Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 24, 2015, 12:19:59 AM
Nice, Sean! The Takara Amazon critters look nice, as does the Kaiyodo naked mole rat and many others.

Thanks. The weird thing about the Amazon set is that the figures only display properly by using the holes on the half-shell of the capsule. Otherwise they all have a weird curve to the bases! It's especially weird on the Arapaima, since the base is small. The dolphin and anaconda wrap along the curve better.

Jetoar

My last acquisitions  ^-^.

and a great haul of Transformers  ^-^.

Yesterday I bought the Electronic Stomp & Strike T-rex  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Awesome newcomers, altogether!  :) It seems the latest CollectA figure releases are finally becoming available in Germany, too, so I'll probably get them too, soon. In the meantime I bought some oldies:

Jetoar

Wisent it is a really treasure  ^-^.

bmathison1972

I recognize the Bullyland hornet. Is the mantid also by Bullyland? I have a set of dollar store figures that I have come to realize are Bullyland knock-offs, and a mantid from the set looks a lot like that one in size and spread.

Jetoar

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 06, 2015, 03:36:25 PM
I recognize the Bullyland hornet. Is the mantid also by Bullyland? I have a set of dollar store figures that I have come to realize are Bullyland knock-offs, and a mantid from the set looks a lot like that one in size and spread.
I think that Mantis is from Safari  ^-^.

sauroid

cool new figures guys. i especially love that wisent too Dr. Andre.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Jetoar on September 06, 2015, 06:40:59 PM

I dont think so. If the mantis is from Safari, it is a TOOB figure as it is too small (and the wrong posture) for a Hidden Kingdom or Smithsonian Collection mantis.

brontodocus

Thanks, Blaine, Jetoar, and sauroid! :) The mantis is indeed the one from the Safari Ltd Insect Toob. It was a freebie which came together with the others. The wisent was one of those figures I always wanted to have. And the Bullyland slug is a figure I wasn't aware of until recently. While it looks superficially like the ubiquitous Spanish Slug, Arion vulgaris (=A. lusitanicus), it has a dorsal keel which is typical for Limacidae rather than Arionidae.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on September 06, 2015, 08:46:22 PM
Thanks, Blaine, Jetoar, and sauroid! :) The mantis is indeed the one from the Safari Ltd Insect Toob. It was a freebie which came together with the others. The wisent was one of those figures I always wanted to have. And the Bullyland slug is a figure I wasn't aware of until recently. While it looks superficially like the ubiquitous Spanish Slug, Arion vulgaris (=A. lusitanicus), it has a dorsal keel which is typical for Limacidae rather than Arionidae.

Thanks Andre. I actually never got the Safari Insect TOOB believe it or not lol. But most of those figures are the same used by K&M, Toy Major and others.

Jetoar

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 06, 2015, 07:59:54 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on September 06, 2015, 06:40:59 PM

I dont think so. If the mantis is from Safari, it is a TOOB figure as it is too small (and the wrong posture) for a Hidden Kingdom or Smithsonian Collection mantis.
I bought the same Mantis in a toys store allone with a grasshopper, butterfly (Siderone nemesis) and caterpillar in a toys store  ^-^. I supposed they are of a Toob but they were alone  :o. I bought today in a flea market a haul of Collecta figures that include a Bottlenose dolphin and same figures of dinosaurs  ^-^.

stargatedalek

brontodocus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 07, 2015, 05:29:03 PM
A tentative ID, but the slug could be Limax maximus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limax_maximus
It's one of the possible contenders I had in mind, too. But the respiratory pore should have been placed further back to represent a member of Limacidae, so that's not a 100% match, either. Limax maximus, as an adult, is very rarely coloured like this (although thy are very variable and almost patternless specimens do exist). Currently, I favour the closely related Limacus (or Limax) flavus. Also because its German vernacular name "Bierschnegel" means "beer slug". ;D

bmathison1972

new bugs for Blaine (well, new since my last posting of new things).

First a couple butterflies: the mountain Apollo by Jetoar and the monarch by K&M Wild Republic - Polyvinyl Insects Bag. I had bought my K&M large insects individually from a toy store years ago (1999, maybe 2000). I never had the butterfly, so I finally bought it individually on eBay:

Secondly, I got the Disgusting Facts Kit by Discovery Kids. Among other things not of interest, it does include a scorpion, centipede, cockroach, small flies and spiders and....fake dog poop with flies on it (yes Sean, really). I figure after getting a pubic louse earlier in the year, I couldn't go any lower...

The larger arthropods are soft and rubbery; too bad for the long term because I actually really like the scorpion!

Jetoar

Wonderful new acquisitons Blaine, I an happy to see Mountain Apollo  ^-^.

stargatedalek

I have a lot of cockroaches with that same mold (they were sold for a dime each so I have dozens :P ) but they are in light brown. The plastic is "soft-ish", but its not like sticky or stretchable.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 10, 2015, 11:53:44 PM
I have a lot of cockroaches with that same mold (they were sold for a dime each so I have dozens :P ) but they are in light brown. The plastic is "soft-ish", but its not like sticky or stretchable.
Yes I have a few that are similar but not quite the same. They are soft but not sticky nor stretchy.

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine! :) The K&M Monarch is quite a large figure. I thought about turning mine into a giant papilionid, e.g. one of those Troides birdwings. That way the six legs wouldn't be inaccurate, anymore. Unfortunately, the figure is made from a soft material which makes the wings droop, so far I'm not sure how to fix that (I thought about gluing pieces of wire under the wings, though). Oh, and the translucence of the cockroach looks quite good! :)

bmathison1972

some generic buggies for Blaine this week:

First a large (you can see it next to one of my running shoes) mantis. I bid for it, and won, on eBay for $0.99 (the shipping was a lot more than the cost haha).

Next a bunch of misc. rubber insects I purchased as part of a lot on eBay. Some interesting figures in this mix including the ground beetles Anthia thoracica and Mormolyce cf. phylloides, the buprestid Julodis sp., a couple interesting cassidines, the weevil Trachelophorus giraffa, and what appears to be an assassin bug in the subfamily Peiratinae (corsairs). I am also fond of the coccinellid with the exposed wings.

Edit, Sept 16:. I have identified the cassidines as Agenysa connectens and Omaspides erichsoni!

brontodocus

And congrats once more, Blaine!  :) Those smaller insects are amazing, I have never seen a Mormolyce figure before. The green scarab looks like a Phanaeus or similar genus. The golden scarab is probably meant to represent one of those golden Chrysina species.

On Wednesday I finally got my new CollectA figures! :D