News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: callmejoe3 on March 30, 2023, 10:34:19 PM

My Papo right whale just arrived. It's great, though quite a bit smaller in person than what I imagined. My expectations was something about the size of the old Schleich figure or smaller than the Safari Bowhead. This is closer in size to the MBA calves.

I was going to have this one represent the southern, with Safari representing the northern, until I realized how small it would be!

JimoAi

my latest haul: The safari LTd Patagotitan, which would be databased as a Dreadnoughthous and be the last dinosaur I'll acquire for a while, The CollectA Boto which I find a little too gray compared to the promo pics and my copy has this tag string sort of cut into the figure a little bit, the beautiful CollectA goblin shark which is longer but lighter than my Schleich Great white and will be added as an exceptionally sized individual and currently is a runner up for my favourite figure of the year. The hard to find Kaiyodo American lobster which costs more than everything here combined!

Bought these daiso glow in the dark deep sea life bath bomb figures out of impulse and I'm surprised at the quality of these and the Clione is good enough to make it in to my main collection, though it smells like oranges.

EpicRaptorMan

Got the Mojo Pronghorn thanks to bmathison1972. Will undergo a slightly repaint to better the face for sure.

Isidro

JimoAi, I got sooo envious hehe. I'm wating for the boto to be available soon and you know I wish that lobster like mad haha :D
I'm surprised that plastic figurines are orange-flavored :D I see you have a pair of each. The footballfish looks like decently enough small for me, smaller than the painted Kaiyodo/Colorata/Takara versions. How I can get one?

EpicRaptorMan, wise purchase! I also repainted mine of course, plus sharpened a bit the horn tips. You can get somewhat inspired by my figure if you want:

pronghorn.jpg

EpicRaptorMan

@Isidro appreciate the inspire. To make it simpler for me I'm only going to adjust/paint using whites, blacks, and dark browns. Less is more I always say.

The Pronghorn has been a favorite of North American fauna ever since I saw the episode "Born to Run" on Marty Stouffer's Wild America. ^_^

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on March 31, 2023, 07:16:22 AMJimoAi, I got sooo envious hehe. I'm wating for the boto to be available soon and you know I wish that lobster like mad haha :D
I'm surprised that plastic figurines are orange-flavored :D I see you have a pair of each. The footballfish looks like decently enough small for me, smaller than the painted Kaiyodo/Colorata/Takara versions. How I can get one?

EpicRaptorMan, wise purchase! I also repainted mine of course, plus sharpened a bit the horn tips. You can get somewhat inspired by my figure if you want:

pronghorn.jpg

I guess u can get them from mercari or other third party sites?

NSD Bashe

Quote from: JimoAi on March 31, 2023, 06:54:02 AMBought these daiso glow in the dark deep sea life bath bomb figures out of impulse and I'm surprised at the quality of these and the Clione is good enough to make it in to my main collection, though it smells like oranges.

Ohhh that's what those were...  that's actually a completely different deep sea bath bomb set than I was thinking when you mentioned them before, although I think I've seen these as well, but had no idea what they were because the listing was all in Japanese.  So I'm curious, what sort of material are they, like plastic figures from inside a bath bomb, or are the figures themselves designed so they would dissolve in water?

JimoAi

Quote from: NSD Bashe on March 31, 2023, 08:31:55 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on March 31, 2023, 06:54:02 AMBought these daiso glow in the dark deep sea life bath bomb figures out of impulse and I'm surprised at the quality of these and the Clione is good enough to make it in to my main collection, though it smells like oranges.

Ohhh that's what those were...  that's actually a completely different deep sea bath bomb set than I was thinking when you mentioned them before, although I think I've seen these as well, but had no idea what they were because the listing was all in Japanese.  So I'm curious, what sort of material are they, like plastic figures from inside a bath bomb, or are the figures themselves designed so they would dissolve in water?
they're similar to Schleich figures

SerAndrew

TNG stegodon received. Its gorgeous.

I'll update my collection topic next week with new video and close ups of the new extinct proboscis + early perisso set up

Fembrogon

I made an unusual impulse buy the other day: one of Hasbro's G.I. Joe Classified sets, featuring "Croc Master and Fiona". I'm not interested in the G.I. Joe franchise, but after seeing photos of Fiona with some other critters, I felt compelled to get one. Amusingly, Amazon had a listing for the complete, like new set for the same going price as Fiona by her lonesome on eBay.

Fiona is, indeed, a very cool action figure for the price. Croc Master is fine, too, I guess.

