Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

totally jelly of that gecko ;)
nice haul!

well I have good news, but it comes with a warning
good news being my AAA monitor has finally arrived, so I can stop worrying about that
warning being don't use eBay global shipping service, the package got returned to the seller which delayed delivery by nearly a month, and thats on top of the week or so it spent at the "eBay center" each time it went through
the seller was very helpful and did an amazing job
I was panicking, I figured eBay staff had lost the package

it was certainly well worth the wait
I love everything about this figure, the detail, the pose, and even the heft, it has a real weight to it

and heres a comparison to the animal planet equivalent, AAA is smaller and more detailed (the feet on the AP lizard still make me think of zoo tycoon 2 vanilla lizard model)

brontodocus

Congrats, nice monitor figures, stargatedalek! :) I thought Animal Planet figures were made by AAA, anyways (I have the deep sea fishes and they have the typical triple A in a circle stamp AAA uses). AAA made many casts of reptiles and some are represented by more than one figure.

stargatedalek

this AP monitor doesn't have a logo of any sort on it
its the typical soft vinyl that AP still uses, its hollow with stuffing inside and a small hole on the bottom allowing it to be squeezed
and its not a mold from a specimen, as some of the details (not just the feet) show, but it could be a KO/retool of a AAA model

OkapiBoy

Quote from: brontodocus on October 04, 2014, 04:31:45 PM
I hope OkapiBoy lets us know - myself I didn't dare to backorder Favorite from HLJ, yet, so I just went for the Aquatales. But I'd love to buy quite a few Favorite figures from them, too.

So these were in the mail today:

I got all of my Favorite figure from this ebay seller
http://www.ebay.com/sch/2005yoshiki/m.html?item=161424646045&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Price is reasonable, I ordered them all since they combined shipping which really offset the price, I think I paid $27 for the shipping, which is good considering how much some of these items are going for and how much shippings are for some.

brontodocus

Ah, thanks for the info, OkapiBoy! :) Still I'm probably going to get me the Favorite figures from HLJ, the prices are even less than on Favorite's own website and I always had good experiences with them. Who knows, they may not keep them in stock unless someone places an order?

Edit:
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2014, 11:47:41 PM
its the typical soft vinyl that AP still uses, its hollow with stuffing inside and a small hole on the bottom allowing it to be squeezed
and its not a mold from a specimen, as some of the details (not just the feet) show, but it could be a KO/retool of a AAA model
Ah, okay, I thought they just had the typical AAA figures. Anyways, I wish those larger AAA reptiles were more easily available here. International shipping for a 40" monitor or the largest of their sea turtles would be out of the question. :-\

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on October 07, 2014, 10:01:44 AM
Ah, thanks for the info, OkapiBoy! :) Still I'm probably going to get me the Favorite figures from HLJ, the prices are even less than on Favorite's own website and I always had good experiences with them. Who knows, they may not keep them in stock unless someone places an order?

Edit:
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2014, 11:47:41 PM
Ah, okay, I thought they just had the typical AAA figures. Anyways, I wish those larger AAA reptiles were more easily available here. International shipping for a 40" monitor or the largest of their sea turtles would be out of the question. :-\

It looks exactly like the lizard model in my son's class (it's his teacher's lizard). And I checked; it is marked AAA, but it's very faint. It doesn't specify the species though.

stargatedalek

I scanned it again and found "Toy Major 2001" printed on it, it does however seem to have spots where previous text was covered over, presumably a retool

I haven't seen AAA retailed here in years

brontodocus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 07, 2014, 10:31:07 PM
I scanned it again and found "Toy Major 2001" printed on it, it does however seem to have spots where previous text was covered over, presumably a retool

I haven't seen AAA retailed here in years
Well, veghead.com in the U.S. still has quite a few nice AAA reptiles! :)

Got another parcel from Japan yesterday:

I'm very happy about the Kitan Club Nankyoku set, the Leopard Seal is still my favourite. Oh, and while I don't know if Blaine already has them - the CapsuleQ Museum isopod and Atlas Moth are both wonderful figures, the latter even has those characteristic translucent spots in the wings. :) Last but not least the CapsuleQ prehistoric marine reptiles which contain a giant pliosaur (Pliosaurus kevani) representing a species that was scientifically described under our admin's co-authorship! ^-^

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on October 09, 2014, 02:27:59 PM

Got another parcel from Japan yesterday:

I'm very happy about the Kitan Club Nankyoku set, the Leopard Seal is still my favourite. Oh, and while I don't know if Blaine already has them - the CapsuleQ Museum isopod and Atlas Moth are both wonderful figures, the latter even has those characteristic translucent spots in the wings. :) Last but not least the CapsuleQ prehistoric marine reptiles which contain a giant pliosaur (Pliosaurus kevani) representing a species that was scientifically described under our admin's co-authorship! ^-^

my moth and isopod are in the mail (along with a few other goodies). I will post a group pic like this once I get them. Looks like all of the Capsule Q figures in that set lived up to their expectations!

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 09, 2014, 02:59:15 PM
my moth and isopod are in the mail (along with a few other goodies). I will post a group pic like this once I get them. Looks like all of the Capsule Q figures in that set lived up to their expectations!
Thanks, Blaine! :) I hope yours arrive soon, too! By the way, I found both the isopod and Atlas Moth quite difficult to assemble. You should have some tools at hand when trying to put them together (e.g. you have to press the ventral piece of the isopod inside the body after the legs are attached which might possibly result in legs breaking off when trying to put this part in, a screwdriver helped pressing on the sternites without touching the legs). The Japalura polygonata was quite difficult, too, while the rest was very easy to assemble.

bmathison1972

Buggies for Blaine today! Two parcels in the mail today resulted in these:

1) Anomalocaris by Kinto Favorite (Prehistoric Life Soft Model). Pictures do not do this figure justice. Wow. I also bought the VERY LARGE vinyl figure but it was waaaaaaaay to big to include in this image with the others. LOL

2) ornate spiny lobster, Panulirus ornatus by Nature Techni Color. This is a new species for me; if I remember, I think of my 7-8 spiny lobster figures, they represent about 6 different spp!!!!

