Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Today I received the four arthropods as part of Colorata's 2016 Deep Sea Creatures Set. Wow. It's been a while since I've needed anything from Colorata (the stag and rhinoceros beetles, specifically). Their quality has improved incredibly!
The four figures come with bases and pegs; the pegs are long so you can cut them to the desired length.
The arthropods include: deep sea isopod (Bathynomus, presumed B. giganteus), giant Japanese spider crab (Macrocheira kaempferi), and two neew unique species, the Yunohana crab (Gandalfus yunohana), and the hydrothermal vent squat lobster (Shinkaia crosnieri) [walk-around coming soon of the last, and maybe others...] Because I bought the figures independently, I do not have the booklet so I am assuming I have the scientific names correct.

brontodocus

Those Colorata figures are awesome, Blaine, congrats! :) But I think I'll go for the full set. Two days ago my PNSO order arrived (with some paint rub) and it seems I'll only have to pay 19% import tax. :)

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

Quote from: sbell on April 07, 2016, 11:21:56 PM
I don't usually collect inverts/creepy crawlies either, but there are some--like the water bugs and earwig--that I also had to have.

And the tardigrades. I have several of those...

Sbell - When you say you have "several" tardigrades, how many are we talking? I know of three by Japanese Kaiyodo-like companies, and few people have more than two of them. There's also an overpriced Shapeways version if you include those.
I like turtles.

sbell

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 26, 2016, 12:58:10 PM
Quote from: sbell on April 07, 2016, 11:21:56 PM
I don't usually collect inverts/creepy crawlies either, but there are some--like the water bugs and earwig--that I also had to have.

And the tardigrades. I have several of those...

Sbell - When you say you have "several" tardigrades, how many are we talking? I know of three by Japanese Kaiyodo-like companies, and few people have more than two of them. There's also an overpriced Shapeways version if you include those.

I think just the 3--Kaiyodo, Agatsuma and Takara. For a strange group like this, that's several!

BlueKrono

Cool beans. I've got the brown heterotardigrade and the clear eutardigrade but haven't gotten the most recent, that yellowish clear one. I did my college thesis on tardigrades, discovered at least four new species in my state, and have tattoos of two of them.  8)
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 26, 2016, 07:56:43 PM
Cool beans. I've got the brown heterotardigrade and the clear eutardigrade but haven't gotten the most recent, that yellowish clear one. I did my college thesis on tardigrades, discovered at least four new species in my state, and have tattoos of two of them.  8)

I have a fourth tardigrade figure, from Shapeways that I painted pale blue-green

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 26, 2016, 09:08:09 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on December 26, 2016, 07:56:43 PM

I have a fourth tardigrade figure, from Shapeways that I painted pale blue-green

I knew about that one, but I had three already, so I didn't get it!

sauroid

some recent figures i got
MBA humpback whale

MBA orca

MBA whale shark

Yujin helmeted iguana

Yujin marine iggy and epoch blue tail skink (not sure)

Colorata rainforest frogs (green poison frog and darwins frog)

NBGI manta ray

Eikoh prairie dog

Colorata melanistic leopard

unknown brand/species "ghost" shrimp

1990s Safari Ltd GWS

TOMY spotted seal

Jetoar

Humpback whale is a really treasure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Beetle guy

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone!

And now for something completely..... beetle. These figurines I collected last three/two months.

These are of the SEGA brand. Sega has been very..very prolific on their beetle output. These ones are slightly bigger than the small Sega series http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=32.msg14096#msg14096 and also more detailed in a way.
From top left to bottom. Prosopocoilus giraffa, Lucanus maculifemoratus, Odontolabis burmeisteri, Allotopus rosenbergi and Dorcus curividens.

Dynastes neptunus,dynastes hercules lichyi, dynastes hercules lichyi, Megasoma elephas, Golofa porteri and Chalcosoma caucasus. I have also a Megasoma acteon of this series (not in pic).

