News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lovely Salamanders

Started by postsaurischian, January 01, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

beautiful collection of japanese giant salamander figures postsaurischian.

brontodocus

Wow, really impressive! :) I'm so happy to have the Kyoto Aquarium resin (and the NMOJ figure), too! And it looks like the Kyoto Aquarium Capsule figure is a really good one, too. ^-^

sbell

Very cool--who knew there were so many. And there's even one more, the ChocoEgg figure from Kaiyodo:

Probably not the best rendering, but I believe the earliest.

And someday I might hunt down one of the newer Kyoto aquarium one, but I just can't justify the cost of the figure to myself! They are quite pricey, even in Japanese auctions.

stemturtle

Sbell, thanks for posting the photo of the Kaiyodo ChocoEgg giant salamander.  Your collection is truly archival.  I hope the newer Kyoto aquarium figure will eventually show up at a lower price for those of us of the Scottish persuasion.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on February 21, 2013, 01:57:15 PM
Sbell, thanks for posting the photo of the Kaiyodo ChocoEgg giant salamander.  Your collection is truly archival.  I hope the newer Kyoto aquarium figure will eventually show up at a lower price for those of us of the Scottish persuasion.

What's my dad got to do with it? ;)

But yeah, there are limits to how far I can push my wife. Apparently we also need to feed the kids...

postsaurischian

Quote from: sbell on February 21, 2013, 03:41:55 PM

But yeah, there are limits to how far I can push my wife. Apparently we also need to feed the kids...

The Kyoto figures aren't that expensive normally. These jubei prices on eBay are highly exaggerated.
At the museum the special resin figure is USD 30.00 and the gashapon capsule is USD 5.00 :).
The later is from a vending machine though, but you can't go wrong with all the others in this series ;D.
The main problem of course is how to get there ::).

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 21, 2013, 04:00:24 PM

The Kyoto figures aren't that expensive normally. These jubei prices on eBay are highly exaggerated.
At the museum the special resin figure is USD 30.00 and the gashapon capsule is USD 5.00 :).
The later is from a vending machine though, but you can't go wrong with all the others in this series ;D.
The main problem of course is how to get there ::).

Interestingly, I have all of the figures from that set except any of the salamanders. Even in Japanese auctions they were still higher than I could go.

sbell

Double post, I know, but I just remembered another Giant Salamander:

This is a bin figure (or baggie) from a company called FUL.

And I just received my CapsuleQ Hynobius lichenatus--very nice; salamanders lend themselves well to the small capsule figures; hopefully someday Colorata does a box of just Caudata (I really think an Emperor Newt would be great!).

sauroid

three Kaiyodo sallys (the only one that hasnt been posted yet is the Tylototriton)

tyrantqueen

By "Scottish persuasion" he is saying that those of us who are thrifty will be able to get this model soon; the Scots have a reputation for their penny pinching ways ;) At least, that's what I think it means....

Although, I'm of Scottish descent myself (both grandparents), and I don't consider myself particularly thrifty :-[

Sauroid, those Salamanders look lovely. Speaking of Salamanders, I am going to purchase these two from EricStudios soon:

I'll post some pics when I do :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

postsaurischian

Here is that first Salamander by Eric Thorsen in white, strong & flexible:

tyrantqueen

Oh, it looks really good. I must endeavour to pick this one up, then :)

The acrylic cube is a nice creative touch, too.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Wow, the Eric's Studio salamander is awesome! 8) I guess a stand like this cube is mandatory if you get one.

sbell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 22, 2013, 09:24:47 AM

By "Scottish persuasion" he is saying that those of us who are thrifty will be able to get this model soon; the Scots have a reputation for their penny pinching ways ;) At least, that's what I think it means....

Although, I'm of Scottish descent myself (both grandparents), and I don't consider myself particularly thrifty :-[

Oh, I knew, that, I just figured I would play dumb about it  ;D Although my dad is of Scottish descent.

And I really like the Eric's Studio salamanders, but I have to limit myself somewhere, and the cost of his figures often makes that decision for me. Besides, I like the Kaiyodo ones more (maybe because they're already painted?!).

postsaurischian

Finally I got the beautiful Safari Tennessee Aquarium Fire Salamander :D (thanks to Blackdanter!).
It was a very hot day, so I took him with me to my favourite lake .......

stemturtle

Nice photos, postsaurischian. I would say that the pictures of the fire salamander take me back to the Carboniferous, but that would be giving away my age.

sauroid

whoah that salamander looks almost alive. and LOL @stemturtle

Battatitan

I'm amazed by Eric Thorsen's salamander - the model is so unique and beautiful.  :D
And congratulations on Safari's salamander; your pictures have brought it to life!

Jetoar

It is alive ! , one of the best replics of salamander that I have ever seen  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Series:   Nature of Japan Vol.1
                                     (This is figure No.07)

> The figures of this series come without the typical Kitan Club bases.

..... next to Nature Techni Colour's first version of this species - a totally different sculpt: