News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

@bmathison1972 thank you! I had indeed been curious about the dragonfly nymph. That's an incredibly cool set.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on April 05, 2021, 10:20:11 PM
3. Wolverine, Gulo gulo, by Schleich. Just perfect in all senses.

gulo1.jpg
gulo2.jpg

All my mustelids for now:
gulo3.jpg

I think Mr. Wolverine that you're crazy if you think you can fight against a healthy big male reindeer like me...
gulo4.jpg

4. The spotted eagle ray, Aetobatus narinari, from Safari LTD. Obviously this one was bought just for repaint it, that I will do in next days.
narinari1.jpg
narinari2.jpg

All my rays:
narinari3.jpg
@Isidro what's the finspan of the spotted eagle ray? Thanks!

Isidro

9 centimeters. (Fins are a bit curved upwards, probably if flat the ray could reach 10 cm)

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on May 10, 2021, 11:42:04 AM
9 centimeters. (Fins are a bit curved upwards, probably if flat the ray could reach 10 cm)
Thanks a bunch

JimoAi

Got a sizable haul today but will update in a week when my 2nd package arrives

bmathison1972

A few Japanese figures representing new taxa:

1. Aldabra tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea) by Colorata. I was using the Papo Galapagos as a stand-in (since it has a nuchal scute), but wanted a figure specifically marketed as an Aldabra. Besides, this one scales a little better with the newest Schleich Galapagos tortoise, which is the representative for that species in my collection.
2. bull-headed shrike (Lanius bucephalus) by Furuta
3. rough snailfish (Careproctus trachysoma) by Kaiyodo
4. common fangtooth (ogrefish) (Anoplogaster cornuta) by Kaiyodo
5. banded bullfrog (Kaloula pulchra) by Yujin
6. tadpole whiptail (Squalogadus modificatus) by Kaiyodo

Isidro

I always liked the Kaiyodo fangtooth, but I fear it must be a little oversized compared with most of my fishes.
That Aldabra tortoise is good, tough very shiny!
Squalogadus is a genus that I didn't was aware of previously! :D

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on May 18, 2021, 07:57:29 AM
I always liked the Kaiyodo fangtooth, but I fear it must be a little oversized compared with most of my fishes.
That Aldabra tortoise is good, tough very shiny!
Squalogadus is a genus that I didn't was aware of previously! :D
The Fangtooth is about 1:4 scale

Isidro

Thanks! Definitely out of my range acceptance :D

dinocat62

Who made the birds? Really like the rockfowl!

Isidro

Looks like your question is a bit out of context? The only bird that I see added here recently is the Furuta Chocoegg shrike!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on May 20, 2021, 07:48:49 AM
Looks like your question is a bit out of context? The only bird that I see added here recently is the Furuta Chocoegg shrike!

I was a bit confused, too

JimoAi

And a number of fishes too!

Isidro

Latest additions:

1. Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx) by Papo. I knew that if I ever get an Eurasian lynx it would be the Papo one. It have good size, nearly perfect sculpt and very good paintjob. The only flare is that it's a bit glossy.
lince1.jpg

Eyes are painted with different colours in globe and iris. Not sure if the effect is more realistic or by the contrary it males less plausible one. Anyway is a tiny and hard to see detail.
lince2.jpg

The other side shows better the longer belly fur, very well done in this figure.
lince3.jpg

Definitely a male. Feline figures don't show genitals usually and most are genderless.
lince4.jpg

The detail of the paws is superb!!
lince5.jpg

Of course, my comparison subject has to be the Mojo Fun iberian lynx. Papo lynx is slightly bigger and more robust, also with a bit thicker legs. I think that that's ideal because follows the Bergmann's rule, Iberian lynxes are indeed slightly smaller than most Eurasian lynxes.
lince6.jpg

These two started friendship easily, and here we see them planning next hunt trip together.
lince7.jpg

Welcome to my forest Mr. Lynx. We will live in peace with each other. You have plenty of squirrels and hares so you can have a comfortable life. But I warn you: if one of my piglets got harmed by you, I will kill you, promise!
lince8.jpg

Isidro

2. The new Proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus) from Schleich, released in 2021. I always avoided Mojo Fun proboscis monkey despite being better, because it was very big. This one is much smaller and now it roams in the swamp:

nasico1.jpg

The eyes are like black dots... giving him a surprised appareance
nasico2.jpg

nasico3.jpg

Proboscis monkey have an intermediate size between mandrill and Sulawesi black macaque, being closer to mandrill. So all is fine in this image, right? :P
nasico4.jpg

But at least it fits perfectly with the absolute reference in animal figurine size  >:D the Diana monkey!
nasico5.jpg

Here with some other Bornean friends:
nasico6.jpg

Koifish

So, this is a few weeks worth of recent aquisitions.

