Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anurans - Frogs and Toads

Started by brontodocus, December 31, 2012, 12:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

AH common Toads. There the most common Night crawler in my home town. Every night i go for a walk during the summer, i can here them singing to each other an some make really low pitched crokes. i always tel myself self to get a Jar, and see how many of the little creatures i could catch. but i never bring myself to do so.

For a scientific model, it looks a little too obvious that its painted to me.

brontodocus

Quote from: Takama and Rex on December 11, 2014, 10:02:58 PM
AH common Toads. There the most common Night crawler in my home town. Every night i go for a walk during the summer, i can here them singing to each other an some make really low pitched crokes. i always tel myself self to get a Jar, and see how many of the little creatures i could catch. but i never bring myself to do so.

For a scientific model, it looks a little too obvious that its painted to me.
Thanks, Nathan! :) Yes, for a supplier of scientific models the paint job could have been done a lot better. :-\ This is not the same as the common American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus, by the way (though superficially similar). Bufo bufo would not be present in the United States.

Takama

Oh, so we have different species then.   Well ours and yours look similar, that a layman like me cant tell the difference .   And they are victims of Road kill here too. Though the reason is that when ever a light shines on them there instinct is to stay put.    Me an my dad took advantage of this one time and caught a few of them while they were standing in the light. However, there was another time, when i was just with my mom, and we were driving in the rain, and a whole swarm of Frogs were hopping across the road we were on. I begged her to stop so i can catch a few, but she just Drove over the poor things :(.

Nowadays the only time i see any Amphibians is when im on a walk, and i find the noisy little Toads in peoples yards. Since my dad past away i never been back to there natural habitat.   

stargatedalek

Sorry to hear that, it seems you have a lot of great memories with him.

They are indeed very similar to the species we get here, but ours are distinctively brighter in tone (more orange than brown), which seems to be something specific to our provincial population, since outside of Nova Scotia they tend to be more so brown in colour

is it just me or do the front legs seem a tad long?

brontodocus

I'm sorry to read that, too, Nathan. I have a nice story about the neighbours of my spouse's parents - they all live in a dead-end street near a forest and every year in March hundreds of Common Toads cross the street to reach their ponds for mating. The people, while not fond of toads, put up a self-made warning sign to watch out for toads crossing the road because the public services declined to do so. :)
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 11, 2014, 11:10:55 PM
Sorry to hear that, it seems you have a lot of great memories with him.

They are indeed very similar to the species we get here, but ours are distinctively brighter in tone (more orange than brown), which seems to be something specific to our provincial population, since outside of Nova Scotia they tend to be more so brown in colour

is it just me or do the front legs seem a tad long?
I guess if both species would share the same habitat they would be frequently confused with each other, they are indeed quite similar. I don't think the front legs are too long, it depends on the posture of the animal. Usually toads tuck their arms a little in and the chest touches the ground. The soft abdomen then protrudes to the sides and partially (or totally if it's a really fat anuran) conceals the upper arm (and the thigh). The photo of the living specimen shows that a large part of the upper arm is concealed. The model on the other hand has the chest lifted off the ground which makes the abdomen droop so it is less flat but narrower than when the shoulder girdle would touch the ground. Similarly, the front legs of the Kitan Club Japanese Toad (which represents a very closely related species) appear quite long, too, and this figure has its chest lifted up as well.

stargatedalek

I hadn't thought of that (*facepalms myself*), indeed that would make the legs appear longer or shorter

brontodocus

Ah, so it seems my version of the Pedostibes hosii is from 1998 then. :)

Okay, something I often wanted to do but always seemed to forget... somehow I never really brought up photos in this thread. But I have some to contribute. I'll try to arrange them more or less taxonomically. I'll start with the more primitive salientians.

†Protobatrachidae

†Triadobatrachus massinoti (Piveteau, 1936). Play Visions Prehistoric Amphibians. Length 36 mm, scale approx. 1:3. Technically this is an outgroup to the Anura but it's a member of the more inclusive Salientia.

Archaeobatrachia: Alytidae (formerly Discoglossidae)

Alytes obstetricans (Laurenti, 1768); Common Midwife Toad, male carrying eggs. 3B Scientific No. VN707. Snout-vent length approx. 39 mm, scale 1:1. Walk-around

Mesobatrachia:
Pipidae - Tongueless Frogs

Pipa pipa (Linnaeus, 1758); Surinam Toad or Star-fingered Toad. Agatsuma Entertainment. Length 44 mm, scale approx. 1: 2.3 - 1:4.3. Walk-around by stemturtle

Megophryidae - Litter Frogs

Megophrys nasuta (Schlegel, 1858); Malaysian Horned Toad. Furuta Choco Egg Funny Animals Series 7 No. 30. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:3.
I also have the (better) Yujin and Colorata versions, too, which were shown further up in the thread.

Neobatrachia:
Bufonidae - True Toads

Bufo bufo (Linnaeus, 1758); Common Toad, female. 3B Scientific No. VN708/2. Snout-vent length 72.5 mm, scale 1:1. Walk-around

Bufo japonicus japonicus Temminck & Schlegel, 1838; Japanese Common Toad. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 7. Length 68 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:2.5. The ssp. japonicus is said to have a smaller tympanum than B. j. formosus Boulenger, 1883, which was made by Yujin (photo by sauroid further up the thread, this figure has indeed a larger tympanum than the Kitan Club figure!). Walk-around

Rhinella marina (Linnaeus, 1758); formerly Bufo marinus; Cane Toad. Safari Ltd. Venomous Creatures. Length 51 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:4.5. Walk-around by tyrantqueen

cf. Bufotes or Pseudepidalea (formerly Bufo) viridis (Laurenti, 1768); European Green Toad. Nature's Wonders HD. Length 70 mm, scale roughly 1:1.

More neobatrachians to come... :)

stemturtle

Nice selection, brontodocus. Whenever I see a photo of the proto-frog Triadobatrachus, the word "darling" comes to mind. Play Visions at its best.

brontodocus

Quote from: stemturtle on December 14, 2014, 12:43:13 AM
Nice selection, brontodocus. Whenever I see a photo of the proto-frog Triadobatrachus, the word "darling" comes to mind. Play Visions at its best.
Thanks, stemturtle! Hehe, yes, it's really sweet. :) And looks like it's made of blueberry pie or something. ;D

More neobatrachians (I know, image heavy, :-[ that's why I split it up in three posts):

Ceratophryidae (Horned Frogs)

Ceratophrys cranwelli Barrio, 1980, Chacoan Horned Frog or "Pacman Frog". Above: Furuta Choco Egg Animals Series 2 No. 39, length 38 mm, scale approx. 1:3. Below: metamorphosing tadpole. Kaiyodo ChocoQ Animatales Pets Series 5 model No. 147, green variant. Length 56 mm, snout-vent length 27 mm, scale approx. 1:1. I believe both are identified as C. ornata by the manufacturer.

Ceratophrys ornata Bell, 1843; Argentinian or Ornate Horned Frog or "Ornate Pacman Frog". Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 11, length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:2.2 - 1:3.2. This indeed looks like a proper C. ornata.

Dendrobatidae - Poison Dart Frogs

Epipedobates tricolor (Boulenger, 1899); Phantasmal Poison Frog. K&M. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5.

Amereega (syn. Dendrobates) cf. bilinguis (Jungfer, 1989); Equadorian Poison Frog (other ids may be possible, too). Play Visions. Length 41 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5.

Oophaga histrionica (Berthold, 1845); Harlequin Poison Frog. Stamped "Atelopus varius" which is a bufonid with similar colours but a different body shape. Play Visions. Length 39 mm, scale roughly 1:1.

Ophaga histrionica lehmanni (Myers & Daly, 1976); Lehmann's Poison Frog. Play Visions.

Oophaga pumilio (Schmidt, 1857); Strawberry Poison Frog. Top: Bastimentos color variant. Takara Kaiyodo ChocoQ Animatales Amazing Animals! Ver. - secret figure. Length 25 mm, scale approx. 1:0.7 - 1:1. Below: Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum Toxic and Dangerous Animals model. Length 37.5 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5. The two poison dart frogs from the series (D. leucomelas, see below, and O. pumilio) are identical sculpts with different colouration.

Dendrobates leucomelas Steindachner, 1869; Vellow-banded Poison Dart Frog. Top: Furuta Choco Egg Funny Animals Series 7 model No. 29. Length 35 mm, scale approx. 1:1. Below: Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum Toxic and Dangerous Animals model. Length 37.5 mm, scale approx. 1:1.

