News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prosimians

Started by stemturtle, February 17, 2016, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aye-Aye Fan

I got the Pangolin and the Loris!
I just wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored. ~ Sir David Attenborough

Aye-Aye Fan

Still waiting for a company to release a good quality Aye-Aye figure (I know that Playvisions, Colorata and Nayab all have released figures in the past but none of them seem particularly great). I think the main reason that we haven't got a decent realistic one is due to the anatomy of the hand which would be very difficult to replicate in plastic because it would be too brittle, even if the figure was quite large (say about the size of one of Safari's Incredible Creatures) so the fingers would have to be grouped together to form just a generic mammal paw but I remain hopeful...
I just wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored. ~ Sir David Attenborough

stargatedalek

A soft material could make that work. It could be cast separately or the whole thing could be done in a soft material like Safari generally uses for the large IC creatures.

Isidro

I think long bushy messy hair is even more difficult to replicate convincently in toy form than an aye-aye hand. Think Safari LTD North American porcupine, or Nayab boar (supposed to be a giant forest hog). However, various brands did very well the shaggy hair or orangutans, probably because orangutans are much more attractive to the general public.

Aye-Aye Fan

Here's part of my Aye-Aye (and all-round Prosimian) 'shrine' as well as some of my older drawings:

Figures
Nayab Aye-Aye (large and small), Verreaux's Sifaka, Lesser Bushbaby, Ring-Tailed Lemur x2 & another Bushbaby (far bottom right)
AAA Ring-Tailed Lemur x2 & Black and White Ruffed Lemur
Safari Sifaka (toob)
K&M Coquerel's Sifaka
Papo Black and White Ruffed Lemur
Reppals rubber Ring-Tailed Lemur
Yowie Senegal Bushbaby
& the infamous 'Langur Monkey'

Soft toys:
Hansa Aye-Aye
Wild Republic Aye-Aye, Bushbaby & Ring-Tailed Lemur
Lemur Dolls Aye-Aye & Ring-Tailed Lemur

I'm currently waiting for the Eikoh Slow Loris and the Colorata Aye-Aye to arrive...

stemturtle

Fun to see your collection, @Aye-Aye Fan.
The Nayab figure at the bottom right is identified on the Toy Animal wiki as a kinkajou, a member of the raccoon family.
Its genus name Potos can be confused with the strepsirrhine potto, a figure made by Play Visions.

bmathison1972

Brett's contact secured the Colorata aye-aye for me so I hope to have it when shipping resumes!

Dan B

You should this aye-aye, I do not see it in your collection. I have this one and it's pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Animal-Planet-Stuffed-Plush/264628687023?hash=item3d9d1950af:g:JPUAAOSwA3deQDoI

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on June 15, 2020, 10:25:59 PM
The Nayab figure at the bottom right is identified on the Toy Animal wiki as a kinkajou, a member of the raccoon family.
Its genus name Potos can be confused with the strepsirrhine potto, a figure made by Play Visions.

It's probably not a kinkajou though. The rest of the set is all primates. It's probably meant to be a tarsier or bush baby or something

Aye-Aye Fan

Quote from: Dan B on June 16, 2020, 01:28:20 AM
You should this aye-aye, I do not see it in your collection. I have this one and it's pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Animal-Planet-Stuffed-Plush/264628687023?hash=item3d9d1950af:g:JPUAAOSwA3deQDoI

That's a pretty cool looking Aye-Aye

Aye-Aye Fan

Oh it's a Kinkajou is it? That's odd... maybe it just fell in some green paint.

Aye-Aye Fan

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 15, 2020, 10:44:31 PM
Brett's contact secured the Colorata aye-aye for me so I hope to have it when shipping resumes!

Same for me!

sbell

Quote from: Aye-Aye Fan on June 16, 2020, 10:35:52 AM

As I said @Aye-Aye Fan , I wouldn't necessarily go with the TAI. That figure is part of an entirely primate set; the names they assign on that site are not necessarily based on anything more than guesses (just like the rest of us!). It's a constantly evolving site.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 16, 2020, 09:01:34 PM
Quote from: Aye-Aye Fan on June 16, 2020, 10:35:52 AM

As I said @Aye-Aye Fan , I wouldn't necessarily go with the TAI. That figure is part of an entirely primate set; the names they assign on that site are not necessarily based on anything more than guesses (just like the rest of us!). It's a constantly evolving site.

However, those Nayab figures were marketed as specific species, it is just that many of them do not look like what they are supposed to. I have the lesser bushbaby as it is one of the few small species that looks somewhat like it should.

stemturtle

An image of the Nayab figure was advertised on Amazon for the Montessori Animal Match, Miniature Rainforest Animals. It was named on a card as a kinkajou (honey bear).
In 1774 when first described, this species was erroneous called a primate, Lemur flavus. The next year the identification was corrected to Potos flavus, the kinkajou.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on June 16, 2020, 10:46:11 PM
An image of the Nayab figure was advertised on Amazon for the Montessori Animal Match, Miniature Rainforest Animals. It was named on a card as a kinkajou (honey bear).
In 1774 when first described, this species was erroneous called a primate, Lemur flavus. The next year the identification was corrected to Potos flavus, the kinkajou.

I never saw them that way! I first got them as random bin figures.

stemturtle

A few years ago I bought this loris on eBay. I stored it in the attic because I am not a fan of toys that are flocked to simulate hair.
My bias is superseded by our mission to show an example of each species. Let's introduce a new prosimian.

Gray slender loris, Loris lydekkerianus, (Toy Concepts), height about 2.25 in or 5.7 cm.

It is from of a set called Primates of the World . The name slender loris was provided on the collector's card, but the scientific name required research.
The limbs should be skinnier. The Toy Concepts primates lack detail and are light weight as if hollow. The date of issue is unknown, possibly about 1997. They show up on eBay infrequently.

Comparison with the slow loris by Takama shows that the slender loris is double the size of capsule toys.

stemturtle

Tarsier, unidentified species, 3D printer model, total length about 3.5 in. or 9 cm.
Infraorder Haplorrhini, family Tarsiidae.

My daughter printed this model for me in resin, and painted it. The file is free to download, but access to a 3D printer is needed.
The base is not included. The tail should be longer, about 2X the head-body length.
Link to download: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2393179 designed by Matus Danko (Meshtush), 2017.
I suspect that the designer used a Philippine tarsier, Carlito syrichta, as a model.

Comparison of 3D printer tarsier with Philippine tarsier (My Favorite Animals) and spectral tarsier (Furuta Choco Egg Series 7).

stemturtle

Sunda slow loris, Nycticebus coucang, Eikoh Miniatureplanet, length 1.6 in. or 4 cm.
EDIT: Species ID is speculative; not identified by Eikoh.

Distant cousins: Eikoh slow loris with PV potto, Perodicticus potto.

Advicot

Two wonderful figures which are both on my wishlist
Don't I take long uploading photos!