News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

]
For my animal figures, I got the pnso therizinosaurus, a replacement kaiyodo clownfish, Safari LTD salmon shark with unfortunately damaged caudal fin, will have to get a replacement Sooner or later, botm 1/18 Velociraptor and the pretty devisive papo narwhal. I feel the sculpt is strong on the figure but the paint is v lack luster especially the tusk. Will need a repaint for that one. @callmejoe3 wanna share your thoughts?

Got a bunch of convention nonsense and some pokemon figures: Kanto scale world set 3 and the plamo Gyarados

bmathison1972

Today I got the Safari Sahara Desert TOOB for the three figures in it I really wanted. Also got their goliath grouper (glad I did, too!!!). Having these figures in-hand, I think I am more excited for the grouper LOL

bmathison1972

Bought some diorama supplies on eBay. The seller said he was making an R2D2/Endor diorama but due to time constraints, abandoned the project. It comes with a 3D mat with soil and moss, the backdrop of a forest scene, a loose piece of driftwood, extra moss and ferns, and project glue. This will be good for forest/rainforest animals in my daily Museum post and blogposts

JVM

I just got a Toob shipment including original Desert, Sahara Desert, Asian Animals, Venomous Creatures and River.

I was not prepared for the hefty size of the Venomous creatures -- I initially bought it for the Komodo Dragon, Toad and Cobra and they are twice the size of most of my other toob animals! It's a great little toy but also keeps it from scratching the 'itch' I hoped for within the greater toob collection. The panda is also bigger but I have some older small ones, so the new one is a welcome improvement but I can choose how/which to display. I know it sounds silly to care about scale, I'm not a stickler about it, but it's more than twice the size of an elephant!

There are too many cool new animals to count, and the Asian and Sahara animals seem especially detailed.

My eyes are next on Nature, Great Lakes and Exotic Birds, and after that I may pivot to some of the cetecean and ocean toobs I don't have.

JimoAi

Quote from: JimoAi on May 01, 2022, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: Isidro on April 30, 2022, 08:59:03 PMMy newest additions, again by exchange with my friend @RtasVadumee

My yellow sponge was a success and he asked for another one for a friend. In exchange he sent me this stupendous ELECTRIC EEL (Electrophorus electricus) by Kaiyodo, it was in my wishlist.

Unfortunately the sponge resulted way smaller than the previous one so I'm doing a third one. I always had problems with doing correct sizes for my own models, as you may remember from other models I did.

But the electric eel is fabulous. Very well sculpted, with the ondulating anal fin, the flattened head, the tiny eyes and the rows of electric pores just in the perfect position, not to mention a totally accurate paintjob.

anguila1.jpg
anguila2.jpg

Here with my other eel, the ribbon moray (tough as you know, electric eels are not eels).
anguila3.jpg

And here, my Amazonian fishes growing, now one more member welcome to the family :)
anguila4.jpg
I just realized the electric eel is too small for me with the comparison with the arapaima
What's the length of the electric eel along the curve btw? I feel they scale well s there's 3 distinct species of electric eels, albeit with very minor anatomical differences with the smallest growing to 149cm and the largest 250cm

Isidro

I don't have tools for measure lenghts along curves, but moving slowly the figure along the border of a ruler I can get an approximate measurement. I did it twice, first measurement resulted in a 85 mm figure, second one in a 83 mm figure. For me it works finely at scale with my other figures, for the only species of the monotypic genus Electrophorus.

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on January 14, 2023, 12:26:22 PMI don't have tools for measure lenghts along curves, but moving slowly the figure along the border of a ruler I can get an approximate measurement. I did it twice, first measurement resulted in a 85 mm figure, second one in a 83 mm figure. For me it works finely at scale with my other figures, for the only species of the monotypic genus Electrophorus.

Good enough! Thanks! Eagerly waiting mine!

bmathison1972

So, a while back, the Yowie Graeff's sea cucumber came up for my daily Museum post. As I was preparing the post, I noticed my figure wasn't complete! I postponed posting it until I can replace it. I found one on eBay from Australia, but the shipping was much more than the figure. I waited a bit and found 9 other things from the seller, to justify the shipping. So, today, I received these Yowies:

1. bluestreak cleaner wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus
2. Strepsodus sp. ('Ducabrook Rhizodont')
3. ornate ghost pipefish, Solenostomus paradoxus
4. Siderops kehli
5. ring-tailed gecko, Ceratodactylus louisiadensis
6. golden-shouldered parrot, Psephotellus chrysopterygius
7. Graeffe's sea cucumber, Pearsonothuria graeffei
8. Murgon bat, Australonycteris clarkae
9. stripe-faced dunnart, Sminthopsis macroura
10. Steropodon galmani