I picked these up at my local zoo gift shop; all but one of them are Schleich. They used to carry just Safari, and was hoping that was what I would find. Well, it had been a few years since I visited, and the Roadrunner was the only Safari figure they had, which was on clearance. Not sure what that means. Safari figures are becoming harder and harder for me to find in the wild. The rest I picked up were the red deer, cheetah, spotted hyena, baby tiger, baby Asian elephant, red fox, slender seahorse, and boar.

Next up is the Schleich Diabloceratops that I picked up at a science museum next door. I remember being interested in this particular one when I saw it online a few years back, but had forgotten about it. Really eager to put it with my herd of other ceratopsids (they are in a box currently).

This Sri Lankan green vine snake by Yowie I randomly pulled from a Yowie egg the other day.

So... I now kinda have two Przewalski's horses, which was unintentional. I originally bought the Schleich one off ebay, however USPS actually delivered it to the wrong address. I was worried I wouldn't ever see it, so I ordered the Collecta one. Well, the Schleich one eventually showed up on my doorstep, so there's that.

Peré David's deer I ordered from Happy Hen Toys. I really love this species, my zoo had a couple females at one time, but one passed away from old age.

From Amazon: griffon vulture (Papo), Komodo dragon (Papo), African serval (Safari ltd), vaquita (Safari ltd).

New additions from a local toy store that carries lots of neat stuff, including Schleich; it's actually the very same store my parents took me to where I got my Club Earth extinct animals from in the mid-90s. Hippo cow and calf (Schleich); snow leopard (Schleich), Indian rhino (Schleich). Went with this snow leopard as I'm hesitant to get anything Papo right now due to the stories of paint quality in currently produced figures (though the vulture and komodo dragon I got seemed fine). Kicking myself for not getting the Collecta hippo, will probably still get it anyway. Same with the rhino, would rather have had the Safari one, will still get it at some point.

Some pickups from my local Michael's, the only place I know of that carries strictly Safari ltd: bald eagle, snowy owl, greater Pacific octopus, and panda cub (to go with my adult). Besides the octopus, which I'm not sure of, the owl, eagle, and panda cub I believe are all Doug Watson's sculpts :)

South American tapir I orderd from Amazon; I actually didn't know this was an older version, and that a more appropriate brown version is currently out, so that one is coming today. So my question is, would this particular one make a good Kabomani tapir?
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

Isidro

Congrats for your new additions!
Yes, there are issues with Papo's snow leopard paintjob, but still even with a poor paintjob is infinitely better than the Schleich latest snow leopard in paintjob terms.

The Mojo tapir is indeed the old version, that despite being more grey than desirable, I consider better than the newer version in paintjob terms.

JimoAi

Some pickups from my local Michael's, the only place I know of that carries strictly Safari ltd: bald eagle, snowy owl, greater Pacific octopus, and panda cub (to go with my adult). Besides the octopus, which I'm not sure of, the owl, eagle, and panda cub I believe are all Doug Watson's sculpts :)

Is it just me or are the octopus eyes too far up?

Koifish

This little brown-throated sloth I pulled from a Yowie egg. I love that it's green  ;D

Quote from: JimoAi on May 25, 2021, 05:09:52 AM

I mean they might be... but I didn't think it was too noticeable, and figures of giant pacific octopus are few and far between. There is a big one from Safari ltd that looks quite nice, but it has two syphons (and I try to avoid the huge figures).
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

JimoAi

Quote from: Koifish on May 27, 2021, 12:58:38 PM

This little brown-throated sloth I pulled from a Yowie egg. I love that it's green  ;D

Quote from: JimoAi on May 25, 2021, 05:09:52 AM

I mean they might be... but I didn't think it was too noticeable, and figures of giant pacific octopus are few and far between. There is a big one from Safari ltd that looks quite nice, but it has two syphons (and I try to avoid the huge figures).
I heard they've fixed the siphon issue several years back