News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Arthropods (Cadbury - Yowies)

Started by bmathison1972, July 09, 2018, 01:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

This thread will serve as an overview of the Yowies arthropods. I will post a handful at a time. The Yowies series gives an insect collector the chance to get a large variety of unique models, as Australian arthropods are very uncommonly made. The nature of the figures does not justify long walkaround for each, so I will do single-image representations of each species.

There are figures here from both the Australian and UK releases. The former were small gashapon-like puzzles that required assembly; the latter are solid-plastic figures (and in many cases, more realistic than their Australian counterparts).

In no particular order:

1. paper wasp, Polistes rothneyi (this figure was marketed under the synonym, P. tasmaniensis).

2. the prehistoric horseshoe crab, Dubbolimulus sp.

3. trilobite, Kettneraspis clavatus.

4. jumping spider, gen. sp. This figure was not marketed at a given genus or species. Only one of three toy/model jumping spiders I am aware of!

5. the fiddler crab, Gelasimus vomeris (marketed under its original name, Uca vomeris.).
This species was in both the Australian and UK releases.

6. the cruiser butterfly, Vindula arsinoe ada.

7. spiny lobster, Panulirus cygnus.

8. mantis shrimp, Odontadactylus brevirostris.

9. the crab spider, Diaea variabilis.

10. Christmas scarab, Anoplognathus punctulatus.
Another one released in both the Australian and UK series. In this case, the UK figure is MUCH better than the Australian one.

11. Black-and-white tiger moth, Spilosoma glatignyi.

12. the transverse lady beetle, Coccinella transversalis.
Another species released in the UK and Australian series.

13. giant centipede, Scolopendra morsitans.

14. emperor gum moth, Opodiphthera eucalypti.

15. hairy hermit crab, Derdanus megistos.

AnimalToyForum

Great collection! Some lovely obscure species there.

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 09, 2018, 09:13:16 PM

There are many more to come! I have, to my knowledge, every Yowie arthropod.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 09, 2018, 11:47:01 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 09, 2018, 09:13:16 PM

There are many more to come! I have, to my knowledge, every Yowie arthropod.

Excellent. Then, maybe it should be a reference topic in the Lines section of the forum? You can see why I was toying with merging the Lines and Walk-arounds section.

bmathison1972

A few more....

16. A cuckoo wasp, Chrysis coerulans. The only chrysidid figures I am aware of, in both the UK and Australian sets.

17. The New Zealand widow spider, the katipo, Latrodectus katipo. This was a unique figure until Science and Nature released one last year!

18. the hover fly, Melangyna viridiceps.

19. green grocer cicada, Cyclochila australasiae.

20. yellow sand scorpion, Urodacus armatus.

21. tree weta, Hemideina crassidens

22. a field cricket, Teleogryllus commodus.

23. buprestid beetle, Temognatha murrayi, in the UK and Australian releases. Again, the UK one is better.

25. sponge crab, Stimdromia lateralis.

More to come.....

bmathison1972

A few more...

26. An Australian crayfish, the yabby Cherax destructor. Australian and UK releases.

27. leaf-rolling spider, Phonognatha graeffei.

28. scrofa moth, Hippotion scrofa.

29. crusader bug Mictis profana. Aesthetically this may be my favorite Yowie.

30. the great egg-fly, Hypolimnas bolina.

31. the four-o-clock moth, Dysphania fenestrata.

32. common garden katydid, Caedicia simplex.

33. the semi-looper moth, Trigonodes hyppasia.

34. ruby-eyed lacewing, Osmylops pallidus. The paperwork for this figure was mislabeled Nymphes myrmeleonides.

35. purple-winged mantid, Tenodera australasiae.

more to come....

bmathison1972

Some more...

36. an ogre-faced spider, Deinopis subrufa.

37. the yellow-striped hunter, Austrogomphus guerni.

38. the eastern plague grasshopper, Oedaleus australis, in both UK and Australian releases.

39. sea scorpion, cf. Pterygotus sp.

I'll prob be away from this forum for the next couple days...more later!!!!

AnimalToyForum

Oh, that ogre-faced spider it pretty awesome.

Have a good break from the forum.  :)

Isidro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 11, 2018, 09:03:18 PM
36. an ogre-faced spider, Deinopus rubrufus.
Deinopis subrufa. Deinopus would mean "terrible legs", but it's Deinopis that means "terrible eyes".

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 11, 2018, 09:03:18 PM37. Another one of my favorites, the shield-backed bug, Poecilocoris lewisi.
Nice to see at least one realistic and well made model between all these monstruosities :D

bmathison1972

Thanks for catching my typo. That's a cut and paste from my database, it must be spelled wrong there.

Beetle guy

The shield-backed bug, Poecilocoris lewisi is made by Furuta/Kaiyodo not by Cadbury-Yowies. Look underneath it  :))
To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Ahh, that explains the infinitely better quality and accurateness.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 13, 2018, 08:59:33 PM
The shield-backed bug, Poecilocoris lewisi is made by Furuta/Kaiyodo not by Cadbury-Yowies. Look underneath it  :))

Wow, now that's a brain fart. I was going through pre-posted Postimages pics too fast! LOL. Deleting now.

bmathison1972

OK, taking a break from real entomological work to do some toy insects, so let's continue this thread with one more:

40. Leichhardt's Grasshopper, Petasida ephippigera.

Looks like the others I have to take new pics of, so maybe I can get that done this weekend...

bmathison1972

OK here are the remaining figures. If I forgot something, let me know. I should have all of them.

And yes, Adam, this is a good post to give support to combining company threads and walkarounds. Actually STS does that as well, with separate child boards for walkarounds for larger groups.

Anyway on to the figures:

41. long-armed soldier crab, Mictyris longicarpus.

42.trapdoor spider, gen. sp. This one was only released in the UK sets.

43. Sydney funnel-web spider, Atrax robustus, in both Australian and UK releases.

44. Cairn's birdwing butterfly, Ornithoptera euphorion, in both Australian and UK releases.

45. the monarch, Danaus plexippus, also in both Australian and UK releases.

46. the common bluebottle, Graphium sarpedon.

47. the blue swimmer crab, Portunus pelagicus, in both Australian and UK releases.

48. scorpion, gen. sp. This is not marketed as anything specific, but I have usually called it Pandinus imperator based on loose morphologic interpretations. This is only in the UK releases.

49. the brown rhinoceros beetle, Xylotrupes gideon.

Again, if I overlooked anything, let me know. I should have the figure handy!

Beetle guy

Though I do not find the Cadbury -Yowies figurines actractive to collect, I do like you putting them up here in this way. I am sure this overview is great for people collecting them!
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 15, 2018, 11:25:41 PM
Though I do not find the Cadbury -Yowies figurines actractive to collect, I do like you putting them up here in this way. I am sure this overview is great for people collecting them!

they are not the nicest figures in terms of quality or accuracy, some are actually quite bad, but it gives one the chance to get a lot of taxa not made anywhere else!

sbell

I can't recall, and didn't notice if any were listed--are there any arthropods in the recent Howie's releases?

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on July 16, 2018, 04:55:27 AM
I can't recall, and didn't notice if any were listed--are there any arthropods in the recent Howie's releases?

no there are not, at least none I am aware of

AnimalToyForum

Then maybe I will combine the walk-arounds section with the lines section.

By the way, the long-armed soldier crab looks like some sort of Pokemon!  :))