News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Discovery Science Sharks Alien Sharks set!

Started by sbell, September 02, 2018, 03:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

I already put these on Twitter, but wanted them here as well.

Walmart USA sold two sets of sharks from Discovery Science as part of their 30th Anniversary. I think the set names are based on shows, but I have no idea.

Thanks to @Halichoeres for getting these for me!

Each set is a box of 10 figures. There are species pictured and named on the back. The figures aren't marked...and the pictures/animal names don't always match well or at all with the figures in the set. So sometimes I had to take wild stabs at the species of the model...

This one is called Alien Sharks. I'm not sure, but I think the show is about odd and little-known sharks.

(note: except for a few format alterations, I'm just kind of posting my mini reviews of each with the photos)

This first one is a Goblin shark Mitsukurina. Biggest one in 2 sets!
Unique species as figure? No
Identifiable from photo on box? Yes
Represents species? Yes
Display worthy? Yes

Next, frilled shark Chlamydoselache
Correct photo on box? Yes
Represents species? Yes, but there are better
Display worthy? I guess. I have several others.

Common sawfish Pristis. Listed as a 'sawshark' but clearly isn't (ventral gills, no rostral barbels)
Correct photo on box? No. Not even the correct superorder
Represents species well? Meh
Display worthy? No. Again, I have several...

'Ghost shark' On the box is a picture is a Rhinochimaerid. They should've done that but at least it's different.
Unique species as figure? Yes
Correct photo on box? Sort of...at least it's a Holocephalan
Represents species well? Yes. Definitely a chimaera...
Display worthy? Yes, it's at least different

Bull shark. Needed to reach a bit here. The models aren't marked, so sometimes it's a matter of 'maybe?'
Unique species as a figure? No
Correct photo on the box? Well...it's a shark. Maybe?
Represents species well? There's better
Display worthy? No

Hammerhead shark Sphyrna Generic species.
Unique species as a figure? No
Correct photo on the box? Well...it's hard to mistake a hammerhead shark
Represents species well? Many exist. Many are better
Display worthy? No

Speartooth shark Glyphis. Based on photos on the box and best fit for ID.
Unique species as a figure? Yes. If it's a Glyphis
Correct photo on the box? It's a best fit thing. But tiny eyes and long pectorals?
Represents species well? It's okay
Display worthy? Sure

Japanese bullhead shark Heterodontus Box depicts leopard shark (Triakis)...nope. The second wrongest one in two sets...the other set has one that's more disappointing.
Unique species as a figure? No (for either species)
Correct photo on the box? Not even close
Represents species well? There's better. Of either species
Display worthy? Nope

Megamouth shark Megachasma
Unique species as a figure? No, but sculpt and paint job is different
Correct photo on the box? Hard to mistake it
Represents species well? It's okay
Display worthy? Maybe

Basking shark Cetorhinus Again, hard to miss this one...
Unique species as a figure? No. Every figure seems to look like it too...
Correct photo on the box? Basking sharks are pretty hard to miss...
Represents species well? Sure.
Display worthy? Nope

I do recommend the sets if you can find them. They were apparently only available in some Walkmarts in the US. During Shark week. So who knows if they can still be found.

bmathison1972

Nice series Sean, thanks for sharing! There's a charm to these special release sets. What the size difference among the figures, esp since they do not appear to be to scale.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 02, 2018, 03:51:24 AM
Nice series Sean, thanks for sharing! There's a charm to these special release sets. What the size difference among the figures, esp since they do not appear to be to scale.

There is the comparison picture of all of them...I think. Assuming the post right.

The goblin is about 30cm long. The little guys are like small toob figures. And yeah, they are definitely not to scale!

AnimalToyForum

Another curious set, thanks for the photos and summaries.

sbell

stargatedalek

That Japanese Bullhead shark looks suspiciously similar to the Play Visions catshark(? I think).

Some of these might look quite great repainted.

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 03, 2018, 03:53:57 AM
That Japanese Bullhead shark looks suspiciously similar to the Play Visions catshark(? I think).

Some of these might look quite great repainted.

It appears to be an exact copy of the Play Visions bullhead. Paint's just a little different

sphyrna18

This is a really great set with some really unique shark species.  It is a bit of a shame that they used copies of other companies' figures, though (Safari's Megamouth and Basking Shark, PlayVisions' Japanese Bullhead Shark), and there are so many of the cheap, dollar store figures that every set seems to have (that Hammerhead sculpt has been around forever).  But the Frilled Shark, Goblin Shark, & Chimaera are all new sculpts, and they look pretty good!

sbell

The bullhead shark is a pretty obvious copy.

The other two are very similar, but there is some small variation, especially in size. But the inspiration is obvious.

Nothing, however, compares to mega goblin shark!

sphyrna18

I hadn't noticed the size differences, but I'm totally fine with "inspired" figures.  That actually makes me feel a good bit better about having these sets now ha!  Then again, the Pyjama Catshark, Glyphis sp. Shark, two dogfish, and, as you said, mega goblin shark made these sets must haves for me!

Advicot

I think the megamouth looks like the Safari model.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

sbell

Quote from: Advicot on November 13, 2019, 08:11:47 PM
I think the megamouth looks like the Safari model.  :)

It's pretty darn close. The differences could just be production error

Advicot

By the way how big is the goblin and frilled shark. I wish I could own them, shame Walmart is USA and Canada exexclusive. We just have a shop called Asda which is in the Walmart chain.

sbell

Quote from: Advicot on November 13, 2019, 09:12:55 PM
By the way how big is the goblin and frilled shark. I wish I could own them, shame Walmart is USA and Canada exexclusive. We just have a shop called Asda which is in the Walmart chain.

The goblin is 30cm. The frilled is 17cm.

The sets never showed up in Canada either. I just knew someone that sent me them!

Advicot

Didn't expect them to be that big. Wow.  :o Do you know anywhere in the UK that sells a decent goblin and frilled shark.  :)

sbell

Quote from: Advicot on November 13, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
Didn't expect them to be that big. Wow.  :o Do you know anywhere in the UK that sells a decent goblin and frilled shark.  :)

The Safari Prehistoric marine toob has a frilled. It's well done. The toob is discontinued, but there still appears to be lots out there. Everything Dinosaur is your best UK bet.
There's also a Lontic/Nayab one but those are very unpredictable.

Goblin sharks are harder. The Safari Prehistoric Shark toob had a Scapanorhychus, which looks like one. But that toob is also discontinued--and harder to find.

Japanese companies, though, have made several of each. The best ones are in the Colorata deluxe sharks box. There's a cookie cutter shark in there too!