Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fun Animal Toy Blog Stats

Started by bmathison1972, December 25, 2019, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirenia

Love seeing these stats back!! Hoping to change it up soon!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sirenia on May 29, 2021, 10:38:18 PM
Love seeing these stats back!! Hoping to change it up soon!

I'll be adding the first echinoderm next week, unless someone beats me to it (group, not figure lol)

bmathison1972

Not doing an official stats update here, but something different. I looked to see how many species have at least three reviews. Not included here is the Sulawesi babirusa, where one review covered three figures. These numbers are based on reviews, not figures. Also, the numbers are based on species, and a given species can include multiple subspecies or domestic breeds. The data includes everything up to and including today's post on the Mega Sofubi blue whale.

Ten reviews:
great white shark
grey wolf [includes dingo and domestic dogs]

Eight reviews:
American alligator
Komodo dragon

Seven reviews:
whale shark

Five reviews:
blue whale
tiger
tiger shark

Four reviews:
Asian elephant
common octopus
domestic cattle
domestic horse
gray whale
green sea turtle
humpback whale
platypus
praying mantis
sperm whale
spotted hyena

Three reviews:
African lion
American bison
caribou (reindeer)
common hippopotamus
giant deep-sea isopod
eastern tiger swallowtail
killer whale
monarch
orange-barred sulfur
red kangaroo
reef manta ray
seven-spotted lady beetle
walrus
white rhinoceros
wild boar (incl. domestic pig)

sirenia

Do like this, nice to see what's what in terms of what animals have been reviewed multiple times. Would love to see more over time.

bmathison1972

Time for a long overdue STATs update.

First, major taxonomic groups. Remember, a post can have more than one major group:

Next, companies and manufacturers; again, keeping in mind a post can have more than one!

Other 'A' are companies with only two:
Aurora World, Club Earth, COG Ltd., F-toys, Fujimi Mokei, Giant Microbes, Kitan Club/Ikimon, Playmobil, PNSO/Yiniao, Trendmasters, Toy Major

Other 'B' are companies with only one:
3B Scientific, Battat, Beauty of the Beasts, Bestiari, Break C. Ltd., Breyer, Britains, Burger King, CBIOV, Chap Mei, Chick-Fil-A Properties, Inc., Discovery Science, Eastern Unlimited, Inc., Egmont Ehapa Publishing Company, Epoch/Tarlin, Folkmanis, Funko, Funrise Toys, Ganz, Innovative Kids, Insect Lore, Invicta, J. Dream Co. Ltd., Jam, Johan Scherft, Kid Galaxy, NaturimBild.at, Nayab, The Petting Zoo, Rebor, Rhode Island Novelty, Ricolino, Science & Nature, SO-TA/Toys Spirits, Starlux, Stewart Sale Services, Target Brands, Tchibo, Wade Ceramics, Wildlife Artists, Inc., Wing Mau, Wolff Marketing Group, Inc., WowWee

Finally, here are the most represented species (minimum of three reviews):

Eleven reviews
gray wolf [includes dingo and domestic dogs]

Ten reviews:
great white shark

Eight reviews:
American alligator
Komodo dragon

Seven reviews:
whale shark

Six reviews:
tiger

Five reviews:
blue whale
domestic horse [E. ferus complex]
platypus
tiger shark

Four reviews:
Asian elephant
common octopus
domestic cattle
gray whale
green sea turtle
humpback whale
praying mantis
red kangaroo
sperm whale
spotted hyena

Three reviews:
African lion
American bison
basking shark
caribou (reindeer)
common hippopotamus
giant deep-sea isopod
killer whale
monarch
orange-barred sulfur
reef manta ray
southern black widow
walrus
western honey bee
white rhinoceros

sirenia

Always love seeing how we are doing like this. Looking to give Yowie and birds a boost soon.

bmathison1972

Not a 'formal' stats update, but the monstrous PNSO blue whale review by @callmejoe3 was the sixth blue whale. How do other species compare with a minimum of three reviews? Let's take a look!

Eleven reviews

Ten reviews:
great white shark

Eight reviews:
American alligator
Komodo dragon

Seven reviews:
whale shark

Six reviews:
blue whale
tiger

Five reviews:
caribou (reindeer)
domestic cattle [B. taurus complex]
platypus
tiger shark

Four reviews:
Asian elephant
common octopus
gray whale
green sea turtle
humpback whale
praying mantis
red kangaroo
sperm whale
spotted hyena
turkey

Three reviews:
African lion
American bison
basking shark
common bottlenose dolphin
common hippopotamus
emperor scorpion
giant deep-sea isopod
giant squid
great hammerhead shark
Japanese giant mantis
Japanese rhinoceros beetle
killer whale
leopard seal
monarch
orange-barred sulfur
reef manta ray
southern black widow
walrus
western honey bee
white rhinoceros
zebra shark

callmejoe3

I think it's pretty neat that the two most over-represented cetacean species (Bottlenose dolphins and orcas) have only been reviewed about 3 times over these years. I think that's an accomplishment.

Gwangi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 27, 2022, 08:02:10 PM
I think it's pretty neat that the two most over-represented cetacean species (Bottlenose dolphins and orcas) have only been reviewed about 3 times over these years. I think that's an accomplishment.

