News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2017

Started by AcroSauroTaurus, November 12, 2016, 05:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on November 19, 2016, 03:05:14 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 19, 2016, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on November 18, 2016, 01:53:07 PM
Great! Finally a Trioceros montium! 8) AcroSauroTaurus, I copied those into your first post, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks! And I like the fact that its a Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon, and not one of the more popular species like the Panther or Veiled. Now I'm waiting on a Usambara Three-horned Chameleon... (but I'm really hoping for a Strap-toothed Beaked Whale) ;D

Quote from: sbell on November 19, 2016, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 19, 2016, 01:27:29 AM
just think how many more cool species they could make if they didnt waste PVC on ad nauseum varieties of horses...

Or repaints of big cats...

I don't mind the big cat repaints, some deserve them. But they have way too many horses to be bothered with making all the color morphs of each breed...

Keep in mind--they're new distributor, Reeves international, is all about horses (and domestic). And they intend to only carry horses...so while we may not be impressed, it appears to acually be a huge part of CollectA's business.

Yah, I'm just not fond of the whole "all color morphs of all breeds" idea.
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

Assuming we have not seen all of CollectA's releases, so far Safari LTD is winning this year :)

AcroSauroTaurus

And the final group.

Leopard Seal

Rocky Mountain foal

Bongo

Saiga

Wildlife Toob

Marine Life Toob 1

Marine Life Toob 2
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Having seen the new Prehistoric Marine tube...these are underwhelming. Not a single unique species of any note. They couldn't come up with a single shark or something?

stargatedalek

If the leather-back and African penguin were in the same set maybe...

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on November 25, 2016, 12:06:02 AM
Having seen the new Prehistoric Marine tube...these are underwhelming. Not a single unique species of any note. They couldn't come up with a single shark or something?

Well, at least they put the exact names, instead of just Penguin, Gorilla, Black Bear, seal, etc.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Rossano

I really love the choices of the Saiga and the Leopard Seal (first time I see one of both).

They both look quite well made, but from these pics I prefer the Saiga.

Elephas Maximus

Bongo is too stocky, its proportions rather resemble elands (and even Collecta eland is more gracile...)

Rossano

Quote from: Elephas Maximus on November 27, 2016, 10:56:37 AM
Bongo is too stocky, its proportions rather resemble elands (and even Collecta eland is more gracile...)

The proportions of the body seem to correspond quite properly to most of the pics I find on the net, the problem seems to be the vertical measure of the neck, that because of the very abundant pendant skin looks enormous, while on real animals is definitely thinner. Strange solution, since the animal looks very carefully sculpted.

brontodocus

Quote from: Rossano on November 27, 2016, 01:54:50 PM
Quote from: Elephas Maximus on November 27, 2016, 10:56:37 AM

The proportions of the body seem to correspond quite properly to most of the pics I find on the net, the problem seems to be the vertical measure of the neck, that because of the very abundant pendant skin looks enormous, while on real animals is definitely thinner. Strange solution, since the animal looks very carefully sculpted.
I have to say, I'm quite happy with how the bongo looks, especially because it is so stocky. They are quite heavily built and short-legged antelopes. Those neck proportions may not be that off if the figure is molded after a strong and very mature male. I've found a picture on the website of Dzanga Sangha National Park which seems to come close in proportions:

bmathison1972

yes, I believe Numaan (on STS) said this was to represent a male specifically

Elephas Maximus

The figure is a male indeed, a tip of penis sheath is visible. I initially suspected it to be modeled after an old & obese captive specimen)))

OkapiBoy

My prayers is finally answered with this super awesome Bongo figure!
Its about time CollectA made one, so beautiful 😄

And a Saiga antelope? Wow, another first and also a beautiful figure!
Can't wait to get these two figure.

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

CetaceanFan

Man, that Leopard seal looks very, very nice!
Also those antelopes (sorry I only specialize in aquatic life and don't know the names) also look amazing!

Rossano

I am really puzzled by Collecta's solution to stabilize birds by putting some tall grass amid the legs of the animal.

I think it is way better the usual base of dirt under the feet of the animal. Don't love it, but way less disturbing in watching the animal than the grass.

What is your opinion?

AcroSauroTaurus

More photos from FB.

I wonder if the marine toob creatures will come with those small stands...
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 03, 2017, 04:52:39 PM
More photos from FB.

Judging from the product pictures of the animal in tubes, I wouldn't think so. There doesn't appear to be room. Kind of a shame, they would display better.

BlueKrono

Quote from: sbell on February 03, 2017, 05:09:13 PM
More photos from FB.

Judging from the product pictures of the animal in tubes, I wouldn't think so. There doesn't appear to be room. Kind of a shame, they would display better.

Wish they would sell their stands separately like Sideshow does.
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 03, 2017, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 03, 2017, 05:09:13 PM
More photos from FB.

Wish they would sell their stands separately like Sideshow does.

It's fun to make your own!