News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari - New for 2018

Started by Halichoeres, September 25, 2017, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Safari's extant critters are being discussed more on dtf than here. That just won't do. Here are the official announcements so far for non-fictional,
non-prehistoric animals (stable photo links):

Wildlife

Bernie the alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis)

Kangaroo with Joey (Macropus rufus)

Sumatran rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis)

Pygmy hippo (Choeropsis liberiensis)

Babirusa (Babyrousa sp.)

North American Wildlife

Desert hare (black-tailed jackrabbit, Lepus californicus)

North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum)

Muskox (Ovibos moschatus)

Bison Bison bison

Wildlife Wonders

Florida panther (Puma concolor coryi)

Jaguar (Panthera onca)

XL Bison (Bison bison)

Wings of the World Birds

Flamingo (Phoenicopteridae)

Long-eared owl (Asio otus)

Peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus)

Incredible Creatures

Given as Antennariidae, looks like Antennarius pictus in particular

Flying frog, Family Rhacophoridae

Woodchuck/groundhog/whistlepig (Marmota monax)

Corn snake (Pantherophis guttatus)

Northern cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

Spiny lobster (Palinuridae)

Scorpion (Scorpiones)

Best in Show

Boxer

Poodle

Gray tabby cat

Siamese cat

Farm

Ameraucana chicken

Lamb

Sheep

Black sheep, looks like the same sculpt as the white one

Ongole cow

Texas longhorn bull

Winner's Circle Horses

Friesian mare

Morgan stallion

Tinker

Przewalski's horse

Sea Life

Leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx)

Vaquita (Phocoena sinus)

Sei whale (Balaenoptera borealis)

Manta ray (Manta birostris)

Whitetip reef shark (Triaenodon obesus)

Gray reef shark (Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos)

Lemon shark (Negaprion brevirostris)

Toobs

Whale Toob: beluga, blue whale, bowhead whale, Bryde's whale, gray whale, humpback whale, minke whale, pilot whale, right whale, sperm whale

Good Luck Minis

Jellyfish (Pelagia noctiluca)

spider (given as Latrodectus mactans or L. hesperus but doesn't really look much like a black widow to me)

Caribbean reef squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea)

hammerhead shark (Sphyrnidae)

barn owl (Tyto alba)

toucan (Ramphastos sp.)

hummingbird (Trochilidae)

tortoise (Testudinidae)

waving cat

horse

green moray (Gymnothorax funebris)

blue tang (Paracanthus hepatus)
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

bmathison1972

Thanks Tim. Please post them as you get them, and it's OK to do prehistoric critters here too. Do you know if the jackrabbit and puma are Wildlife Wonders or North American Wildlife.

Is this their first whales TOOB? Neat assortment if so.

Halichoeres

I had no idea Safari had so many sub-lines. I've edited the first post with that information. Apparently there was a dolphins and whales toob back in 2003 (http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Safari_694704_Whales_and_Dolphins_TOOB), but this new one looks like a significant improvement.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

sbell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2017, 04:50:20 AM
I had no idea Safari had so many sub-lines. I've edited the first post with that information. Apparently there was a dolphins and whales toob back in 2003 (http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Safari_694704_Whales_and_Dolphins_TOOB), but this new one looks like a significant improvement.

Yeah, I have that whales/dolphins toob (had? not even sure anymore). This new one looks like high end miniature copies of their larger figures.

I am hoping that this means a revised sharks toob will be on the way soon as well--except keep the misnamed Crocodile shark, because it's great!

stargatedalek

Most of the recent toobs have been going quality over quantity, quite pleasing to see them improve.

AnimalToyForum

I'm really liking the look of the Whales toob.  8)

postsaurischian

That's right! The Whales toob seems to meet Kaiyodo standards :o!

Rossano

Rossano

Sheep

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

Rossano

My great favourites among these new models are the American mastodon (looks a terrific result under every point of view), and then the Vaquita (the very first porpoise I have ever seen made by one of the major toy producers) and the long awaited Muskox (even if from the pics that does not thrills me as much as the Mastodon with regard to the details and the painting job).

sbell

Overall, so far a good bunch...but that porcupine. Ouch. I'm surprised they let that through.

I know that the large number of quills would make for a daunting figure, but this attempt did not work out at all.