Visions animal (if yes, from which year? 1999?)
Hi froggie, while I don't have the PV monkeys I recall having seen one offered on ebay as PV Colobus monkey a while ago. I hope some other members who have the figure can confirm this? Oh, and welcome to the Animal Toy Forum, froggie! :)

froggie

thanks for fast reply - oh I wish I had seen this one on ebay (and on my shelf then afterwards...  ;) )

sbell

Quote from: froggie on December 14, 2014, 11:19:32 AM
thanks for fast reply - oh I wish I had seen this one on ebay (and on my shelf then afterwards...  ;) )

It looks more like a K&M International figure in that photo. Not all of the ones in there are PV (the gibbon, ruffed lemur, sifaka and upper pair of Japanese macaques are others).

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 14, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
It looks more like a K&M International figure in that photo. Not all of the ones in there are PV (the gibbon, ruffed lemur, sifaka and upper pair of Japanese macaques are others).
Now that you mention it I'm not so sure anymore if it wasn't actually offered as a K&M Colobus monkey instead... :-[ I mean K&M instead of PV.

froggie

The K&M Colobus I know looks different (it's the Guereza Colobus from the monkey tube) - but maybe they have more than one model

sbell

Quote from: froggie on December 14, 2014, 05:17:18 PM
The K&M Colobus I know looks different (it's the Guereza Colobus from the monkey tube) - but maybe they have more than one model

I was looking at the wrong one!

I had the PV set, and many others, at one time but not anymore. And it was before I had a database and pictures of everything so I can't remember what I had.

stargatedalek

PV nudibranch, presumably the complete set but I don't know.

dinocat62

More XX beetles:

Adalia bipunctata - Two Spotted Ladybug
Adalia bipunctata -Two Spotted Ladybug
Coccinella novemnota - Nine Spotted Ladybug
Cassida viridis - Green Tortoise Beetle
Leptinotarsa decimlineata - Colorado Potato Beetle
Continus nitida - June Bug
Chrysochus auratus - Dogbane Beetle
Calosoma scrutator - Fiery Searcher
Strangalia (Ruptela) maculata - Spotted Longhorn
Cicindela campestris - Green Tiger Beetle
Pyrochroa coccinea - Cardinal Beetle
Arolia moschata - Musk Beetle
Phosphorus jansoni - Black Longhorn

bmathison1972

Holy cow, I have a ton of the XX beetles and I am missing MOST of those just posted! Now, these were clearly influenced by the aforementioned Beetles poster (which sits to my left now and is no longer available); all those species are on that poster.
[oh I do have knock-offs of the Cicindela and Cotinis).
A lot of 'unique' species here (i.e. not otherwise made in toy form)

dinocat62

I have all of the ones you posted. That's 24. That may be all of them.