Now that I have the sea cucumber, it will be in the Museum on Thursday :)

endogenylove

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 18, 2023, 12:01:22 AMSo, a while back, the Yowie Graeff's sea cucumber came up for my daily Museum post. As I was preparing the post, I noticed my figure wasn't complete! I postponed posting it until I can replace it. I found one on eBay from Australia, but the shipping was much more than the figure. I waited a bit and found 9 other things from the seller, to justify the shipping. So, today, I received these Yowies:

1. bluestreak cleaner wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus
2. Strepsodus sp. ('Ducabrook Rhizodont')
3. ornate ghost pipefish, Solenostomus paradoxus
4. Siderops kehli
5. ring-tailed gecko, Ceratodactylus louisiadensis
6. golden-shouldered parrot, Psephotellus chrysopterygius
7. Graeffe's sea cucumber, Pearsonothuria graeffei
8. Murgon bat, Australonycteris clarkae
9. stripe-faced dunnart, Sminthopsis macroura
10. Steropodon galmani

Now that I have the sea cucumber, it will be in the Museum on Thursday :)

Wonderful additions! I have the dunnart, parrot, and gecko along with others from the series but I still miss the wrasse and pipefish.
Always looking for new species...

Isidro

This last trade take me ages, but finally I've finished it. I think it was September when my friend @RtasVadumee purposed me to exchange a homemade model, an angelshark, by two branded ones, Mojo hyena and Kaiyodo yellow-eyed penguin. I have almost zero free time lately, since my relationship takes most of my time. I took eons to finish a relatively easy to built model, as it's an angelshark. I did it first too small for my custom, and I had to restart another bigger one. I think the sculpt paste shrink a bit during drying. I was a bit shocked when just the next day after I've finished and painted the homemade angelshark, CollectA just announced the release of a future angelshark. But Rtas was loyal to his promise and accepted mine in exchange of the figures. I also took eons to present here the penguin and hyena, because I want to customize the hyena and this also took me a lot of time, as I was always busy: the job, the family, the relationship and my other hobbies always went before the hyena custom.

Buf finally, here are the figures!

This is the angelshark I did for RtasVadumee. I was especially proud of the paintjob, and I saw the CollectA one at least do not have this nice pattern. But the much more dynamic position of the CollectA one is tempting. However as the Rtas's collection is not strictly synoptic he can take both if he wants.

Angelote 1.jpg
Angelote 2.jpg

Here the angelshark compared with my torpedo ray and CollectA sawfish:
Angelote 3.jpg

Then comes the penguin. It's a figure with a base, and I'm not a fan of bases and the penguin's feet position makes impossible to display it without a base, but I accepted that for this figurine. The sculpt is a bit simple (just smooth), but the eyes are wonderfully painted and the head paintjob is unbeatable. It's my favourite species of penguin.

pinguino 4.jpg
Pinguino 1.jpg

Here with my Adelie penguin that comes from the same set, the Kaiyodo "Penguins Lunch":
pinguino 3.jpg   

Isidro

And here comes the Mojo Fun spotted hyena. I think it's the best spotted hyena figurine available. I love the gentle facial expression. The figure don't keep the four legs in the ground, either right foreleg or left hindleg keeps always lifted, but that's not a big problem.

Hiena 1.jpg
Hiena 2.jpg
Hiena 3.jpg

Here compared with my CollectA striped hyena. The spotted one lies slightly in the big side but is not too noteworthy big.
Hiena 4.jpg

And here, once customized:
Hiena remake 3.jpg   

bmathison1972

Sculpt-wise, that is an excellent hyena; I wish Mojo put as much effort into their paint jobs as they did the sculpts :-/

JimoAi

Acquired the papo leopard shark! A review is due soon!
https://postimg.cc/4HJvMbyY

bmathison1972

Got this today, the Caucasus beetle (Chalocosoma chiron) by AAA. I didn't know the existence of this figure until someone on STS recently posted it! I was able to find one on eBay out of Spain. This has become a go-to species for Japanese manufacturers, and I wouldn't buy one today from Japan, but for an older AAA figure, I wanted to have it. At about 11 cm, it's in 1:1 scale (wonder if it was cast from an actual specimen, like some of their reptiles, crustaceans, and mollusks). BTW, speaking of their reptiles, this figure is mis-marked like several AAA reptiles. It's stamped 'Hercules beetle', which implies a member of the genus Dynastes :)

NSD Bashe

oh wow I think I had that same figure when I was a kid...

bmathison1972

Due to the timing of some releases, I have several things coming. I'll be active on Recent Acquisitions for the next week or so!