NSD Bashe

Finally...  I have obtained my other "holy grail" figure.  Behold:  The Discovery Channel Bio Beams anglerfish! 

biobeamsfootballfish.jpg

Sadly the little ball is missing from the end of its lure, but unlike most anglerfish figures seems to have been a separately molded piece I can fairly easily mend by finding another tiny ball to stick in there.  Normally I wouldn't modify a toy figure but in this case it's just a simple fix (and I think hardly anyone would notice the difference anyway  ;) ).  So aside from that, mission complete here   ;D

EpicRaptorMan

Papo — Impala acquired. It's a tad larger than I anticipated as I was hoping it was would be a tad smaller than my CollectA Hirola

EpicRaptorMan

Picked up a cuttlefish from AliExpress. Overall I very pleased with dimensions, sculpt, and paint.

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on April 17, 2023, 07:46:34 PMPicked up a cuttlefish from AliExpress. Overall I very pleased with dimensions, sculpt, and paint.

which one? The Bullyland cuttlefish is on my wishlist

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 17, 2023, 07:48:02 PM
Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on April 17, 2023, 07:46:34 PMPicked up a cuttlefish from AliExpress. Overall I very pleased with dimensions, sculpt, and paint.

which one? The Bullyland cuttlefish is on my wishlist
The Bullyland looks nice. But it's this one.
The mantle is hard and partially transparent. The tentacles are softer and the inner most tentacles (the pair used to strike with are the softest). A siphon is present as well underneath.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOuIdbw

It should be no.3

SerAndrew

PNSO beluga added as replacement for Papo.
Scale in my cetaceans shelves is messed up, but at least beluga and narwhal have to fit, and Papo was too small to fit with the CollectA nawhal. This one is perfect and the sculpt quality is far superior + is gorgeous

JimoAi

Quote from: SerAndrew on April 18, 2023, 10:58:17 AMPNSO beluga added as replacement for Papo.
Scale in my cetaceans shelves is messed up, but at least beluga and narwhal have to fit, and Papo was too small to fit with the CollectA nawhal. This one is perfect and the sculpt quality is far superior + is gorgeous

looks to be a adult while the Papo is a juvenile/subadult

EpicRaptorMan

HappyHen order came today.

-Schleich Thomson's Gazelle (25% larger than the old female gazelle, paintjob is inaccurate)
-Papo Flying Squirrel (nice)
-Papo Andean Condor (nice, bigger and heavier than anticipated)
-Papo Seahorse (maybe replace my Schleich one I worked so hard on getting (?))
-Schleich Caracal adult (tbh better than I was expecting)
-CollectA Thorny Devil (amazing quality, wasn't even interested in buying it initially but well worth)

JimoAi

Just finished watching the Super Mario Bros movie and despite not being a Super Mario fan, I've really enjoyed it! Whilst at the same mall, they had an array of gashapon and whilst I love to take a look of them, I don't normally buy them as they're mostly weird stylised Japanese gacha of anime related, Bootleg Genshin Impact and the occasional animal, though often stylised and I was pleasantly surprised to see the T-Arts turtle gachapon set being sold. I was wondering: What is a Yujin/Takara Tomy doing in a mall in the 2020s? I decided to give it a try using some spare change as I wanted the green turtle and after using the spare change I resorted to withdrawing cash from my bank as I don't normally carry physical cash nowadays. The gachapon are had a deal where you'll get an extra 20% of tokens if u spend upwards of $10 (all currency mentioned will be in SGD) and since each capsule is 4 tokens, a $10 note would get me 3 turtles. my spendings went up from $10 to $20 and I didn't get the Green turtle and at the $40 mark, since I've gotten more than half of the line up, I got really hooked and decided that I want the entire set. I think I got the Green turtle in the 70-80 range and at that point I was missing 3 or 4 others, particularly the giant tortoise, Red eared slider, Hawksbill and Kemp's Ridley. I spent another $60 getting the remaining and the hawksbill only appearing at the tail end of the $60 with all but the Kemps Ridley being obtained. I've exchanged a total of $70 worth of tickets and I've another $10 worth of tickets left so I've decided to use them on the very gachapon machine to try my luck further and all I got was duplicates, with the most common being the alligator snapping turtle, with 6 copies in total and the hawksbill and southern pond turtle having only 1 each. Anyways I don't regret spending $150 on the 45 turtle gashapons as the last time I've tried one of the Yujin sculpts/T-Arts rereleases gacha was at least 15 years ago and I was only able to get one then whilst today I could get this many in the attempt to complete the set. I was also aware that I could get the entire set for cheaper online but it wouldn't be as fun as hunting them in the gachapon machine

bmathison1972

That's awesome, @JimoAi - that's a nice set to have!

Here are my latest, bought from our good friends at @HappyHen - the Safari 2023 Majungasaurus, Schleich 2023 Galloway cow, and the Safari IC frogfish.

The last two were bought after blog reviews by @Gwangi - that Galloway cow is especially nice! My 15th (or so) cattle breed! Promo pics do NOT do it justice!