Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

^same, I hope to get around to re-painting it soon

picked up a Safari ltd beluga yesterday at salvation army, man I love thrift stores

A.Garcia

Stargatedalek, regarding the green piranha: It is part of a Wonder World set, produced by Kenner in the 1990s. It consisted of a small plastic aquarium with gravel that you would fill with clear gel (mixed from a packet). The figures could then be suspended and repositioned in the gel, along with air bubbles from a little tool. The piranha attack set had 4 of those piranhas, along with the skull and 3 bones of the supposed victim. I don't have access to mine at the moment or I would take a picture. There are pictures and information for the series here. I wish I knew how to create more of the gel- it would be great for dioramas.

That Safari giant squid also came in a solid blue eraser material, sold (presumably) alongside other Safari eraser creatures. I can remember a container full of them at the zoo gift shop, but sadly no memory of the other figures...

stargatedalek

cool, I have a shark kit (didn't see it on the site you linked, it had a great white, hammerhead, and an octopus) from the Wonder World series, but I hadn't known much about them

sbell

Quote from: A.Garcia on August 22, 2014, 08:14:01 PM
Stargatedalek, regarding the green piranha: It is part of a Wonder World set, produced by Kenner in the 1990s. It consisted of a small plastic aquarium with gravel that you would fill with clear gel (mixed from a packet). The figures could then be suspended and repositioned in the gel, along with air bubbles from a little tool. The piranha attack set had 4 of those piranhas, along with the skull and 3 bones of the supposed victim. I don't have access to mine at the moment or I would take a picture. There are pictures and information for the series here. I wish I knew how to create more of the gel- it would be great for dioramas.

That Safari giant squid also came in a solid blue eraser material, sold (presumably) alongside other Safari eraser creatures. I can remember a container full of them at the zoo gift shop, but sadly no memory of the other figures...

I had at least one piranha from that set way back, but it was colored differently. I don't remember having the whole set though.

OkapiBoy

Anna's Nyala antelope, beautiful figure.
[
with it's mate

widukind

tyrantqueen

Not a figure, but I got this book at my group today for £2.50. Front cover is a little sun damaged, but it's otherwise fine. I discovered this book is now out of print and is selling on Amazon brand new for £2000.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

A.Garcia

Tyrantqueen, that is a great discovery, with really beautiful paintings. I'd sure like to see the whole book, but it sounds like that won't be possible...

I guess I will show my recent bird art acquisition. The images are available in the public domain, but it is wonderful to have them all together, printed nicely on paper, for a great price:

(with Safari Anhinga, anxiously anticipating its future paint scheme)

These vultures have a paleoart vibe to them, I think.

:)

brontodocus

Congrats, altogether! 8) The monitor is really nice, stargatedalek. :D

I just bought a used Safari Ltd Vanishing Wild mountain display. And all my large Wildlife Wonders fit onto it (still don't have the black version Wolf)! :D

The mountain is a huge thing, some 56 cm in height and approx. 86 cm wide! :o

postsaurischian

Wow :)! They look great on that mountain. As if it was made for them. Congrats!

Jetoar

My last acquisitions:

Finally I have the sawfish ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

I like the Kaiyodo-like 'diorama pose' that CollectA did with some of their dinosaurs. I wish other (non-Japanese) companies would do stuff like this. I guess it takes away from the 'playability' and limits diorama options, but I always liked figures on logs, rocks, and other natural substrates.
Especially since I collect insects and they tend to be flatter and are better 'propped up' on something.

stargatedalek

I prefer the favorite co bases, where the animal can be removed if desired

widukind

postsaurischian

^-^  万歳 -  Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Nankyoku set  ^-^

bmathison1972

amazing Figures Helge...with Kaiyodo and Kitan Club this year I'm having a harder and harder time trying to stay taxonomically focused :) LOL

bmathison1972

OK, I have a smart phone so will be experimenting with images. Might as well do it for my latest figure, the king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) by Kaiyodo (Hokkaido Strap Set). It is a small, but nice figure. It's the small specimen on the far left below, with my other king crab figures.

From left to right:
1) Kaiyodo (Hokkaido strap set)
2) Epoch
3) Yujin (Shrimps and Crabs collection)
4) Kaiyodo (Aquatales)

widukind

Congratulations for this phantastic newcomers both!! :)

A.Garcia

Bmathison, those are nice crabs. The Yujin one looks rather large.

Postsaurischian, that set is beautiful. I don't know if I've seen it before. The penguins in the center look like they're dodging the orca! :))

I got the Safari penguin toob this summer, and a few Play Visions crabs should be on the way. Painting them could result in a sort of "do-it-yourself Kaiyodo/Kitan Club" set.

sbell

At long last, I now own and possess the Kaiyodo bottlecap Archerfish and Piranha. Pics, probably walkarounds, to come.