News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Nanuq's collection

Started by Nanuq, March 25, 2020, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuq

Hey everyone! Like many other people on this planet, I'm kinda stuck indoors for a while. Now that I have a lot of free time in my hands, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to finally show you my collection! Most of it are pretty old Schleichs, which I got when I started collecting quite a few years ago, but there are some newer figurines and other brands mixed in too. For years Schleich was pretty much the only brand available for me here in The Netherlands, but since a while it's getting easier to get Papo, Safari and CollectA online too.

There's a small chance you might have seen my dinosaur toy collection on the DTF too (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4451.0). I try to keep a balance between collecting prehistoric and modern animals, as I like both equally.

My collection is divided per continent, but there are a few exceptions. The Arctic and Antarctic share a shelf with the oceanic and coastal animals. Africa gets two shelves, because with so much biodiversity it would get too crowded on just one shelf. Enjoy! :D

Oceans, arctic and antarctic:

North America:

South and Central America:

Europe:

Africa (1):

Africa (2):

Asia:

Australia:

Farm animals and pets:

Advicot

Really nice collection  :D, you can check mine out on the topic My Wild and Domestic Collection, the photos are only from November 2019.  It also seems you have the same shelves as me  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

AnimalToyForum

Nice and neatly arranged collection! :)  Having your animals arranged (mostly) by continent makes your shelves look a bit like miniature dioramas.

Avian

I see that Safari Giant Sloth photobombing your Arctic animals!  ;D
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Nanuq

Quote from: MammothProductions on March 26, 2020, 03:23:02 PM
I see that Safari Giant Sloth photobombing your Arctic animals!  ;D

Haha yes, and if you look closely, the rear end of a Smilodon too :P I couldn't really crop them out without deleting the arctic wolf.

Nanuq

It's been a while since I posted my collection here. Finally bought some new additions for the first time since February (I think). Now that CollectA is more widely available on Dutch webshops, I decided to get a bunch of those. And since they seem to do ungulates best, I picked some of those!

bmathison1972

Nice Nanuq, and welcome back!

Isidro

Really nice additions! I have them all except the waterbuck - and this means that they have a very fine quality, for be included as the best of each species available in the trade! The African wild ass was indeed one of the key figures that leaded me to start collecting more seriously, because I was amazed by its enormous quality on details (the fur inside the ears, the fur ridges in the neck, the veins on face and belly). Ah, and of course I have this Baird's tapir with the true colours, not with a Malayan tapir disguise :P

Nanuq

Well, it's been quite a while since I've last posted anything here on the Animal Toy Forum, but I haven't stopped collecting in the meantime of course! :D In fact my collection has expanded a fair amount since I last showed it here. I even needed to split Asia in two and start using my reserve shelf. So it's time for an update! The only shelf I didn't get any new additions for is one with the farm animals/pets, so it won't be included in this update.

Oceans, arctic and antarctic

North America

Central America and South America

Europe

Africa (1)

Africa (2)

Asia (1)

Asia (2)

Oceania

bmathison1972

Welcome back @Nanuq - your collection is looking good; nice representatives of the species/breeds you have here!

callmejoe3

@Nanuq

Very cool collection, I notice you have the calves of the humpback, sperm, and gray whale from Schleich's 1:32 Seetiere line. Those are very rare. I also see the Indian elephant set that I just reviewed on the blog, though your calf seems to be in much better condition XD.

I believe we also have the same Schleich musk ox.

Nanuq

Quote from: callmejoe3 on June 09, 2021, 03:12:25 PM
@Nanuq

Very cool collection, I notice you have the calves of the humpback, sperm, and gray whale from Schleich's 1:32 Seetiere line. Those are very rare. I also see the Indian elephant set that I just reviewed on the blog, though your calf seems to be in much better condition XD.

Yes, I got the whale calves ages ago when I was a kid, but never got around to buying their adult versions as they were too expensive for me back then. I wasn't aware they were considered rare nowadays! Kinda makes me regret not buying the adult whales haha! Those are probably even more expensive by now I assume?

callmejoe3

Quote from: Nanuq on June 09, 2021, 05:26:20 PM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on June 09, 2021, 03:12:25 PM
@Nanuq

Yes, I got the whale calves ages ago when I was a kid, but never got around to buying their adult versions as they were too expensive for me back then. I wasn't aware they were considered rare nowadays! Kinda makes me regret not buying the adult whales haha! Those are probably even more expensive by now I assume?

Well, yes and no

Schleich outsourced those figures from Maia and Borges and are still in production. Currently, Mojo fun is selling those figures right now. They all look mostly the same, except the sperm whale is a light gray. I would recommend those if you want to 'Complete' the set.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Nanuq on June 09, 2021, 05:26:20 PM

Actually in fact @Nanuq , if you ever want to make a contribution to the blog, it'd be of great help if you want to submit a guest review of those calves individually or as a set. Those figures are very rare and it would awesome if they're documented.

Nanuq

Quote from: callmejoe3 on June 09, 2021, 06:20:52 PM
Well, yes and no

Schleich outsourced those figures from Maia and Borges and are still in production. Currently, Mojo fun is selling those figures right now. They all look mostly the same, except the sperm whale is a light gray. I would recommend those if you want to 'Complete' the set.

Oh I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the tip! :D I'll see if I can find the Mojo versions someday soon. Just having the calves without parents in a collection just doesn't feel right anyway. Are the Mojo produced figures of the adult whales the same size as the old Schleich ones?

QuoteActually in fact @Nanuq , if you ever want to make a contribution to the blog, it'd be of great help if you want to submit a guest review of those calves individually or as a set. Those figures are very rare and it would awesome if they're documented.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience writing reviews, so I don't know if I'd be any good at it, but I'll consider it for sure! :) I have quite a few old Schleichs in my collection, and I have no idea if any of them are rare and still need reviewing, so if you have spotted any others I'd love to know!

bmathison1972

@Nanuq - blog reviews are essentially glorified walkarounds. You can be as detailed or as simple as you want. If you are covering a species we have already discussed at some point, we can easily link to the latter post for any information on biology, distribution, etc.

If you are interested, and I'd love it if you were, send images and text to: [email protected]  ^-^

callmejoe3

Quote from: Nanuq on June 09, 2021, 06:41:59 PM

Oh I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the tip! :D I'll see if I can find the Mojo versions someday soon. Just having the calves without parents in a collection just doesn't feel right anyway. Are the Mojo produced figures of the adult whales the same size as the old Schleich ones?

I'm afraid I don't have any experience writing reviews, so I don't know if I'd be any good at it, but I'll consider it for sure! :) I have quite a few old Schleichs in my collection, and I have no idea if any of them are rare and still need reviewing, so if you have spotted any others I'd love to know!

Yes, I can confirm they are the same size. I own both the Schleich and Mojo versions of all 3 adults. They're the exact same sculpts, but with different paintjobs. Generally, the Mojo ones have more species-accurate painjobs. I did reviews for all 3 figures and their different versions on the animal toy blog

Here are some links to the reviews

http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2020/11/15/gray-whale-maia-borges-schleich-mojo-fun-unknown-company/

http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2020/09/10/sperm-whale-maia-borges-mojo-fun-papo-schleich/

http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2020/11/23/humpback-whale-maia-borges-schleich-mojo-fun/