Dendrobates cf. tinctorius (Schneider, 1799); Dyeing Poison-Arrow Frog (actually the figure's colours don't really match any dendrobatid I've seen). Nature's Wonders HD. Length 58 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 - 1:0.8.

Dendrobates tinctorius (Schneider, 1799); Dyeing Poison-Arrow Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour No. 12. Length 30 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.7.

Dendrobates tinctorius "azureus" (Hoogmoed, 1969); Blue Poison Dart Frog. K&M. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.1.

Ranitomeya fantastica (Boulenger, 1884 "1883"); Red-headed Poison Frog (Salientia: Dendrobatidae) K&M. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5.

Hylidae - Tree Frogs

This one resembles White's Treefrog, Litoria caerulea (White, 1790). Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures, scale approx. 1:1. Originally named "Fuzzy Frog" and I don't know why they coated it in fuzz (and how to get this off).

Hyla japonica Günther, 1859; Japanese Tree Frog. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 1. Length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.5. Sauroid posted the Yujin version further up in the thread.

Agalychnis callidryas (Cope, 1862); Red-eyed Tree Frog. Top: Nature's Wonders HD. Length 87 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 - 1:0.8. Middle: Furuta ChocoEgg Funny Animals Series 6 No. 07. Length 36 mm, scale approx. 1:1.4 - 1:2. Below: Safari Ltd. (they made several more figures of this species). Length 49 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5.

Dendropsophus ebraccatus (Cope, 1874); Hourglass Tree Frog. Nature's Wonders HD. Length 59 mm, scale approx. 1:0.4 - 1:0.6.

Dendropsophus leucophyllatus (Beireis, 1783). Safari Ltd. 1997. Length 62 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 - 1:0.8. Stemturtle posted the Colorata version of this species further above.

Hemiphractidae (or, in this case, alternatively Amphignathodontidae) Horned Treefrogs and (or) marsupial frogs. All were formerly united in Hylidae.

cf. Gastrotheca sp.; a Marsupial Frog. Safari Ltd.1997. Length 63 mm, scale approx. 1:1.

Flectonotus (syn. Fritziana) sp.; a dwarf marsupial frog. Extracted from a bouncy ball by an unknown manufacturer. Snout-vent length 18 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:2.

Microhylidae - Narrow-mouthed Frogs

Microhyla ornata (Duméril & Bibron, 1841); Ornate Narrow Mouthed Frog. Above: Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 6, length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1. Below: "Microhyla okinavensis Stejneger, 1901"; a junior synonym of M. ornata after Matsui et al. (2005). Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs model No. 2, length 27 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.1.

Dyscophus cf. antongilii Grandidier, 1877; Tomato Frog (Salientia: Microhylidae). K&M. Length 53 mm, scale approx. 1:2. At least that is what the figure is intended to be. The elongated glands on the back do not occur in Dyscophus and are reminscent of those in e.g. Pseudophryne and Pyxicephalus. The Colorata Dyscophus guineti stemturtle posted further up is a much better representative of a Tomato Frog.

Myobatrachidae - Australian Ground Frogs

†Rheobatrachus silus Liem, 1973; Gastric-brooding Frog or Platypus Frog. Yowies figure. Length 36 mm. Another possible  vernacular name would be "Brazilian Flag-eyed Frog" for this figure. ;D

Still more to come (Ranidae & Rhacophoridae).

stargatedalek

the safari "fuzzy frog" was re-released later as a white tree frog, I'll try and find it and snap some pics ;)

brontodocus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2014, 03:20:30 PM
the safari "fuzzy frog" was re-released later as a white tree frog, I'll try and find it and snap some pics ;)
You have one? Great! :) Please, yes, show it. Because I think I may not have seen it without fuzz before. Do you think the fuzz-free one is the younger version? When I started collecting in about 2009 the fuzzy version was still widely available.

So now the remaining ones I have (which weren't already shown in this thread):

Ranidae - True Frogs

Pelophylax kl. esculentus (Linnaeus, 1758); Edible Frog, female. 3B Scientific model. Length 84 mm, scale 1:1. Walk-around

Pelophylax porosus brevipodus (Ito, 1941); Daruma Pond Frog. Above: Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 Secret No. 2, length 32 mm, scale approx. 1:1.1 - 1:2.3. Below: Kaiyodo Kyoto Aquarium Figure Collection No. 5. Length 29 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:2.5.

