News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Got my 1st shot the week before and some stuff too.
Skipping the non animal related: Butters from south park and Yoshiko and Dia Kuji figures, I did acquire the epoch common lobster which I thought I wouldn't in a million years, a toob crocodile shark from safari, kaiyodo carp, pnso theropods and free mini baryonyx which coincidentally are all 4 of my favourite theropods, safari ltd thresher shark, Takara Tomy mata maga and Takara Tomy eurypterid @Halichoeres and @bmathison1972 I'll need ur help with the ID of the eurypterid IMG_20210623_222633_2_50.jpg

bmathison1972

Based on tail morphology, the eurypterid is most-certainly Acutiramus. I discussed it on the DTB here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4355.msg283807#msg283807

Isidro

Nice, I have the matamata so I can calculate the remaining figures based on it. I would not mind having that carp.

You forgot to mention in the text the blue starfish

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on June 24, 2021, 04:18:00 PM
Nice, I have the matamata so I can calculate the remaining figures based on it. I would not mind having that carp.

You forgot to mention in the text the blue starfish

The starfish looks like Linckia laevigata from the Safari Coral Reef TOOB (or a knockoff or copy of it)

callmejoe3

Okay, not all of the stuff I've recently ordered made it yet, but here's what I have now.

I got the Safari Whitetip, Sand tiger, and pelagic thresher sharks. I also got the pretty big Incredible creatures Sally Lightfoot crab

And since  @bmathison1972 was interested, I included a size comparison between the pelagic thresher and the MBA bigeye thresher.

bmathison1972

Thanks callmejoe3; a little too big for me for now :)

bmathison1972

Three recent figures acquired by trade:

Eurasian coot courtesy of @Birdsage and the Play Visions pubic louse and K&M crown-of-thorns starfish courtesy of STS member NMR_OKapi

Those of you who know me know I am a professional parasitologist and medical entomologist, and this pubic louse has long been the last figure I need in the PV Ectoparasites set! A Holy Grail collection complete!

Isidro

Congrats, overall for the pubic louse. Getting a holy grail in a collection is not something that happens everyday!

stemturtle

Congratulations @bmathison1972 for finding the PV publc louse.
The longer the hunt, the greater the thrill of success.  :)

JimoAi

Quote from: stemturtle on June 28, 2021, 02:53:09 PM
Congratulations @bmathison1972 for finding the PV public louse.
The longer the hunt, the greater the thrill of success.  :)
That's how I felt finding the Yujin Saltwater fish at a great price and the safari eagle ray

callmejoe3

I got this earlier last week but procrastinated on posting it. Here's the Papo Leatherback

Isidro

Congrats, it's the one I have (just before being retired) and in my opinion is the best leatherback in figure form.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Isidro on June 30, 2021, 09:13:47 AM
Congrats, it's the one I have (just before being retired) and in my opinion is the best leatherback in figure form.

Agreed.

JimoAi

Got one of my most anticipated figures of this year: Kaiyodo's Xingu river ray. Bought the whole set just for the ray. The rest are too big and incompatible with what I collect so I'll probs turn them into mini dioramas. Still waiting for collectA's Xiphactinus

IMG_20210702_082602.jpg

Isidro

Could you provide images of this river ray compared with the Safari LTD spotted eagle ray that you have?

JimoAi

Isidro

Thanks a lot JimoAi!
In your new picture I notice that the tail look like a bit too short and flat.

bmathison1972

Some random figures to fill in more species gaps:

1. Japanese robin, Larvivora akahige (Kaiyodo)
2. Copepteryx hexeris (Kaiyodo)
3. Japanese bush warbler, Horornis diphone (Kaiyodo)
4. Paranthropus boisei (scales fairly well with the Safari Ltd. Australopithecus afarensis)
5. Japanese white-eye, Zosterops japonicus (Eikoh)
6. yellow goosefish, Lophius litulon (Eikoh)
7. Eurasian bullfinch, Pyrrhula pyrrhula (K&M International)

I also ordered the Kaiyodo Gigantura, but the seller sent the wrong figure, so I'll have to wait a week for that one to come in.

bmathison1972

Some new releases from Japan:

First, the giant Devil's flower mantid, Idolomantis diabolica by Bandai Spirits. It comes assembled and is not articulated. It comes with a clear base for support, but stands fine without it:

Next, the five Desktop Models by Bandai Spirits, released with the previous mantid:
1. Allomyrina dichotoma, pupa
2. Allomyrina dichotoma, larva (this is the freshly-molted version of the one from last year)
3. Papilio xuthus, larva (similar to last year's, but has an extended osmeterium and comes with a plastic leaf to sit on)
4. Allotopus rosenbergi
5. Graptopsaltria nigrofasciata, nymphal exuvia (similar to last year's but darker and with darker eyes; maybe this is the nymph itself and not the exuvia?!?!)

Lastly, the Bandai 'Rubber Ducky' isopod. I'll save unraveling it for when I review it on the Blog in upcoming weeks:

Gwangi

An amazing haul, as usual. These Japanese arthropods never fail to impress. I wish western companies would do stuff like this.