Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal Log of your native fauna

Started by Advicot, November 03, 2019, 01:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Some animals I spotted in the last few days.

bmathison1972

On my long run yesterday, in addition to the usual suspects I have mentioned previously, I saw California quail (Callipepla californica).

JimoAi

Lanthanotus

Winter creeping in and the first Eurarsian Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) and Robin (Erithacus rubecula)
appera in our garden. Also yesterday heard a Black Woopecker (Dryocopus martius).

Newt

On Friday I saw the first Junco of the fall. They are traditionally a harbinger of cold weather. I also saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch for the first time in a couple of years; they don't make it this far south every winter.

Isidro

Last friday I also had an interesting sight: first red kite of this year. Some seconds after seeing it (in my own street, in full urban center!), a magpie gave the alarm loudly.

Gwangi

It's that time of year where I start filling up the bird feeders. Today's sightings were...

Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Bluejay
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Dark-Eyed Junco
White-Throated Sparrow
House Finch

bmathison1972

I need to ask my apartment complex if I can put up a bird feeder. They might not allow it because of the doo-doo.

Otherwise, I have only seen the usual fair on my walks home from work or the gym. Nothing new to report.

Isidro

Yesterday I saw a magific male stonechat resting in the soil going to my work. I never saw stonechats in my city, they are always in more wild places. It flied when saw me but returned to the same point once I passed.
Today coming back from my job I saw two rabbits.

bmathison1972

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 09, 2020, 09:00:04 PM
I need to ask my apartment complex if I can put up a bird feeder. They might not allow it because of the doo-doo.

Otherwise, I have only seen the usual fair on my walks home from work or the gym. Nothing new to report.

I spoke too soon earlier. Walking home today, I saw:
1. great-horned owl
2. black-capped chickadee
3. dark-eyed junco

Those last two are new lifers for me!

What's funny is how it transpired. I was walking home today through the University of Utah campus and I saw a lady with her phone out in an area where deer congregate. I assumed she was looking at wildlife so I started looking around to see what she might be looking at when I noticed the owl in the tree above her. I asked her  if she was looking at the owl. What's funny, is that she was oblivious to the owl but she was birding. She was using an app to ID the juncos. While we were chatting, the chickadees showed up!

So I got two new birds today, three for Utah (I have seen great-horned owls in Arizona).

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 10, 2020, 12:02:44 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 09, 2020, 09:00:04 PM

I spoke too soon earlier. Walking home today, I saw:
1. great-horned owl
2. black-capped chickadee
3. dark-eyed junco

Those last two are new lifers for me!

What's funny is how it transpired. I was walking home today through the University of Utah campus and I saw a lady with her phone out in an area where deer congregate. I assumed she was looking at wildlife so I started looking around to see what she might be looking at when I noticed the owl in the tree above her. I asked her  if she was looking at the owl. What's funny, is that she was oblivious to the owl but she was birding. She was using an app to ID the juncos. While we were chatting, the chickadees showed up!

So I got two new birds today, three for Utah (I have seen great-horned owls in Arizona).

Are chickadees and juncos not abundant in your area or are you new to birding? Just curious, because they're both common backyard species where I am. I've been keeping a life list since 1999 and they were both added shortly after. Now a great horned owl I would consider a big deal, because although they are common I've only seen but a few. My latest additions to my life list were a golden-crowned kinglet and just last week, a brown creeper. The brown creeper is funny because I've been waiting to see one of these since I started birding, it has taken me 21 years and then I finally see one on a tree in my own yard, right outside the window. Congrats on your lifers!

bmathison1972

@Gwangi - I have only recently started a list, so I am new and informal at that. I am sure I have seen these both many times, just never knew what they were :)

I have created my list from memory for obvious things I have seen, but these small brown passerines I have no idea what I have been looking at over the years lol

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 10, 2020, 12:15:24 PM
@Gwangi - I have only recently started a list, so I am new and informal at that. I am sure I have seen these both many times, just never knew what they were :)

I have created my list from memory for obvious things I have seen, but these small brown passerines I have no idea what I have been looking at over the years lol

In the hobby those "small brown passerines" are known as LBJ, or Little Brown Jobs. Or LBB for Little Brown Birds, if you prefer. Yeah, they're the worst. I also struggle with shorebirds and flycatchers. So I've probably seen a number of species greater than that which I've recorded.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on December 10, 2020, 01:13:45 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 10, 2020, 12:15:24 PM

In the hobby those "small brown passerines" are known as LBJ, or Little Brown Jobs. Or LBB for Little Brown Birds, if you prefer. Yeah, they're the worst. I also struggle with shorebirds and flycatchers. So I've probably seen a number of species greater than that which I've recorded.

Yes as an insect collector, we use 'LBJ' for small brown beetles (tenebrionoids, cucujoids) and often collect insects on DYCs (damn yellow composites) hahahaha

JimoAi

Saw a skeleton of a female sperm whale that was found dead in my country. I know it's irrelavent but I would like to share. According to the musuem, she was 10.6 metres long  IMG_20201113_134349_25.jpg

bmathison1972

I saw American robins on my run this morning. At first I was hoping it was a different thrush, since it looked different from the forms I would see back East. But it looks like the American robin is the only US true thrush, not accounting for Mexican species in extreme southern TX, AZ?

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 10, 2020, 03:44:41 PM
I saw American robins on my run this morning. At first I was hoping it was a different thrush, since it looked different from the forms I would see back East. But it looks like the American robin is the only US true thrush, not accounting for Mexican species in extreme southern TX, AZ?

Hmmm...there are other members of the thrush family in North America (hermit, wood, varied thrushes, bluebirds), but it does appear that the American robin, being in the genus Turdus, is the only "true thrush". Interesting.

Thanks for sharing the skeleton JimoAi. My local museum, well before I moved anyway, had a right whale skeleton. I never got tired of staring at it.

bmathison1972

yeah I was referring to Turdus; none of the other Utah turdids resemble what I saw today. Similar to eastern populations, but the orange breast not as vibrant.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 10, 2020, 06:55:23 PM
yeah I was referring to Turdus; none of the other Utah turdids resemble what I saw today. Similar to eastern populations, but the orange breast not as vibrant.

Female perhaps?

bmathison1972

maybe; there were several in a tree. I was on a run, so I slowed down enough to get a general impression, but didn't spend a lot of time with them. A co-worker (who is also an 'unofficial' birder) also suggested they were females.