News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Species identification thread (real animals)

Started by Owen Leo, March 13, 2016, 02:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

@Isidro

Very interesting.

The parasite looks like a sparganum (plerocercoid larva), which is the third larval stage of a diphyllobothriid cestode (Diphyllobothrium, and kin). If I am correct, this is the infectious stage for the definitive host. It's possible is the procercoid stage, which is the precursor to the sparganum. Either way, it looks like the larva of a tapeworm that uses fish as an intermediate host.

The beetle looks like Cardiophorus based on the notched hypomeron, but I don't know the European fauna.

hope this helps

Isidro

Many thanks dear Blaine. I have a pic of Diphyllobothrium latum (museum specimen), this must be a different species of maybe that genus, because D. latum parasite freshwater fishes and not saltwater ones. I will try to find somebody for ID the Cardiophorus, this is a genus from which I have only two species photographed and for sure this one is neither of them.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on May 24, 2023, 10:47:03 PMMany thanks dear Blaine. I have a pic of Diphyllobothrium latum (museum specimen), this must be a different species of maybe that genus, because D. latum parasite freshwater fishes and not saltwater ones. I will try to find somebody for ID the Cardiophorus, this is a genus from which I have only two species photographed and for sure this one is neither of them.

This is probably not 'D. latum' which is now known by its original name, Dibothriocephalus latus. Larvae are virtually impossible to ID morphologically but someone with a good knowledge of the local fauna and host fish might be able to narrow it down a little.

@Isidro - I just had another thought!! At the thicker end of the organism, is there a little proboscis sticking out? This could be an acanthocephalan that uses fish as a definitive host!!

Isidro

Thanks, I guess that an ID will be impossible without a collected specimen for microscopic analysis :)

SerAndrew

Hi!
Someone (specially @bmathison1972) can help me with this one?
It was seen in central Spain, lavender fields, this weekend.

Thanks!

bmathison1972

I don't know the European fauna, sorry, but it is an antlion in the family Myrmeleontidae. You can start researching there.

SerAndrew

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 16, 2023, 07:09:06 PMI don't know the European fauna, sorry, but it is an antlion in the family Myrmeleontidae. You can start researching there.

Thank you!
It seems Euroleon nostras

Isidro

It's Macronemurus appendiculatus male. It's one of the few easy to identify antlions in Spain and completely different to Euroleon nostras. It's also one of the commomest species here, at least according to my experience.

SerAndrew

Hi, can someone help me identifying this insect?
Specially @bmathison1972

Seen in Madrid today

bmathison1972

I am not familiar with Europe's fauna, but as best I can say it is a hover fly in the family Syrphidae.

Isidro

And it's the unmistakable and very well known Episyrphus balteatus.

SerAndrew

Hi!

Can anyone help identifying this stonefish? It's been filmed in Philippines Visayans.
Thanks!

sbell

EpicRaptorMan

I wish I had a better photo. Dude's camouflage is too good.

bmathison1972

Yeah, it's hard to ID camouflaged like that (plus it's out of my taxonomic area of interest). But a lovely fish I might add!

JimoAi

Spotted a crab carcass/exoskeleton on the beach. Any possible ID?

Isidro

I'm pretty sure it's Portunus pelagicus.

Here you can compare the photos of all portunids of Singapore:
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/portunidae/portunidae.htm

SerAndrew

Hi @bmathison1972 @Isidro any idea on this mantis? Looks like a baby.
Shooted in Philippines

Isidro

Yes it's a "baby" (a nymph), and if this would make an identification very difficult in Europe or North America, you can imagine how is it in a tropical place as the Philippines, with lots more species.

Maybe, if you try a better photo (your mantis is lost in a big extension of meaningless background, details can't be seen if you don't crop your photos), and then you find an expert in South East Asian mantises or even a good expert in mantises in general, maybe there is a possibility of identify it, even being a nymph.