Lithobates catesbeianus (Shaw, 1802); North American Bullfrog. Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures. Length approx. 125 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5. Walk-around

Rana japonica Boulenger, 1879; Japanese Brown Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 4, length 34 mm, scale approx. 1:0.9 - 1:2.2.

Rana sakuraii Matsui & Matsui, 1990; Stream Brown Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 Secret No. 3, length 29 mm, scale approx. 1:1.3 - 1:2.

Rana pirica Matsui, 1991; Ezo Brown (or Red) Frog. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 5. Length 38 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:1.9.

Conraua goliath (Boulenger, 1906); Goliath Frog. Kaiyodo Red Data Animals No. 11a (special a). Length 42 mm, scale approx. 1:4 - 1:9. Walk-around

Odorrana ishikawae (Stejneger, 1901); Ishikawa's Frog. Above: Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 3, length 35 mm, scale approx. 1:2.5 - 1:3.3. Second from above: Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 6. Length 44 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:2.6. The bottom two photos: 4d Vision Frog Anatomy by Famemaster. Length 156 mm, scale approx. 1:0.5 - 1:0.75.

cf. Ceratobatrachus guentheri Boulenger, 1884; Solomon Islands Leaf Frog. Stamped "Asian Horned Toad" which would suggest Megophrys nasuta which is never green, whereas C. guentheri is highly polymorphic and sometimes has a colouration similar to this figure. Of course, this is merely my own interpretation of the figure and it is not a 100% match. PlayVisions. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:2.

Rhacophoridae - Shrub Frogs

Rhacophorus arboreus (Okada & Kawano, 1924); Forest Green Tree Frog. From left to right: Yujin / The Frogs in Colour, length 37 mm; Kitan Club / Nature Techni Colour Frogs of Japan, length 41 mm; Furuta / Choco Egg Wild Animals Series 4, length 43 mm; Kaiyodo / Aquatales polyresin Series 2, length 54 mm. Walk-around of the Aquatales model. Quite variable in colour, aren't they?

Buergeria buergeri (Temminck & Schlegel, 1838); Kajika Frog. Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 4. Length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.5.

Buergeria japonica (Hallowell, 1861); Ryukyu Kajika Frog. Yujin The Frogs in Colour Series 1 No. 5, length 31 mm, scale approx. 1:0.8 - 1:1.2.

Edit: Forgot the 3B Scientific Female Edible Frog, d'oh! :-[ ;D

sauroid

this thread has become a rich source of information, thanks to all the contributors. :)

just to add more of my frog figures
Colorata tomato frog (hoping to get the complete boxed set someday)

Kitan club mono tree frog phone strap

PV and K&M tree frog

the rest of my Yujin frogs (i have others i havent taken pics of yet)

brontodocus

Ah, so you got all of the other Yujin frogs, too, then? One of the best frog series ever! 8) The Red-eyed Treefrog, is that one by K&M? Could it be that this one is part of a boxed rainforest set or something similar? I may have seen it before but I'm not sure.

stargatedalek

The Red-eyed Treefrog is indeed by K&M. I purchased mine as an individual figure, however it was from a liquidation store so I can't be certain this was how they were originally packaged.

brontodocus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2014, 03:20:30 PM
I made a quick google image search and actually found a picture of it. But the shot was very small. So does your figure have a brownish back? From what I could see it seems a really good figure. Now I'm even more interested in seeing larger photos of it! :)
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2014, 06:03:08 PM
The Red-eyed Treefrog is indeed by K&M. I purchased mine as an individual figure, however it was from a liquidation store so I can't be certain this was how they were originally packaged.
Ah, thanks again for the info, stargatedalek! :)

Jetoar

Amazing replica of this frog, thanks for share again  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

One of the best replica of this specie. Sometimes I have seen it in the nature  ^-^.

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on December 15, 2014, 05:24:05 PM
One of the best replica of this specie. Sometimes I have seen it in the nature  ^-^.
Many thanks, Jetoar! :) Do you have regular Bufo bufo where you live, or do you have the larger, Mediterranean Toad, B. spinosus (they should both occur in Spain but I don't know the latter's exact range at the moment)?

brontodocus

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 16, 2014, 09:42:35 AM
Thanks, Jetoar! :)

You are welcome friend, I think that this brand does one of the best replicas of anurans that I have seen  ^-^.