I'm pretty new at collecting and I have deliberately avoided many of the more common species, for a couple reasons. For one, it's just daunting to try to figure out which one to get. I'm also a slow collector and so I prefer to focus on species that are rarely made and might be harder to get in the future. So yeah, I have a vaquita and Blainville's beaked whale but no Orca or bottlenose dolphin. Those species will always be around, the others, perhaps not.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Gwangi on January 27, 2022, 09:58:28 PM

I'm pretty new at collecting and I have deliberately avoided many of the more common species, for a couple reasons. For one, it's just daunting to try to figure out which one to get. I'm also a slow collector and so I prefer to focus on species that are rarely made and might be harder to get in the future. So yeah, I have a vaquita and Blainville's beaked whale but no Orca or bottlenose dolphin. Those species will always be around, the others, perhaps not.

Another issue is that (especially in the case of the orca), you're really not gonna find one that's particularly ''great''. Unless you're getting a high-end model, most western-produced orcas have at least something wrong with them. The closest that come to getting it right are the recent Schleich one (Don't own it, I don't see anything wrong other than for collectors seeking a male), the MBA female (mostly fine, though teeth are iffy), the recent Wild Safari version (no blowhole, may be too small) or the papo one (No saddle patch, seams).

Gwangi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 27, 2022, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 27, 2022, 09:58:28 PM

Another issue is that (especially in the case of the orca), you're really not gonna find one that's particularly ''great''. Unless you're getting a high-end model, most western-produced orcas have at least something wrong with them. The closest that come to getting it right are the recent Schleich one (Don't own it, I don't see anything wrong other than for collectors seeking a male), the MBA female (mostly fine, though teeth are iffy), the recent Wild Safari version (no blowhole, may be too small) or the papo one (No saddle patch, seams).

Yes, a lot of the available Orca figures don't really hit the mark for me. The Schleich does appear to be one of the better ones and I've been mulling it over, I don't mind it representing a female. Is that the one that's missing a dorsal cape though?

callmejoe3

Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2022, 12:35:44 AM

Yes, a lot of the available Orca figures don't really hit the mark for me. The Schleich does appear to be one of the better ones and I've been mulling it over, I don't mind it representing a female. Is that the one that's missing a dorsal cape though?

Oh, that's right, it is.

bmathison1972

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 28, 2022, 05:31:53 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2022, 12:35:44 AM

Oh, that's right, it is.

I went with the newest Safari; I like the overall look of it (but must admit I didn't notice it doesn't have a blowhole  O:-) )

Gwangi

Get the Safari and forgo a blowhole, go with Schleich and forgo the dorsal cape. Decisions, decisions...

bmathison1972

With some recent TOOB and boxsets, several species have more additions!

Here are a list of species reviewed with a minimum of three:

Eleven reviews
great white shark

Eight reviews:
American alligator
domestic cattle [B. taurus complex]
Komodo dragon
whale shark

Six reviews:
blue whale
dodo
tiger
tiger shark

Five reviews:
African lion
caribou (reindeer)
platypus

Four reviews:
Asian elephant
common octopus
giant squid
gray whale
green sea turtle
humpback whale
plains zebra (including quagga)
praying mantis
red kangaroo
reef manta ray
sperm whale
spotted hyena
thylacine
turkey
western honey bee

Three reviews:
African bush elephant
American bison
basking shark
blue shark
bowmouth guitarfish (shark ray)
cheetah
common bottlenose dolphin
common hippopotamus
emperor scorpion
European stag beetle
fennec fox
giant deep-sea isopod
fennec fox
great hammerhead shark
Japanese giant mantis
Japanese rhinoceros beetle
killer whale
koala
leopard seal
monarch
narwhal
orange-barred sulfur
spotted eagle ray
southern black widow
walrus
white rhinoceros
zebra shark

Gwangi

Happy to do my part in boosting the domestic cattle so high up on the list. I'll have to review a few more to make it the most reviewed animal.  8)

sbell

I look at this list as a challenge to never do one from this list...other than some toob/set pieces I guess.
And the spotted hyena, since I think I did at least two or three myself!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on July 31, 2022, 11:31:47 PMI look at this list as a challenge to never do one from this list...other than some toob/set pieces I guess.
And the spotted hyena, since I think I did at least two or three myself!

I think both are fun. New and unique species are exciting, but seeing comparisons between different figures of the same species is equally exciting!

Gwangi

I'm happy to write about any animal that I haven't already written about. But when it comes to collecting I'm more drawn to species that aren't common in the hobby. I suppose this is because I'm fairly new at collecting and would hate to miss out on something like a razorback sucker or collared peccary when I know the lions, elephants, and pandas will always be around. 

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on August 01, 2022, 12:20:35 AMI'm happy to write about any animal that I haven't already written about. But when it comes to collecting I'm more drawn to species that aren't common in the hobby. I suppose this is because I'm fairly new at collecting and would hate to miss out on something like a razorback sucker or collared peccary when I know the lions, elephants, and pandas will always be around. 

Yes, when rare/unusual species come along, snatch them up when you can!

Your reasons above are why I am not quick to replace things too, when something slightly better comes along. That's why I replaced the Safari iguana with the CollectA iguana, but didn't rush to replace my existing African elephant or American bison with the newer ones. There will always be good bison and elephants to choose from, but a good iguana is a rare treat!