3) slipper lobster, Ibacus ciliatus by Epoch. This is my second figure of this species, the other being by Takara TOMY in their re-release of Yujin's Shrimps and Crabs collection (the only two figures of this species that I am aware of).

4) giant marine isopod, Bathynomus sp. by NAT (??--I was previously unfamiliar with this brand-??). It is a strap figure. BTW, there were two so I have an extra in anyone wants one. It is my fourth Bathynomus figure (2x by Kaiyodo and 1x by Safari LTD).

5) terrestrial isopod, Cubaris iriomotensis from the recently-discussed Kaiyodo CapsuleQ set. A remarkable figure and, to my knowledge, the first terrestrial isopod figure/toy.

6) atlas moth, Attacus atlas, also by Kaiyodo ChocoQ. Another amazing figure; both CapsuleQ figures were smaller than I expected. It assembled OK but the pegs don't fit in the body well and I will reinforce with glue. I think this is also a 'unique' figure (only representation in toy form).

Jetoar

Your new acquistions are awesome but, the Atlas Moth are really terrific  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Wow, great new additions, Blaine - and just when we were mentioning your isopod and Atlas Moth are on their way you receive them. :) I was considering getting both the "Soft Model" and the larger version of the Favorite Anomalocaris, too. What do you think of the latter? From photos I've seen I thought the smaller version may be better but on the other hand a foot long figure may be more impressive if it's not too toyish in appearance. By the way, I just read that Cubaris iriomotensis is considered a junior synonym of the pantropical Cubaris murina in a 2012 paper. So this may not be a representative of a species endemic to Japan.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on October 10, 2014, 01:56:42 PM
Wow, great new additions, Blaine - and just when we were mentioning your isopod and Atlas Moth are on their way you receive them. :) I was considering getting both the "Soft Model" and the larger version of the Favorite Anomalocaris, too. What do you think of the latter? From photos I've seen I thought the smaller version may be better but on the other hand a foot long figure may be more impressive if it's not too toyish in appearance. By the way, I just read that Cubaris iriomotensis is considered a junior synonym of the pantropical Cubaris murina in a 2012 paper. So this may not be a representative of a species endemic to Japan.

they are both nice but the smaller, 'soft model' is really all you need. I got both because this isn't a critter super well-represented in toy form. I think I have three others: Safari Cambrian TOOB, Kaiyodo Dinotales, and Cadbury Yowies (not including the related Laggania by ROM).

widukind

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 09, 2014, 10:31:00 PM
Buggies for Blaine today! Two parcels in the mail today resulted in these:

1) Anomalocaris by Kinto Favorite (Prehistoric Life Soft Model). Pictures do not do this figure justice. Wow. I also bought the VERY LARGE vinyl figure but it was waaaaaaaay to big to include in this image with the others. LOL

2) ornate spiny lobster, Panulirus ornatus by Nature Techni Color. This is a new species for me; if I remember, I think of my 7-8 spiny lobster figures, they represent about 6 different spp!!!!

3) slipper lobster, Ibacus ciliatus by Epoch. This is my second figure of this species, the other being by Takara TOMY in their re-release of Yujin's Shrimps and Crabs collection (the only two figures of this species that I am aware of).

4) giant marine isopod, Bathynomus sp. by NAT (??--I was previously unfamiliar with this brand-??). It is a strap figure. BTW, there were two so I have an extra in anyone wants one. It is my fourth Bathynomus figure (2x by Kaiyodo and 1x by Safari LTD).

5) terrestrial isopod, Cubaris iriomotensis from the recently-discussed Kaiyodo CapsuleQ set. A remarkable figure and, to my knowledge, the first terrestrial isopod figure/toy.

6) atlas moth, Attacus atlas, also by Kaiyodo ChocoQ. Another amazing figure; both CapsuleQ figures were smaller than I expected. It assembled OK but the pegs don't fit in the body well and I will reinforce with glue. I think this is also a 'unique' figure (only representation in toy form).

Big congrats :)

OkapiBoy

A Mojo, A Papo, and a pair of CollectA's added to my collection.
Gharial by Papo

Black Crested Macaque by Mojo

Sharks by Collecta

The group

OkapiBoy

widukind

Quote from: OkapiBoy on October 15, 2014, 01:18:17 AM
A Mojo, A Papo, and a pair of CollectA's added to my collection.
Gharial by Papo

Black Crested Macaque by Mojo

Sharks by Collecta

The group

Congrats for this lot of must haves!!

John

It's nice to see all these group pics showing all the variety of animals,sometimes even prehistoric.Very nice! ;D

stargatedalek

my Tenori Inko Collection birds showed up :3

first the cockatiels, these two are my favourites of the bunch (and also the largest)

next the budgerigars

and now the lovebirds

compared to their Kaiyodo Furuta counterparts

and heres the whole lot together

the horrible focus on my camera does not do justice to the tiny details on these wonderful little birds
the sculpts and paint apps are beautiful, and they are accurate to boot (even down to the eyes on the two albino strains!)

and just for fun heres a shot with 御坂 美琴 [Mikoto Misaka], they are definitely not in 1:14.6 scale :P