News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Apes - superfamily Hominoidea

Started by Ana, December 31, 2012, 12:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

This is CollectA gorilla male figure. Perhaps it's not the best gorilla figure available but it's quite special in my opinion because it seems to represent young male instead of silver back full grown one (like in many other brands). So it may be interesting additions to any apes figures collection :) Some says this figure looks like Western gorilla but CollectA do not describe it in catalog :)

Some close ups on his face, quite interesting one I must say  ::)

And here size comparison with Schleich male gorilla :)

brontodocus

Hehe, it really has a coy and sympathic expression! :) Regarding the identification, that's difficult to say especially for an immature specimen. We can rule out the Mountain Gorilla, but I think it could be either the Eastern Lowland or one ofh the Western Gorillas. Western Lowlands often have a distinctive brown forehead but this is apparently less developped in juveniles (and the brown forehead is often ignored in toy figures).

Ana

Oh, thank You for this comment :) And for additional info about gorillas coloration  :D

Jetoar

Cool figure. From my point of view the best figure is Papo gorilla  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Looking powerful but gentle at the same time, here is the Papo Wild Animals Gorilla - because of its robust build, modestly thick fur, and a forehead that is the same colour as the rest of the body I tentatively identified it as Gorilla beringei graueri (Matschie, 1914), the Eastern Lowland Gorilla. Total height is 80 mm, if the figure would stand fully erect with unflexed knees it would be approx. 105 mm high. But a more realistic standing height with slightly flexed knees would probably be between 95 and 100 mm, so the scale may be approx. 1:16 - 1:18.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Ana

This is one wonderful gorilla figure 8) Thank You for sharing, I think  I must get this one too :D

brontodocus

You're welcome, Ana! :) It's definitely a figure worth getting.

Jetoar

The best figure of gorilla currently  ^-^. Thanks for share.

brontodocus

Well, this one is a little different but, hey, it's really part of the line... while maybe not all collectors would focus on her the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures Michelle the Underwater Adventurer is a highly detailed (you can even see what time it is on her wristwatch! :o), large figure that can be displayed together with many figures of marine animals. Total length (direct line) is 175 mm but if she was standing Michelle would be approx. 136 mm tall so the scale would be around 1:12 - 1:13.
Here is her original site by Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-michelle-the-underwater-adventurer

AnimalToyForum

Jetoar

brontodocus

Thanks, Adam & Jetoar! :) I have the similarly sized "Kevin the Underwater Adventurer", too. A detachable coral reef stand or something similar that would make them look as if they were diving over it would have been a great addition. I like both figures and they really look better when they don't lie flat on the ground. Good old Invicta Ichthyosaurus stand! ;D

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 13, 2013, 10:57:36 PM
Thanks, Adam & Jetoar! :) I have the similarly sized "Kevin the Underwater Adventurer", too. A detachable coral reef stand or something similar that would make them look as if they were diving over it would have been a great addition. I like both figures and they really look better when they don't lie flat on the ground. Good old Invicta Ichthyosaurus stand! ;D

Yes, Invicta Stand are very good for sea creatures  ^-^.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the dive buddy of Michelle the Underwater Adventurer, here is the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures Kevin the Underwater Adventurer. He is slightly larger than Michelle, with a total length (measured in direct line) of 183 mm. If he was standing he would be approx. 145 mm tall so the scale would be around 1:12 - 1:13, too.
Here's a link to Kevin at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-kevin-the-underwater-adventurer

AnimalToyForum

Jetoar

brontodocus

Jetoar

brontodocus

Another one of Papo's 2013 additions to their Wild Animals series (or "Les Animaux Sauvages") here is the White-handed Gibbon, Hylobates lar (Linnaeus, 1771). The dorsum of the hand and the instep are whitish to represent the species properly. The figure isn't easy to measure, snout-vent length is approx. 55 mm, so the scale would be between 1:8 and 1:11. Standing height is approx. 66 mm.

Despite being one of the best known gibbon species with an extensive geographical range it is seriously threatened by poaching and habitat loss (like practically all gibbon species) and IUCN lists it as "Endangered".
The last photo shows it together with the Wildlife Wonders Siberian Tiger, which is, although zoogeographically incorrect (there are other tiger subspecies occuring in the White-handed Gibbon's range), about the same scale (approx. 1:10 - 1:11).

Jetoar

Definetly, Papo have done a great work with this figure  ^-^.