Next up! Tropical Fish by Maia & Borges (2012). I didn't get these figures for a while because of their size (roughly 8-9 cm), but after getting the Safari Ltd. Marsh & Associates Arizona Fish, what's a little scale discrepancy for quality? :). Five of these species are new for me, and the one I have (yellow longnose butterfly fish) will replace my current Yujin version so I can have a complete set. These figures were first produced by M&B for Schleich in 2001. They were retired by Schleich in 2002 and (I think) released by M&B in 2002 or 2003. At some point, those were retired and then they were reissued by M&B in 2012. I am pretty sure mine are from the 2012 release.

The line-up:

threadfin butterflyfish, Chaetodon auriga
lined butterflyfish, Chaetodon lineolatus
raccoon butterflyfish, Chaetodon lunula
mailed butterflyfish, Chaetodon reticulatus
yellow longnose butterflyfish (or forcipfish, Forcipiger flavissimus)
royal angelfish, Pygoplites diacanthus

The most frequently mad of these is the yellow longnose butterfly fish, which has been made produced at least six times. The threadfin butterflyfish was made by Club Earth (whose sculpt was later used by Animal Planet). Otherwise, I believe the lined butterflyfish, raccoon butterflyfish, mailed butterflyfish, and royal angelfish are unique, at least as sculpts.

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 24, 2023, 11:13:35 PMDue to the timing of some releases, I have several things coming. I'll be active on Recent Acquisitions for the next week or so!

Next up! Tropical Fish by Maia & Borges (2012). I didn't get these figures for a while because of their size (roughly 8-9 cm), but after getting the Safari Ltd. Marsh & Associates Arizona Fish, what's a little scale discrepancy for quality? :). Five of these species are new for me, and the one I have (yellow longnose butterfly fish) will replace my current Yujin version so I can have a complete set. These figures were first produced by M&B for Schleich in 2001. They were retired by Schleich in 2002 and (I think) released by M&B in 2002 or 2003. At some point, those were retired and then they were reissued by M&B in 2012. I am pretty sure mine are from the 2012 release.

The line-up:

threadfin butterflyfish, Chaetodon auriga
lined butterflyfish, Chaetodon lineolatus
raccoon butterflyfish, Chaetodon lunula
mailed butterflyfish, Chaetodon reticulatus
yellow longnose butterflyfish (or forcipfish, Forcipiger flavissimus)
royal angelfish, Pygoplites diacanthus

The most frequently mad of these is the yellow longnose butterfly fish, which has been made produced at least six times. The threadfin butterflyfish was made by Club Earth (whose sculpt was later used by Animal Planet). Otherwise, I believe the lined butterflyfish, raccoon butterflyfish, mailed butterflyfish, and royal angelfish are unique, at least as sculpts.

The threadfin butterfly was also made by kaiyodo for the aquarium series

bmathison1972

Thanks. I am not surprised the others were not all unique. I suspect the royal angelfish has been made too, just not sure by whom.

bmathison1972

A couple more boxes of goodies.

First, the recent Deinosuchus hatcheri (with Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis prey), form 'Estuary' by Rebor:

Next three figures from Yell's Channel Crocodile Gacha Gacha set influenced by a YouTuber. I got the tiger salamander, Call duck, and African spurred tortoise:

Lastly three of the four figures in SO-TA's 1/1 Goliath Beetle collection; I didn't get the G. goliathus because Bandai is producing a different subspecies in the next month or so, and I'll save space (and money) for that variant. These require assembly and they do NOT hold together well!

And lastly, I got figures from Bandai's Diversity of Life on Earth collections from Ants and Caterpillars Vol. 2. I will post those in the DoLoE thread after I get them assembled!

EpicRaptorMan

- Safari Ltd Serval (looks way better than I thought, glad I got it, the promotional pics don't do it justice)

- Papo Common Dolphin (to replace my Mojo)

- CollectA Emperor Penguin chicks

- Schleich Chameleon 2022

- Schleich Harpy Eagle 2022 (to replace my  Safari Ltd)

- CollectA Dama Gazelle...another one im glad I got. Promotional pics didn't look too good and the size seemed too big, but both were fine

- Papo Chamois. Would prefer if it was a bit smaller but might lose my chance in the future.

- Schleich Otter 2022 (may replace my Papo otter of same size)

- CollectA Spotted Seal (just need to repaint another ribbon seal and wait for a brand to make a hooded seal and my pinnipeds will be set)

- Papo Equatorial Blue Frog (matches my golden dart frog)