Big Sega beetles scale 1:1 and larger than live. Prosopocoilus inclinatus (a real hard find. I had never seen it before. it came in a blister package), Dynastes satanas (really cool and detailed model. I had one that I gave away but glad to have it back now ;-)), Allomyrina dichotoma (also very detailed. but bigger than scale 1:1), Allotopus rosenbergi, Prosopocoilus giraffa (I think one of the worste figurines by Sega. It is way out of proportion in many ways), Dorcus titanus, Chalcosoma moellenkampi (this one really stands out and can almost compete with the DeAgostini series), Allomyrina dichotoma (weird one, came in blister as well but does not even have a line between the elytra ques a production fault).

More big (scale 1:1) of Sega: Megasoma acteon (blister package, longer forelegs), Megasoma acteon, Megasoma acteon flying (this one comes with a stand), Megasoma elephas flying and Megasoma elephas it is.
These models have some of the same molds per species. But with variations in parts.

More flying Sega big ones (bigger than scale 1:1 in most cases. Odontolabis burmeiseri, Prosopocoilus giraffa, Allomyrina dichotoma, Hexarthrius parryi  and Allotopus rosenbergi. Al came in a blister package that included a big black stand to display them in different poses.

And yet another Sega series. This ones came with a little "shooter" to boast the beetles in the air. Odontolabis cypri, Allomyrina dichotoma, Odontolabis wallacei, Allotopus rosenbergi, Dynastes hyllus, Odontolabis burmeisteri, Megasoma gyas.

And a Tomy Takara brand Allotopus moellenkampi moseri. about 9 in 10 times the "Golden stag beetle" in Japanese figures is a A. rosenbergi so this one is a welcome variation!
You can recognise them easily by the mandibles.

Allotopus moellenkampi

Allotopus rosenbergi

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Sega is out of control with these :-) and while they are appealing there comes a point where I am not sure I need another of each of these....that being said if they were offered I would prob give it a try. Especially complete sets (that way I know what goes with what...)
The flying ones are especially cool.

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 02, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
Sega is out of control with these :-) and while they are appealing there comes a point where I am not sure I need another of each of these....that being said if they were offered I would prob give it a try. Especially complete sets (that way I know what goes with what...)
The flying ones are especially cool.

:) the flying ones are cool indeed. Forgot to mention that the soft wings can be detached and the elytra closed.
The flying ones are listed regularly on YHauctions. The Megasoma elephas is the best I think. There is also a Mesotopus tarandus, and two D. hercules (grey and yellow). That is the whole lineup of the flyers.
To beetle or not to beetle.

sauroid

Quote from: Jetoar on December 31, 2016, 12:34:34 PM
Humpback whale is a really treasure  ^-^.
indeed Jetoar. thanks.  ¡Feliz año nuevo!  ;)

CetaceanFan

Nice figures  :D  ^-^
Also that MBA Humpback looks nice

stargatedalek

Found a K&M hissing roach today, I'd expected it to be small (PV sized) but it's about 1:1 for a very large adult. Large enough it could safely be 2:1 for a small adult. If I'd known how large it was I would have tried to find one sooner.

brontodocus

Wow, so many cool newcomers! 8) Congrats, AcroSaurotaurus, sauroid, and Blaine! :) The MBA Humpback Whale is one of the coolest whale figures!

Got my first Safari Ltd 2017 figures (and one Schleich)! :D

bmathison1972

Those Safari primates are outstanding. Safari really dominated this year. Had I collected primates, I probably would have wanted them all to be the wild safari size but still the bigger ones are great.

CetaceanFan

Wow, that's one beautiful sight ahead of me. A group of amazing Safari models.
Also brontodocus, are you going to make reviews of these?

brontodocus

Thanks, Blaine and CetaceanFan! :) Yes, I'm quite happy about the primates, too, especially the IC Squirrel Monkey. I'll try to make photographs for some walk-arounds as soon as possible but I'll probably not be able to do so before next week.