News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lovely Salamanders

Started by postsaurischian, January 01, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Those Kitan Club salamanders and newts are incredibly gorgeous! 8)

stargatedalek

Quote from: sbell on December 28, 2015, 06:57:38 AM
Quote from: miwashi on December 28, 2015, 04:26:40 AM
Is the kitan club series out yet? I want to buy a set!

They are indeed released now.

I was going to be strong, but after seeing these pictures I have caved and ordered one from the ATF member Brett (BMKnj17).
You aren't the only one ;D

These little guys are my most anticipated 2016 purchase, really outstanding. Does anyone know what scale they are each in?

postsaurischian

update to Reply #5:

^-^  大 山 椒 魚  -  Japanese Giant Salamander  -  Andrias japonicus

1. Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour - Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan   2. Epoch - Living Fossils (secret figure)
                        3. Kaiyodo - Kyoto Aquarium No.03 - eggs & larvae   4. Kaiyodo - Kyoto Aquarium No.02 - adult
                          5. Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour - Nature of Japan No.07   6. Kaiyodo - Animatales No.05
                     7. Re-ment - Pose Skeleton No.204   8. Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour - Salamander & Newts set
                     9. Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments of Japan No.35   10. Kaiyodo - Kyoto Aquarium special resin model

stemturtle

Wow, postsaurischian! The Japanese giant salamander is certainly popular.

postsaurischian

It is ... in Japan. I wonder why none of the Western major companies has made one to date.
Wouldn't it be great to see one released in Safari's Incredible Creatures line for example? I'm sure it would sell well.

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 07, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
It is ... in Japan. I wonder why none of the Western major companies has made one to date.
Wouldn't it be great to see one released in Safari's Incredible Creatures line for example? I'm sure it would sell well.

We'd almost be more likely to expect a better mudpuppy or helbender or something like that. A good one, not a glowing one...We know they can do them.

Jetoar

Giant salamander is one of my favorite species and it is good to know the great number of figures  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stemturtle

California tiger salamander, Ambystoma californiense (Yowie USA)

Length 2.25 in. or 5.7 cm.

The production of Cadbury Yowie capsule figures ended in 2005. In 2014 the new brand, Yowie Group, released its first series of one-piece toys in the United States. The second series, released in 2016, called the All American Collection, includes this salamander. It is exciting to see a new species.

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on March 08, 2016, 09:35:33 PM
Giant salamander is one of my favorite species and it is good to know the great number of figures  ^-^.

It would be nice to see a CHINESE giant salamander...but given where they are coming from, we're lucky that they even made the hybrid one for the Kyoto series (less lucky? Trying to get one of those without spending a ton of cash!)

And the Yowie is nice--I only have a couple (fennec fox and pupfish) but they are very good quality--better than the single-piece UK Yowies models from the early 2000s/late 90s (but I still love my bushbaby!).

stemturtle

Quote from: sbell on November 18, 2016, 09:30:59 PM
It would be nice to see a CHINESE giant salamander...but given where they are coming from, we're lucky that they even made the hybrid one for the Kyoto series (less lucky? Trying to get one of those without spending a ton of cash!)

Sbell, are you talking about the Kaiyodo giant salamander with a polystone base?
(See images on review by postsaurischian.)
I got a card with my figure, in Japanese, which I cannot read. Is that the source of the information about it being a hybrid with the Chinese species? I have not heard that before, although there is a problem in Japan with exotics breeding with the endemics.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on November 19, 2016, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: sbell on November 18, 2016, 09:30:59 PM

Sbell, are you talking about the Kaiyodo giant salamander with a polystone base?
(See images on review by postsaurischian.)
I got a card with my figure, in Japanese, which I cannot read. Is that the source of the information about it being a hybrid with the Chinese species? I have not heard that before, although there is a problem in Japan with exotics breeding with the endemics.

No, the Kaiyodo Kyotot Aquarium bottlecap figures came in two varieties--one was a hybrid. Although I think it was just a repaint.

The series can be seen on this page:

http://kaiyodo.co.jp/capsule/kyoto.html

stemturtle

Thanks sbell. So the base of the Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium bottlecap figure is marked Andrias japonicus X Andrias davidianus. Don't know how I missed that hybrid.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on November 19, 2016, 03:45:36 PM
Thanks sbell. So the base of the Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium bottlecap figure is marked Andrias japonicus X Andrias davidianus. Don't know how I missed that hybrid.

If it weren't so hard to find, and expensive, I would try to track one down. But for whatever reason, the salamanders in that set are hard to find, and harder to afford!

AcroSauroTaurus

My Salamanders. (And a Cane Toad, because these are all my amphibians)

Figures:
Chinasaur "amphibianized" Dimetrodon with sail cut off.
Spotted Salamander (Playvision knock-off)
Safari Ltd. Venomous Creatures Toob Cane Toad
Green Salamander (needs ID'd)
Dusky Salamander (needs ID'd)
I am the Dinosaur King!

stemturtle

AcroSauroTaurus, the spotted salamander would be marked PV on the ventral side if made by Play Visions.
If unmarked, then it is probably a knockoff.

brontodocus

Strange. Those two figures to the right would look more like lizards. But they do have four digits at the hand and vertical folds on their sides which would suggest that they are indeed meant to be salamanders.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: stemturtle on December 14, 2016, 01:09:21 PM
AcroSauroTaurus, the spotted salamander would be marked PV on the ventral side if made by Play Visions.

Checked it, it is a knock-off.

Quote from: brontodocus on December 17, 2016, 10:56:58 AM
Strange. Those two figures to the right would look more like lizards. But they do have four digits at the hand and vertical folds on their sides which would suggest that they are indeed meant to be salamanders.

Their heads are sculpted similar to lizard heads, but they are meant to be salamanders.
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

I have (had?) that same one, and it is a knock off.

I also have the same Dimetrodon, and I also cut the sail off off it!

Then it got painted!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on December 17, 2016, 05:42:04 PM

Then it got painted!

Haha, Looks like we both thought it was better off as an amphibian! I plan on painting mine too! If you don't mind, I might just use the same color scheme as yours. ;) I just haven't gotten around to it yet, I've been busy with making the sculpts for my figure line.
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 18, 2016, 01:56:57 AM
Quote from: sbell on December 17, 2016, 05:42:04 PM

Then it got painted!

Haha, Looks like we both thought it was better off as an amphibian! I plan on painting mine too! If you don't mind, I might just use the same color scheme as yours. ;) I just haven't gotten around to it yet, I've been busy with making the sculpts for my figure line.

Sure, go ahead--we did it many years ago, it just seemed like a good scheme!