News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Toba Aquarium sets

Started by sbell, May 06, 2017, 04:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

So in recent discussions with Widukind on the Recent Acquistionsthread, the Toba Aquarium series were brought up.

And rather than take over that thread, I thought I'd just start one here.

Not sure who actually makes the Toba figures; I think at least one Yujin model was reused for one* (a Kidako Moray with cleaner wrasse). And they definitely reuse models in their different series.

The only one I have is the Toba Aquarium Series 2--the 'living fossil' series (of course). It includes:

QUEENSLAND LUNGFISH
SPOTTED GAR
PIRARUCU
JAPANESE BULLHEAD SHARK
PITTED STINGRAY
CHAMBERED NAUTILUS
ASIAN AROWANA

They are smaller than your average Kaiyodo figure, but came on really nice stands--only the horseshoe crab is not attached (it just kind of...sits...on its rock).

And because it takes too long to do all the photos...a collage! The arowana is in there twice--its little 'water surface feature' kind of obscures the figure's head:

Also the nautilus looks different because when I originally received the set...I received two heads and no bodies...

Better pictures can be found here: https://goo.gl/photos/k7APV7is3ShdLLpw9

As for other series...I can only find a reference to a 'Korokoro collection' as well--a few of the species are repeats.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/hengbok-nikita/9418615215/
Lots of crustaceans...Blaine, I'm assuming that you can help out there!

And to be sure, these are just sets that clearly came from the same source. I do believe that there are other Toba sets that may be from other suppliers (interestingly, I can't recall seeing any Kaiyodo-derived Toba sets. It's like the one aquarium that doesn't have Kaiyodo sets).

One that I just found--Kitan Club/Nature Technicolor also made a series in their style http://blog.163.com/ren_jun/blog/static/173375618201257289304/

Anyone else have pictures of these models? Or other sets?

* I just came across a few references to other Toba figures being made by Yujin, like the Horseshoe crab. I can't recall seeing that on the papers though.

widukind

What a phantastic topic, thank you. I think i have the horseshoe crab and now the gar. As i saw the very similar parrotfish there i was thinking it is Koro Koro too, and than you said it is Toba Aquarium.

The pitted stingray i never saw before, i only know that specie from Takara Tomy Arts, the figurine with the face on the belly.

Here is a pic of the booklet from the Koro Koro fansclub fish serie where i have the parrotfish. Do you know if it is a knobsnout parrotfish too in the Toba Aquarium serie?

here is the booklet of the nice fish serie of fansclub

bmathison1972

Sean,

Yeah I know the arthropods. There is the red cleaner shrimp (Lysmata debelius), red egg crab (Atergatis integerrimus), fiddler crab (Uca arcuata), and horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus--this was an interesting choice for a Japanese company to make the North American species!). The Lysmata and Atergatis are, to my knowledge, 'unique' figures.

And yes, the manufacturer is Koro Koro. To my knowledge, Yujin didn't make a horseshoe crab. Perhaps these figures have been incorrectly marketed as being by Yujin? Of course I do not have everything and I am sure there are some things out there I am unaware of...

sbell

See, now I learn 2 things--one, that the company is Koro Koro (for the 3 sets, anyway--clearly Kitan made one as well).

And that there is a set with spotted garden eels (plus the obligatory 'secret' splendid garden eel).

As for references to Yujin--those mostly came from online sellers, so they might be wrong. But I do know that the Yujin Giant Moray:

is also part of a Toba Aquarium set, but was made by Yujin (as a secret for a Yujin marine fishes set, too). I have a paper for it somewhere that mentions the Toba, and mentions Yujin.

So, again, how did the Toba be the only (seemingly) Japanese aquarium to skip the Kaiyodo lines?

Quote from: widukind on May 06, 2017, 05:08:18 PM
Look here, it is Koro

http://www.taobao-com.de/kaufen-35732267166-.html

Those TaoBao figures appear to be a mixture of at least two, maybe 3, KoroKoro sets. And the wrasse may be the same species as the Kitan, just very different looking!

bmathison1972

Sean, not only is that set a 'hybrid' but the shrimp is missing its antennae ;-)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 06, 2017, 11:31:31 PM
Sean, not only is that set a 'hybrid' but the shrimp is missing its antennae ;-)

See, that's why the Taobao irregular sets cause me some concern--I know that they are not proper, or correct--and may not know if they are outright wrong.

As for the Yujin eel I found the paper...the whole set is odd, and contains unusual things. I will have to scan it to show it.

widukind

Quote from: sbell on May 06, 2017, 11:20:51 PM
See, now I learn 2 things--one, that the company is Koro Koro (for the 3 sets, anyway--clearly Kitan made one as well).

And that there is a set with spotted garden eels (plus the obligatory 'secret' splendid garden eel).

As for references to Yujin--those mostly came from online sellers, so they might be wrong. But I do know that the Yujin Giant Moray:

is also part of a Toba Aquarium set, but was made by Yujin (as a secret for a Yujin marine fishes set, too). I have a paper for it somewhere that mentions the Toba, and mentions Yujin.

So, again, how did the Toba be the only (seemingly) Japanese aquarium to skip the Kaiyodo lines?

Quote from: widukind on May 06, 2017, 05:08:18 PM
Look here, it is Koro

http://www.taobao-com.de/kaufen-35732267166-.html

Those TaoBao figures appear to be a mixture of at least two, maybe 3, KoroKoro sets. And the wrasse may be the same species as the Kitan, just very different looking!

But now with see more and more clearly :)  About your moray- that figurine is selling on Ebay as Kidako moray but i think you are more right. I need a giant moray for my zoo. So is that figurine one piece? It looks more that is a puzzle figurine with 3 pieces like Kaiyodo.
The Kitan humphead wrasse is not the same specie like that Koro Koro parrotfish. I bought them as knobsnout parrotfish and i think thats is right too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knobsnout_parrotfish

widukind

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 06, 2017, 11:31:31 PM

Its the same like by Epoch sets.

sbell

The moray is two or three pieces. They don't fit all that well--Yujin tends to be more flexible material. Plus, it may have been a second casting; it first showed up as one of the secrets in the Yujin saltwater fish series.

And I don't think it's a Kidako moray--that one is best represented in one of the early Aquatales series.

widukind

BlueKrono

Does that gar have prey in its mouth?
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 14, 2017, 12:55:52 PM
Does that gar have prey in its mouth?

It does--a little orange fish (feeder goldfish?)

Side note--it turns out the Georgia Aquarium has 3 species of gar. Spotted, longnose and alligator!